determinism and free will

I have a suggestion to end the blood feud over free will.
Kindly create 2 new categories.
Therories on determinism that determinists can discuss, and theories on free will, that free willers can discuss

This is to allow both theories to develop without the slagging matches and feuding between defenders of the faith and defenders of universal rights and freedom.

Do you mean two new boards?

I think this idea is interesting, because this is one of the few subjects which are really worth discussing.

possibly, or 2 sections at the front.
see both determinism and free will are an unusual type of philosophy that describes and predicts the nature/physics/universal reality of the universe. They don’t really belong in philosophy as they don’t deal with something philosophical and yet they effect philosophy more than anything else so they don’t belong in any other site really.

But i think they are too important as the 2 principal arguments and foundations of all philosophy to simply incorperate them with the millions of sub branches.

Similar to the idea of seperating religion from philosophy.

I sorta agree with this in a way, but at the same time I see these opposing theories as being the wheel for each other… determinists talking about why determinism exists might result in fairly short threads filled with agreement

really?
i’ve seen some really long posts on determinism, longer that some of the free will ones.

I wouldn’t be opposed to it… I was just sorta thinking outloud

bad idea. when people argue, there’s no point in sepparating them. quite the contrary.

yea, you’re not getting this.
arguments within groups are productive as they help theories to be developed. Slaging matches between groups don’t.

It’s like the big, scientific conferences.
For most of the year, groups of scientists work on their ideas, free from the arguments brought on by their competition. After developing their ideas they all come together and present their arguments. at the moment its just presentation after presentation. Even threads marked “free willers keep away” free willers rear their ugly heads in and the same goes when they are trying to create their ideas. It’s counter productive and creates an environment of insults instead of good, honest philosophicising.

I’m not talking about placing a brick wall between them, just an aknowledgement of schools of thought.