Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Re: Unwarn me, I was falsely warned for no reason.

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:27 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Only_Humean wrote:iambiguous, please stop polluting every board and thread with your hobby-horse abortion discussion.

Note to others:

Where did this come from?

K: I must say, this really came out of left field... polluting every board and thread... really?

on another note, I actually think abortion is a good place to think about idea's
and what you really think....it isn't a straight, clear cut issue.... it has
nuances that often confuse people.....it is really a Rorschach test that forces one
to think about idea's......

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Peter Kropotkin wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
Only_Humean wrote:iambiguous, please stop polluting every board and thread with your hobby-horse abortion discussion.

Note to others:

Where did this come from?

K: I must say, this really came out of left field... polluting every board and thread... really?

on another note, I actually think abortion is a good place to think about idea's
and what you really think....it isn't a straight, clear cut issue.... it has
nuances that often confuse people.....it is really a Rorschach test that forces one
to think about idea's......

Kropotkin

I've tried to explain my admitted "obsession" with this issue.

My "thing" here at ILP is in exploring the existential relationship between identity, value judgments and political economy.

Thus this "groot" pops up frequently:

1] I was raised in the belly of the working class beast. My family/community were very conservative. Abortion was a sin.
2] I was drafted into the Army and while on my "tour of duty" in Vietnam I happened upon politically radical folks who reconfigured my thinking about abortion. And God and lots of other things.
3] after I left the Army, I enrolled in college and became further involved in left wing politics. It was all the rage back then. I became a feminist. I married a feminist. I wholeheartedly embraced a woman's right to choose.
4] then came the calamity with Mary and John. I loved them both but their engagement was foundering on the rocks that was Mary's choice to abort their unborn baby.
5] back and forth we all went. I supported Mary but I could understand the points that John was making. I could understand the arguments being made on both sides. John was right from his side and Mary was right from hers.
6] I read William Barrett's Irrational Man and came upon his conjectures regarding "rival goods".
7] Then, over time, I abandoned an objectivist frame of mind that revolved around Marxism/feminism. Instead, I became more and more embedded in existentialism. And then as more years passed I became an advocate for moral nihilism.

In other words, this particular "conflicting good" played a crucial role in the actual transformation of my thinking from objectivism to moral nihilism.

On the other hand, on my mundane babble, philosophy in music and philosophy in film threads, I have contributed literally thousands of posts here at ILP over the years. And, to the best of my recollection, abortion hardly ever comes up in them.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:04 pm

one of the issues of our day, and of ILP, is observational bias....
in which we observe things, idea's, events though our biases

each of us, to one extent or another do this....
the question becomes, how do we reduce our observation bias enough
to allow us the engage and understand the world.....

you see the world through the lens of your biases and I see
the world through my biases and for example, James see the world through his biases....

and those biases determine what kind of world we see... I see
a far different world then someone like, fixed cross.... and it is our biases
that decide that vision of the world we see........

the point of science is to view the world without biases and yet,
even science has its biases, if you see the world as mathematical,
then the world appears mathematical... and science sees/has a bias
that the world is mathematical.......

perhaps, perhaps the point of our existence is to attempt to see the world
with as little biases as we can... we can never eliminate bias but we can reduce
it.....understanding then becomes a case of understanding your biases, not
understanding the world.... enlightenment is really just a question of
understanding one's biases and then and only then trying to understand
or view the world...... it becomes a question of, how am I biased?
not what do I need to know or what should I do or how should I act?
but how am I biased?

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby Only_Humean » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:16 am

The point being, this is the Meta board, and the thread is no longer on topic.

Please continue your conversation on the more suitable Philosophy forums: Phil, SG&E, ST&M or R&S, depending on the angle you wish to take on it.

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Only_Humean wrote:The point being, this is the Meta board, and the thread is no longer on topic.

Please continue your conversation on the more suitable Philosophy forums: Phil, SG&E, ST&M or R&S, depending on the angle you wish to take on it.

Point taken.

On the other hand:

1] the overwhelming preponderance of my posts on this thread [over a dozen] relate to the manner in which folks are warned and banned here at ILP
2] I brought up abortion in responding to Phyllo's point about AutSider's "trajectory". AutSider having been banned for precisely the reasons that I noted in my posts on this thread
3] If I had a dollar for every time a thread at ILP has gone off-topic, I'd be richer than Don Trump thinks he is

Also, if you might be willing, I would certainly be interested in starting a new thread in which we discuss that which constitutes a "hobby-horse abortion discussion". What exactly is that?
Last edited by iambiguous on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:44 pm

:o :lol:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Only_Humean » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:58 pm

iambiguous wrote:Also, if you might be willing, I would certainly be interested in starting a new thread in which we discuss that which constitutes a "hobby-horse abortion discussion". What exactly is that?

(I notice you've been here seven years, congratulations!)

You're welcome to start whichever threads you like, but I'm merely referring to your standard belly-of-the-beast conflicting-goods post about abortion. In the last 6 months:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=193115&p=2675646#p2675646
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=193205&p=2675904#p2675904
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=193244&p=2676473#p2676473
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=193244&p=2677323#p2677323
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=186929&p=2677671#p2677671
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=186929&p=2677930#p2677930
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=193244&p=2679039#p2679039
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=193464&p=2683162#p2683162
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=193475&p=2684674#p2684674

So that's what it is.

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Only_Humean wrote:
iambiguous wrote:Also, if you might be willing, I would certainly be interested in starting a new thread in which we discuss that which constitutes a "hobby-horse abortion discussion". What exactly is that?

(I notice you've been here seven years, congratulations!)

You're welcome to start whichever threads you like, but I'm merely referring to your standard belly-of-the-beast conflicting-goods post about abortion. In the last 6 months:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=193115&p=2675646#p2675646
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=193205&p=2675904#p2675904
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=193244&p=2676473#p2676473
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=193244&p=2677323#p2677323
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=186929&p=2677671#p2677671
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=186929&p=2677930#p2677930
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=193244&p=2679039#p2679039
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=193464&p=2683162#p2683162
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=193475&p=2684674#p2684674

So that's what it is.

You began this --- whatever this is -- by, well, retorting:

iambiguous, please stop polluting every board and thread with your hobby-horse abortion discussion.

To which I responded:

1] the overwhelming preponderance of my posts on this thread [over a dozen] relate to the manner in which folks are warned and banned here at ILP
2] I brought up abortion in responding to Phyllo's point about AutSider's "trajectory". AutSider having been banned for precisely the reasons that I noted in my posts on this thread
3] If I had a dollar for every time a thread at ILP has gone off-topic, I'd be richer than Don Trump thinks he is

I've also acknowledged to K. above why I tend to focus the beam on abortion.

Let's take this to a new thread. Otherwise, we are continuing an exchange here that is clearly off topic.

There you can elaborate on both my "hobby-horse abortion discussion" and my "standard belly-of-the-beast conflicting-goods post about abortion".

What in particular makes you react to them as you do? How are your own arguments regarding abortion not embedded in a particular existential trajectory?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Meta