I really, really Love Philosophy

I’m wondering if there are any aspirations for possible ILP.com merchandise? This is a great website, and I know that I wouldn’t mind purchasing an ILP.com shirt. It will bring more publicity to the website, and it wouldn’t hurt whosoever invests in this venture. Is this a ridiculous idea, or am I up to something?

The real reason I thought of this was because I talk about this forum to everybody I know that has an intellect. I wanted to have a shirt made with the websites name, but I didn’t want to for legal reasons. That is why I am suggesting this idea to the powers that be (Ben and the other great administrators).

I like the idea. Although I am not wealthy, as long as the shirts come at a reasonable price, you can count me in.

would business and finance be included within the economics forum?

Hey Smooth,

I really like this idea. We thought of doing some merchandise in the past but it never really got off the ground. The main bit is getting a design together for the merchandise. I like the idea of having the ILovePhilosophy.com logo (the one at the top left of this page) on it and perhaps a list of favourite quotations of philosophers?

Does anyone have any good ideas for designs or who would like to have a go at designing something?

The floor is open…

• ben

My suggestion is a frisbee as I already want an antiwar.com frisbee

Ben,

I would be honored to take a stab at it. It would be a project that I would love to see accomplished because I could use the experience for my company. I have already reserved the domain name for my company, but since the companies name isn’t known we are thinking of putting our logo on shirts and things of that nature.
Putting this together would be a labor of love since this forum has been my first step into the world of philosophy. The knowledge that I have so far received here is more valuable than the time I would put into putting some designs together.
I was thinking about aiming it towards the more mature person. Everybody in this forum only has one major thing in common, and that is the love of wisdom. Other than that, everybody has different religious, political, and cultural backgrounds. So my main focus is in coming up with a couple of items that could transcend all those barriers. I take this stuff pretty serious. It’ll be fun!!! Hey, and if anybody else also wants to jump in and come up with stuff, by all means. I’m not trying to “run” it. I just get excited about things like this.

Smooth, if you would like either of the graphic logos from the main homepage let me know and I’ll send you the Photoshop files, as these files are of a much higher quality then the ones now on display.

Wasn’t there some guy who designed that logo who had a right paddy about not having the rest of the site changed to his template about a year back? I can’t remember his name but he was one of the moderators at one point. I think I remember seeing it when I was browosing through old posts in mundane babble once. I mention it in case he catches whiff of the idea.

Or was that for a different logo that you had taken down before I started using the site?

Sorry, just noticed that it was in this forum he posted, Kjeevah, “Look in the top left corner of your screen”.

You’re right Matt, which is why we cannot use the version of the logo on the forums pages and will use the one which is on the main page which was designed by Pax.

thanks for the reminder!

• ben

Hey Smooth,

If you are interested in designing stuff for Ilovephilosophy.com i suggest you get in contact with Pax Vitae who is looking into it at the moment. Perhaps you can collaborate on some work or bounce ideas off each other?

Also, what do people think about choosing some good quotations from posts that have been made here? Like real corkers which were so profound they could have been said by one of the greats?

cheers

• ben

I like that idea at the end Ben. Magius’ melodramatic ‘I’d rather live with the pain of knowing the truth than with the pain of knowing the lies’ or my pretentious and rather ‘French’ ‘Time moves, therefore we should too’ both come to mind!

You should all look at philosophyfootball.com which has been a fairly successful philosophy t-shirt company. They’ve run big events as well in London featuring great contemporary philosophy stalwarts such as Keith Allen. I’d definitely be interested in offering an output to this. Not only is it a plausible business venture, but it would also promote ilp.com, whcih is always good.

Pangloss that is awesome, thanks for that website! It’ll come in handy. And I see much potential as a business venture in this, at least in the U.S! That is another reason why I am so excited about this. Mainly because my company is going to target people which think in a higher level.

How about t-shirts with the Avatar’s of ILP.com wall of fame, or honor. Go ahead and run with it. I was thinking that the staff, every three months (or whatever amount of time they decide), votes on a person to be either philosopher of the quarter, or inducted into the ILP.com wall of honor. Something, I don’t know. All I was thinking about was that there be a requirement of the people that get chosen.

The shirts would have the Avatar and location information just like if you were online looking at the forums.

I just wanted to express my hearty approbation to all the insights provided by everyone, I think these T-shirts are going to be a great hit. I also wanted to thank Pangloss for quoting me, especially since it has been a while since I have read that quote of mine. It brought back alot of memories and philosophical insights. Which is always a good thing, to me. Smooth, if the T-shirts begin to sell, you might want to open up a small business or one of those tables downtown and sell ILP T-shirts. I know that things like that are a real big hit there. In fact, I know of two locations where I may be able to sell quite a few as well. Has anyone got any info on pricing?

I already own a business, but currently all we do is organize and promote events. Being that I’m a performer and all, it is good for me. Pricing is a funny subject. Me and Obscure_Reality were talking about that yesterday over some pizza. It involves the quality of shirt we are looking for, and the originality. XXI Entertainment (my company) isn’t interested in the profit of this venture at all. But hopefully the profits, no matter how small or big, could be put to better use. And all that is being thought of. I have an awesome idea that I know everyone is going to love. But I don’t want to post it in the live rooms yet. I doubt this is original, but it will be great. Like I said, after Holloween I’m going to type up my proposal and email it to you all.

How go the merchandise designs?

• ben

they seem to be coming along ben. im not sure whether smooth has contacted pax vitae or not. i had the idea of emulating the new york shirts :laughing:

I Heart Philosophy

but havent really pursued it any further in design.

I will definitely purchase several of these things! Good job you guys.

Me and Obscure have been meeting frequently and discussing until we are blue in the face. Mostly about who we will get to create the shirts. The design will be the easy part in my eyes. But trying to get the best for the lowest price is the thing, so in essence we are shopping around.

The qoutes in the Mundane B. forum are great. But when the time comes to put things into the making, I really want to go through nearly every thread and pick out the best one liners as I can. Like I said earlier, I am going to concentrate more on this after Holloween.