An Ethics Forum

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Select all of the following statements that you agree with:

ILP should add an ethics forum
35%
It's OK to Archive the Linguistics forum, moving topics by request to an appropriate forum.
35%
It's OK to Archive the Essays and Theses forum, moving topics by request to an appropriate forum
26%
None of the above
4%

Total votes : 23

Re: An Ethics Forum

Postby Amorphos » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:48 am

Carleas

Ok, I see your point, and agreed.

Pezer

I’d like to post in a logic forum! Think about that. :o
It could be self moderated to a large degree ~ if users make sure of accuracy and relevancy, but I see a lot of posts that kinda gloss over ones replies, or make some other indirect statements. Worth a try as a sub-forum perhaps.
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
Amorphos
ILP Legend

Postby Pezerocles » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:59 am

Yeah, lets do a sub-forum.

Hell, we could simply go on the rules of ettiquete that you pointed out on that thread!

All I want is for a room to exist where there is a maintained status of logic.
Pezerocles
Led Zeppelin Satanist

Postby Calrid » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:31 am

Pezer wrote:Yeah, lets do a sub-forum.

Hell, we could simply go on the rules of ettiquete that you pointed out on that thread!

Given your reasoning, clearly and logically argued, I don't entirely think it's a bad idea it's up to the gods though.
“I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.”

Oscar Wilde - probably.
Calrid
Philosopher

Postby Pezerocles » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:32 am

Calrid wrote:
Pezer wrote:Yeah, lets do a sub-forum.

Given your reasoning, clearly and logically argued, I don't entirely think it's a bad idea it's up to the gods though.

O mighty Carelas... [-o<
Pezerocles
Led Zeppelin Satanist

Postby Amorphos » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Yeah, lets do a sub-forum.

Agreed! I look forwards to learning formal logic a bit more, and to people having to answer points made or concede them! :)
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
Amorphos
ILP Legend

Postby Historyboy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Ethic is the philosophy of morals and it is needed when two or more morals are mixed up. In our global world we must face a choice between 3 options: to live nihilistic, without morals, like animals or to become entirely Christian or Buddhistic: both are global religions; these two options can live without philosophy at all. And the third, last, would be to find out that set of values which will be the most wise one, either based on the existing morals or by combining with new values. Ethics serve to find that out and I think we can start already now.

It seems that the Declaration on Human rights of the UN has already set up the solution for us and we can do nothing else but fight against poverty in the world. According to the Declaration the individual has no juridical or moral sovereignty and thus all kind of philosophy or morals are a waste of time and will be forbidden if they become more than abstract.

Thus, if you do philosophy without a wish to make it real in some point in time, then you don't need ethics.
Life is will to power. - Nietzsche; Culture is and gives power and strength - Vollgraff; The only attribute of the mind is that he is powerful. - Aristotle; Mind is dragging us into the future and the heart into the present. - Aristotle; Those who can foresee deeds are born to rule and those who need to do them are born as slaves. - Aristotle; So, what is an aristocrat? He needs to be powerful, that means to be excellent in foreseeing things! - Me; The highest honor belongs to that one who is able to predict the moves of the enemy commander. - Machiavelli; If you want that what you have inherited to possess, you need to deserve it. - Goethe; Culture, which means exactly learning to calculate, learning to think causally, learning to prevent, learning to believe in necessity. - Nietzsche. [Autumn 1887, 10 [21]]; Morals in the narrow sense is the belief that the deeds of the ancestors will be transferred to the descendants. - Nietzsche
Historyboy
Thinker

Postby captaincrunk » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:58 am

I'd spend more time in the ethics forum than the other forums combined, and spend more time and effort on my posts there as well
captaincrunk
BANNED

Previous

Return to Meta