Hall of Questions

Ummm. Didn’t there used to be a forum with this name? Like, a couple of days ago?

Once upon a time, in days of yore…

There have been some minor reorganisations, I presume Carleas has the announcements cued up and ready to go any minute now. cough

HoQ has, I believe, been merged into The Sandbox, which is for generally philosophical questions that don’t make the grade of the other boards - questions, help with homework, philosophical assertions by TPNs without any argument, and so on.

HoQ was always halfway between philosophical and social, so the questions are heading to the Philosophy section. Mundane Babble’s been changed to Off Topic, and the social side of HoQ can go in there.

You young people with your newfangled ideas…

The description makes it seem more like the inverse of the “Academy”. A place for posts that pass the minimum requirements, but just aren’t very good for other reasons. And it’s in the Philosophy Forums section. Since that’s the case, “Sandbox” is a poor name. It should be called “Garbage Dump”.

HoQ was nice because you knew what you were going to find there. When I want to read some pure crap, and I go to the “Sandbox”, I’m almost disappointed to find nothing but a single line question. Imagine that.

I just noticed, yesterday I think. It’s an improvement. A lot of good philosophy begins with open-ended inquiry, rather than a thesis. Hall of Questions always mildly confused me. The description was pretty specific - it seemed as if you couldn’t just make a couple short statements (as opposed to some question about some philosopher or something) and see where things lead.

Most theses belong in a garbage dump. A quick statement about something can get something rolling.

Exactly right. The ‘philosophy rules’ shouldn’t require a thesis, as if Plato just wasn’t good enough for a Philosophy Section.

No, it couldn’t have. Stop.

Who are you speaking for? Others?

Sandbox - where the Children play, maybe with make Believe trucks.
So…childish, pretend philosophy.
Seems unnecessarily rude. Garbage dump sounds better, since Sandbox is an implicit insult to the ones posting, whereas garbage dump is focused on the posts.
I also thought Hall of Q served a kind of specific function.
I suppose Children do ask questions, but then so do adults.
Will good questions go to Philosophy general and bad questions (?) go to the sandbox?

Lol.

Where children play is called a sandpit where I’m from. I wasn’t aware of “sandbox” meaning anything other than a place for tinkering and experimenting - as in sandbox computer games, sandbox software testing and so on. “Garbage dump” (or rubbish tip, where I’m from) is implicitly insulting as the inference is that it deserves disposal rather than further play/work.

Faust I’m 34 now I dunno I’m getting pretty old.

Also, can you please stop whatever else it is you’re doing and start spending at least 3 or 4 hours a day on ILP please? We would appreciate it.

Yeah…

But anyway, good to know the intention of the name, and a Place for tinkering is a rather positive spin. Perhaps the name could be changed for those on this side of the kiddie pool, but I get how it got the name.

As far as Garbage dump, sure, it’s negative, but as I mentioned it is aimed at the posts, not the people making them. Even Richard Rorty takes his old washer and drier to the dump.

I was waiting on the resolution of the other changes we’re discussing, but I will announce now.