Alternative to Banning

Well, cap, other than opinion, what proof do you have that the motive behind privacy just has to be sneakiness? I’ve already made my assessment and comments about public whining and the fact that a supposedly maligned member decides to become an ass in public doesn’t negate the principle of providing privacy. Check your assumptions. Quite possibly, administration is benign. To automatically assume malignancy isn’t a very solid perspective.

I’m through with this for the time being, but I’ll continue to take on the whiners when they appear. We may not all be adults, but it’s reasonable to expect people to ACT like adults.

you’ve already broken your argument the moment someone makes a thread. that’s it, check your foolishness.

I’ve always thought it would be amusing if you had a Member who was, “Banned,” but still allowed to post…the only problem would be that during his period of being, “Banned,” his posts could be deleted at random if nobody responded to them yet.

I imagine that would piss people off more than being banned, though I would think most people would end up waiting until the, “Ban,” was over to post again after losing the second or third lengthly post…

I’m just kidding about that idea, btw.

That wouldn’t work because a banned member who had posts deleted would just copy his posts, and repost them after they were deleted, like spamming. He’s banned anyway, so he would have no prerogative to follow the rules not to repost his deleted material.

This would be both funny and very effective. I think you should implement it.

How about instead of figuring out how to get in the way of philosophy by engineering more ways to ban people and end the conversation, you get behind philosophy and give it a good push to get it’s engine running again if you think in some vital thread it stalled.

Honestly, the UN wouldn’t work with this banning philosophy… it would fall apart and everyone would go back to their old demented ways. Banning isn’t the solution- thinking is.

This post has been edited by the Secret Police for quality assurance.

With an exception being someone joining to post links to handbags on discount sale, of course?

If everything is done in private with the Kabbalah of elite members as final arbiters of what is right, a forum is unlikely to change for the better. I think it’s better to make any relevant and non whiney threads open.

He could do that, but then I would just Edit all of his posts and replace his text with utter nonsense, or self-directed insults.

That’s childish. Just ban him and delete his posts. There’s no need to abuse your privileges to bully someone just because they had no right to be posting. If you weren’t serious though I appologise, but I’ve seen mods insert snarky comments, demean and abuse people they just banned and break what I think is a cardinal sin on a forum, rewriting what someone said just to amuse themselves. A persons post is not sacrosanct but it is at least their own, not yours.

You can sit around waxing lyrical about how great you are because you banned someone who was already banned, but I would think myself what made someone so annoyed that they returned and posted, and deal with that, rather than demeaning them again, or high fiving your colleagues with how big and clever you are in the secret mod area for mods. :wink:

If I may, maturity is probably a prime virtue of being a mod.

Apology accepted, I was kidding. Even the part about randomly deleting posts from my post yesterday was a joke.

If I were to give you access to Staff Discussion Forum…and I literally doubt if I could…you’d probably get bored and stop reading after about three minutes. We honestly just discuss things that affect the entire Forum as a whole and Moderate our individual Boards in whatever fashion we deem appropriate. There’s very little for us to discuss.

Much better to start self-victimising threads that encourage everyone else to bully them, right?

How do you feel about forcing someone to edit their post via the threat of bans?

I agree, it would be great if mods actually addressed the reason why someone acted in the way they did. I’ve attempted on dozens of occasions to explain how hypocrisy, double standards, incompetence and stupidity on the part of the mods led me to behave how I do. OH has responded with nothing but insults. Pav ignores the feedback and then does things to encourage the idiotic mob to rush in and defend him. Magsj just doesn’t seem to have a clue what’s going on. It’d be great if the mods actually treated human beings as human beings, instead of problems that require moderation. It’d be great if they acted like human beings, instead of self-appointed solvers of the problems that only exist because they’ve designated themselves the solutions to those problems.

But it’s never going to happen. Well, not here. Why? Because the mods were appointed because someone liked them, and for no better reason.

I would argue that obeying their own rules is a prime virtue of being a mod, but every time a mod breaks the rules and I point it out, I just get a load of boring, repetitive abuse and accusations of ‘whining’…

Lessee… Since I’m on his proclaimed ignore list, he won’t read this, so I can say whatever I like., right?

Or perhaps the “behavior” of demeaning moderators has caused the problem?

But you’re so good at it! You seem to have a natural talent for whining. And playing the poor victim card is even better.

Whether people or ideas, most of your posts demean one or the other with the same old “incompetent and stupid” line. Is there any wonder at how that is received by any member? The “problem” is your creation in the way you address people.

Now we’ll see if I’m really on his ignore list… :-"

I’ve not read the last two posts but I’m 99.9% certain they validate what I said previously.

What a pathetic stupid game… “I hate it when they throw my bullshit back in my face, so I’m gonna hide in the closet and ignore them.” It must be terrible to have to play the sulking bully. It get’s sooooo much sympathy.

I ignored 92.37843672% of the posts on this forum last week, and I still read them, figure it out.

SAITD v2 is trolling, not very well but he hooked you at least. :slight_smile:

The way to deal with a bully is to consistently keep a spotlight on them. The bullies and put down artists always have my attention until they tire of the game and wander off. Silence simple enables them to keep pushing. Even the most dense head eventually knows when their game has lost all credibility. I’m patient and persistent.

I agree don’t feed the trolls is not working, and never has. Well said. I withdraw what I said some time ago.

I’ve been online a long time, and seen trolls come and go, the best way I find of dealing with them is carefully explaining all the tricks they are using to troll, and if that doesn’t work highlight them and troll back. Now you may get banned for trolling trolls, but one thing is certain some troll will get banned. :slight_smile:

I think though if you get banned you at least get the feeling that you have done something to highlight how trolls operate, even if it is leading by example.