the best of us

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

WHO IS ILOVEPHILOSOPHY.COMS MOST FEROCIOUS & OUTSTANDING MEMBER?

Carleas
0
No votes
MagsJ
2
10%
Wendy Darling
5
24%
Arcturus Descending
1
5%
Gloominary
3
14%
Serendipper
2
10%
fuse
1
5%
Iambiguous
2
10%
Karpel Tunnel
5
24%
Meno_
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 21

Re: the best of us

Postby barbarianhorde » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Whoala, Wendy Darling has taken the lead!
We might be looking at a big upset folks.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
User avatar
barbarianhorde
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: the best of us

Postby encode_decode » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:13 pm

The question from the poll: WHO IS ILOVEPHILOSOPHY.COMS MOST FEROCIOUS & OUTSTANDING MEMBER?

Arcturus Descending wrote:One that is outstanding as a philosopher in my opinion is Fixed Cross.

Yes and I feel the need to point something out . . .

barbarianhorde wrote:It is time. Tonight is the night, when all of us will know, who is the top dog of this place.

well tonight, the vote begins.

It is clear that we are not necessarily looking for the most outstanding philosopher on ILP but rather the most ferocious and outstanding member or otherwise "top dog of this place".

Just saying :lol:
    Neosophi | HOME | FORUM

    Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony
    (James S Saint)


    It’s not that truth itself is being eroded per se, it’s that fragmental falsification appears to be increasing.
    (Anomaly654)


    Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion.
    (Myself)
    User avatar
    encode_decode
    Philosopher
     
    Posts: 1210
    Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 pm

    Re: the best of us

    Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:23 pm

    Top dog of this place...

    It seems to me that that may vary at different times. Does it necessarily have to be written in stone? We are all like rivers ~ we ebb and we flow...but I may be wrong.

    I remember a time when you, encode-decode, may have been considered to be the top dog, at least by me. We have our lives, our lives change, our jobs keep us busy.

    This is all really subjective thinking anyway. But you, encode-decode, are brilliant. :mrgreen:

    I do not know why Fixed Cross and yourself were not on that list.

    I do not know why I was. LOL
    :auto-swerve:
    “How can a bird that is born for joy
    Sit in a cage and sing?”
    ― William Blake


    “Little Fly
    Thy summers play,
    My thoughtless hand
    Has brush'd away.

    Am not I
    A fly like thee?
    Or art not thou
    A man like me?

    For I dance
    And drink & sing:
    Till some blind hand
    Shall brush my wing.

    If thought is life
    And strength & breath:
    And the want
    Of thought is death;

    Then am I
    A happy fly,
    If I live,
    Or if I die”
    ― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience


    “No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
    ― William Blake
    User avatar
    Arcturus Descending
    Consciousness Seeker
     
    Posts: 15312
    Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
    Location: A state of unknowing

    Re: the best of us

    Postby encode_decode » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:28 pm

    Arcturus Descending wrote:Top dog of this place...

    It seems to me that that may vary at different times. Does it necessarily have to be written in stone? We are all like rivers ~ we ebb and we flow...but I may be wrong.

    I remember a time when you, encode-decode, may have been considered to be the top dog, at least by me. We have our lives, our lives change, our jobs keep us busy.

    This is all really subjective thinking anyway. But you, encode-decode, are brilliant. :mrgreen:

    Gee, you know how to make a man blush don't you? Yes top dog of this place does vary from what I have noticed and no it does not have to be written in stone but as someone pointed out it is a fun diversion from the norm. No you are not wrong, we do ebb and flow. I do like this diversion that barbarian has presented.

    Arcturus Descending wrote:I do not know why Fixed Cross and yourself were not on that list.

    I do not know why I was. LOL

    It is easy for us to dismiss ourselves Arc. I think you are one of the best of us.

    Wendy is awesome too :D then again - I like all the listed people and a number of unlisted people.
      Neosophi | HOME | FORUM

      Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony
      (James S Saint)


      It’s not that truth itself is being eroded per se, it’s that fragmental falsification appears to be increasing.
      (Anomaly654)


      Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion.
      (Myself)
      User avatar
      encode_decode
      Philosopher
       
      Posts: 1210
      Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 pm

      Re: the best of us

      Postby barbarianhorde » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:37 pm

      Rengel in politics, Serendipper in science: my 2 favourite posters.
      Dippers deconstruction of infinity, Rengels views on geopolitics send out sparks straight from the forge.

      If only these fellows could stop believing in the merit of consensus everywhere, and not just in the field they happen to be genius at, they could be real philosophers.

      Will be. Might be.
      Brilliant men even if still superstitious outside of their specialties.

      Consensus is truly only for women. And only for cheap women.

      Netwon had to invent differentiation and integration math in order to even express his insight so that rubbernecks could bend their heads over it and purrhups give it their precious consent.

      Fuck rubbernecks, and fuck consensus.

      Its only about power, the power to not be a rubberneck, to wield the fucking hammer and forge some iron steels.
      It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
      ~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

      THE HORNED ONE
      User avatar
      barbarianhorde
      Philosopher
       
      Posts: 1472
      Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm

      Re: the best of us

      Postby Carleas » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:01 pm

      It remains true that almost everyone who bucks the consensus is wrong. Lots of people can and do reject the consensus. The people that get remembered are the ones who identify where the consensus is wrong, and those people stand out precisely because the consensus is so generally right.
      User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
      Carleas
      Magister Ludi
       
      Posts: 5707
      Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
      Location: Washington DC, USA

      Re: the best of us

      Postby barbarianhorde » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:16 pm

      If never is most of the time then maybe.

      Because not ever has a single scientific theory been attained by consensus.

      The very essence of scientific conception is BREAKTHROUGH.
      It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
      ~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

      THE HORNED ONE
      User avatar
      barbarianhorde
      Philosopher
       
      Posts: 1472
      Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm

      Re: the best of us

      Postby Carleas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:40 pm

      barbarianhorde wrote:Because not ever has a single scientific theory been attained by consensus.

      This is a caricature of how science works. There are pioneering papers published every year that have literally thousands of authors.
      User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
      Carleas
      Magister Ludi
       
      Posts: 5707
      Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
      Location: Washington DC, USA

      Re: the best of us

      Postby Peter Kropotkin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:24 pm

      barbarianhorde wrote:If never is most of the time then maybe.

      Because not ever has a single scientific theory been attained by consensus.

      The very essence of scientific conception is BREAKTHROUGH.


      K: and how do we achieve this BREAKTHROUGH? Science is not done
      as an isolated pursuit... Newton for example said about his work,

      "If I have seen further it is by standing on ye shoulders of Giants"

      And Einstein stated he could not have done his work without
      the current work going on in math and physics for example the work
      of David Hilbert and Max Plank and Hendrik Lorentz..... so you are
      simply wrong... ALL science is done by consensus and working together...

      Kropotkin
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security
      wind up with neither."
      "Ben Franklin"
      Peter Kropotkin
      ILP Legend
       
      Posts: 6998
      Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
      Location: blue state

      Re: the best of us

      Postby Karpel Tunnel » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm

      Carleas wrote:It remains true that almost everyone who bucks the consensus is wrong. Lots of people can and do reject the consensus. The people that get remembered are the ones who identify where the consensus is wrong, and those people stand out precisely because the consensus is so generally right.

      Nicely put, and I suppose I agree. One trick is, it is hard to falsify. Now, while I think that even if we somehow could count all the times people went against consensus and were right and this has not been recorded - cause they killed them, cause they were ignored, etc. - it still would be a minority. That's my intuitive guess. My intuitive guess is also that not well recorded instances are much more numerous than we realize. That people are getting shut down with great regularity on political, paradigmatic and personal grounds. And how many backed off in the face of consensus, most without even knowing it. Perhaps our knowledge and perception have been evolving at a snail's pace.
      Karpel Tunnel
      Philosopher
       
      Posts: 1284
      Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

      Re: the best of us

      Postby Karpel Tunnel » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:42 pm

      Carleas wrote:
      barbarianhorde wrote:Because not ever has a single scientific theory been attained by consensus.

      This is a caricature of how science works. There are pioneering papers published every year that have literally thousands of authors.
      And I suppose some of them present theories, though generally on a small scale, filling in the gaps in already consensus-believed in models. Theories that change the way we view things probably are based on a few people strugging against current models.
      Karpel Tunnel
      Philosopher
       
      Posts: 1284
      Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

      Re: the best of us

      Postby barbarianhorde » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:14 pm

      Karpel Tunnel wrote:
      Carleas wrote:
      barbarianhorde wrote:Because not ever has a single scientific theory been attained by consensus.

      This is a caricature of how science works. There are pioneering papers published every year that have literally thousands of authors.
      And I suppose some of them present theories, though generally on a small scale, filling in the gaps in already consensus-believed in models. Theories that change the way we view things probably are based on a few people strugging against current models.


      Yes, obviously. We know this for a fact.

      It is extremely offensive to me that people actually believe this consensus shit. What a stupid joke modern man is.

      Democracy is a political system. If the Greeks knew people would go and try to claim science with it I doubt they'd have risked it.
      It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
      ~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

      THE HORNED ONE
      User avatar
      barbarianhorde
      Philosopher
       
      Posts: 1472
      Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm

      Re: the best of us

      Postby barbarianhorde » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:25 pm

      Newton, Keppler, Galilei, what a caricatures of what science is. How dare they stand in the way of our thousand authored articles. Pah. They're like, Sooo irrelevant, losers. Our Commission knows best because we Agree with each other.

      It's so warm we are all hugging. Newton, Copernicus, theyre just bums. We are Science. We voted and: we agree.
      It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
      ~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

      THE HORNED ONE
      User avatar
      barbarianhorde
      Philosopher
       
      Posts: 1472
      Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm

      Re: the best of us

      Postby Carleas » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:11 pm

      barbarianhorde wrote:It is extremely offensive to me that people actually believe this consensus shit. What a stupid joke modern man is.

      It sounds like you wish there were a consensus around how much shit consensus is. That's weird.

      barbarianhorde wrote:Newton, Keppler, Galilei, what a caricatures of what science is.

      OK, you've named three people in the history of science. Let's go ahead and round up to say there have been 1000 Einsteins.

      Compare that with the roughly 10 million scientists operating today, and you can see that most of science is not the lone genius shifting paradigms.

      Moreover, as Peter points out, even the Einsteins weren't operating in a vacuum. There was already a scientific consensus at the time of Einstein that luminiferous ether theory didn't match observation. Einstein's contribution was within that consensus, providing a theoretical model for the consensus about what we'd observed, and drawing on theoretical advances provided by others.
      User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
      Carleas
      Magister Ludi
       
      Posts: 5707
      Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
      Location: Washington DC, USA

      Re: the best of us

      Postby Meno_ » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:00 am

      Carleas wrote:
      barbarianhorde wrote:It is extremely offensive to me that people actually believe this consensus shit. What a stupid joke modern man is.

      It sounds like you wish there were a consensus around how much shit consensus is. That's weird.

      barbarianhorde wrote:Newton, Keppler, Galilei, what a caricatures of what science is.

      OK, you've named three people in the history of science. Let's go ahead and round up to say there have been 1000 Einsteins.

      Compare that with the roughly 10 million scientists operating today, and you can see that most of science is not the lone genius shifting paradigms.

      Moreover, as Peter points out, even the Einsteins weren't operating in a vacuum. There was already a scientific consensus at the time of Einstein that luminiferous ether theory didn't match observation. Einstein's contribution was within that consensus, providing a theoretical model for the consensus about what we'd observed, and drawing on theoretical advances provided by others.



      Yes, another hypothetical , that if not for that 1 Einstein , there may not have been another, nor thousands more.
      Meno_
      Philosopher
       
      Posts: 4093
      Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
      Location: Mysterium Tremendum

      Re: the best of us

      Postby Ierrellus » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:02 pm

      Karpel!
      "We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
      I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
      From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
      Ierrellus
      ILP Legend
       
      Posts: 12543
      Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
      Location: state of evolving

      Re: the best of us

      Postby MagsJ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:00 pm

      All active posters should be up for nomination, as all active posters make these boards what they are.. even Guide ; )
      The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

      --MagsJ
      User avatar
      MagsJ
      The Londonist
       
      Posts: 17739
      Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
      Location: London, NC1

      Previous

      Return to Meta



      Who is online

      Users browsing this forum: No registered users