IP Addresses

This is a half serious request – mainly because it would be time consuming (?) for the administrator – but I would love to be able to see which user names have the same IP addresses.

When a new person arrives and hits the road running like he/she knows everyone and seems (?) familiar with everything that has gone on… I start to wonder.

I can understand that some people may want to leave the past baggage behind and start afresh… but unfortunately, we assume it’s a new person and end up wasting our time arguing the same issues and getting the same beliefs, the same ideas, the same opinions, the same information and the same outcome…. all over again. How can you learn by experience if the same lesson comes dressed up in drag?

I’m 50/50 about this issue because some people may genuinely want to start afresh and leave the bad blood behind while others rightfully argue that it infringes a person’s right to anonymity (and multiple personalities) but it also infringes my right to know who that person is, so I can make an informative choice on whether a discussion is worthwhile.

Yours Truly
EarthMonkey :wink:

PS: If I can’t beat them, I may seriously consider joining them – one for each personality.

It’s a good idea.

Hello F(r)iends,

What makes you think you have a right to know who that person is? If people want you to know who they are their monikers would be first name, last name and their avatars would be a picture of themselves. I don’t think it is a bad idea because I guess it can’t harm you if you have nothing to hide right?

I have no objection but I’d rather have less information about myself disclosed. If I wanted myself know I would announce it with flair in the Mundane Babble section.

-Thirst4Fun

Some people can do…bad…things with a persons IP adress.
This little bit of information being made public is also leaving the door open for more insideous goings on…

Firstly, My apologies somenewname. You were already talking about this topic at ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/vi … p?t=144618 and I overlooked it because I thought it had something to do with the old MUD’s. (Weren’t you “she” or some one else?)

Thirst, I don’t want to know any personal details I just want to know if I have been through a discussion with PoR (for instance) about religion and then came across him again (using a different user name/avatar) I wouldn’t go near him. I wouldn’t even read the thread. (This touches on a bigger issue about whose rights are seen as more valuable e.g. a persons right to anonymity/privacy or another person’s right to know who they are dealing with, but lets keep it focused on usernames).

Admittedly, the IP address IS pretty personal and, as Dr Sat said, putting IP addresses in the public domain isn’t wise.

The only way around it (again, time consuming for Ben and Co) is to be notified that person X and person Y. share the same IP address. It’s then up to each person to do what he/she wants with that info.

Ben did this with Thirst and his girlfriend (if I recall correctly?) by simply saying something like: “Thirst and person Y share the same IP address. Make of that what you will.” Perfect.

No apology necessary. I wasn’t advocating the MUDs be exposed, I was just talking about the phenomenon – and I think it’s cool that the “MUD” thing “stuck” (I am the first person to think it up, right? Is this not new? I don’t know what you mean by “old” MUDs).

I think it would save time to know who to avoid, but, on the other hand, it’s sort of ad hominem-ish.

And yeah – I was (still am on other boards) “She”.

The old MUDs I thought your thread was about are the multi-user dungeon (aka multi-user dimension or multi-user domain) internet role-playing, dragon-slaying games that have been around since computer monitors were black with green text.

Perhaps, but it would also mean being able to avoid speaking to people you like if you came to a mutual understanding about a particular issue previously.

I think all I would like to know is that person X shares the same IP number as person Y. That’s it. But quite frankly, there ARE more important things in this world to worry about… I just cant think of any at the moment. :slight_smile:

IP address are not for the general public as you don’t need to know them. If you have an issue with anybody where you think they are using a number of different IDs and causing trouble we can look into this.