On the proper way to have philosophical discourse.

Being that Only-Humean is a expert at moving threads to the unseen portion of the forum because they don’t conform to his rigid rules of philosophical discourse as a way of censorship it got me thinking that our dear leader should write a rigid conforming thread detailing the proper and inappropriate ways to have a philosophical discussion.

He could describe the right ways to have a conversation along with all the wrong ones. After that his interpretations and script can become ILP law ruled by a iron fist.

I’m sure dear leader is up to the task as nothing is beyond his omnipotence and omnipresent presence. What says you masta? Is masta up to the challenge for the rest of us?

Moved to H&S.

The Philosophy forum rules are fairly clear, I thought; if there’s something unclear about them, I’m only too happy to explain individual choices.

This is of course impossible, but I take it that is your point. However, even given that it is impossible to rigidly define what precisely qualifies a discussion of philosophy per se, it is still necessary to 1) categorize posts such that people looking for a certain type of discussion can browse relevant discussion easily, and 2) curate the discussion to economize on users limited time by relocating threads that are inappropriate or insufficiently developed.

Both of these decisions are value-laden, culturally biased, and ultimately subjective. There is, however, likely to be broad agreement about the center of the categories and about what counts as spam. The disagreements will tend to occur at the edges on both criteria. That is unfortunately inevitable, as it is inevitable always and everywhere that categories and concepts are employed (which is always and everywhere).

You are, I am sure, able to make out the thick center of the categories and concepts around which these moderating decisions are based, and could, if you so chose, target your posts to that thick center. If there were a problem identifying that thick center, that would a cause for concern. However, I note in your approach to participating on this site that you prefer to toe the line. That’s fine, but as I’ve suggested before, if you choose to live in the grey area, you will live in a sort of superposition of concepts and categories, and when others are called to classify your actions, they will do so unpredictably and frequently in ways you would prefer they didn’t. That is a risk you assume in toeing the line: like the raptor testing the electric fence, you will occasionally be shocked.

I tend to go to ‘view new posts’ so there are no unseen portions of the forum. I figure most people do that. But maybe I’m wrong.

So, this is where my thread went. Well, that answers my question on that.

No definitive answer or reply from the philosophical puritans running the ILP establishment I see. Just more gobbledy gook to mask their subtle authoritarian ways.

You got replies from me, and from Carleas. Are you having difficulty understanding them?

:-k Now, what was it again that contributed to your friend, Lucifer’s great fall?

Moderating? O:) :banana-dreads: :banana-angel:

:laughing: You always make me laugh with those smilies.
It would be quite strange if you were not a dancer or didn’t at least like to dance.

Probably would have been better for Lucifer had any loosened up a bit and learned to dance. He was probably a stuffed shirt.
:angry-tappingfoot:

No, not at all. The usual disinformation, obfuscation, and gobbledygook. As expected. Go ahead and keep censoring everybody here.

You only prove my assertions all the more of what I think of you.

You’re the worst person on this forum I know. You call yourself a nihilist, yet everyday you act like a puritan. You’re the worst kind of hypocrite who is conscious of what they’re doing.

You might, but that does not mean the majority of public internet traffic that goes through ILP does likewise.

People like to have credit and spotlight on their threads, you know for their laboring, but the moderators here throw that all out the window with the posts of users that they don’t like or have an agenda against.

I said “The Philosophy forum rules are fairly clear, I thought; if there’s something unclear about them, I’m only too happy to explain individual choices.”

Could you tell me which parts of that were disinformation, obfuscation or gobbledygook?

I don’t call myself a nihilist. And there’s surely nothing wrong with hypocrisy to an amoralist like you claim to be; if you think I’m using my power to my own ends you should be celebrating that, and my lack of regard for “honesty” or “consistency”. But let’s be clear: you’re a moralist, so you complain about how unfair and hypocritical it all is. And you don’t like me, because I keep pointing it out to you. Even “worst” is a moral judgement.

I’ve been trying to work on my ‘club’ moves recently. :banana-linedance: