Wholeness

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Wholeness

Postby felix dakat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:18 pm

Dan~ wrote:This is because you have a different idea about what power is and what political is.

When i refer to political power, the vile kind,
i mean, everybody obeying an individual.
The more people you control, the more power you gain.

Charity and government can cause one another.
I never said good and government can't mix.

I tried to describe power by referring it to animal power.

It is that which can secure your life and make your will manifest in the world.

The definitions of my words are my own a little bit.

Power is often used as a synonym for energy. In classical mythology there are different kinds of power typified by the gods and the heroes. There's a power of Zeus's Thunderbolts. The power of Heracles' strength. The power of Aphrodite's beauty. Embodied power is easier to understand. Of course now we have the impersonal power of the nuclear warhead.
Theists pray to God the almighty and all-powerful thus making power a divine attribute which can never be left out because it makes God God. If power is the indispensable divine quality why not to use it affirmatively for humanity and the world?

Asclepius and Jesus had the power of healing. There is a need for healing today if our sick and broken souls are going to approach anything like wholeness.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:21 pm

"The supreme good is like water."

"The Tao is like a well: used but never used up. It is like the eternal void: filled with infinite possibilities."

Tao Te Ching

"Jesus answered and said unto her, Every one that drinketh of this water shall thirst again: but whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall become in him a well of water springing up unto eternal life" (John iv.13, 14).

The experience of Wholeness is a matter of staying open to the source, the ground and abyss of being.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Dan~ » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:31 pm

felix dakat wrote:"The supreme good is like water."

The supreme good contains infinite elements of every basic kind.
Water is a good one, but there is an unlimited amount of good-ones.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Be ware dumbasses that think they are intellectuals.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Postby felix dakat » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:21 pm

Dan~ wrote:
felix dakat wrote:"The supreme good is like water."

The supreme good contains infinite elements of every basic kind.
Water is a good one, but there is an unlimited amount of good-ones.

It's a simile. How is the ultimate good like water? I suppose all those elements of which you speak are contained in it and it is contained in the Tao. Where are we in this picture? Within the water of infinite possibilities what constraints do we imagine our selves/egos/brains/bodies limit us to? Here are three possibilities from cognitive science:
1 thought is mostly unconscious
2 abstract concepts(like the ones above) are largely metaphorical
3 the mind is inherently embodied
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:29 pm

Individuation, the actualization of wholeness, focuses on experiences of meaning. On these occasions one becomes aware of a sense of meaning inherent in the universe. The nihilists say it's projected meaning. But perhaps the meaning is there all the time, our minds are just too dull to notice it.

At these moments, peak experiences Maslow called them, our consciousness widens. We see the world as it is--full of meaning.

Religion tries to codify, ritualize and institutionalize these experiences. In them God speaks to us. But that expression is merely a metaphor for what is actually ineffable. Some atheists have these experiences too.

These experiences take us beyond the subject-object split. They intimate that our belief in our insignificance--that we have very little control over our lives and destinies and that we can't win, is a fallacy. They suggest that instead of broken mechanisms we are sleeping gods.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:27 pm

“When thought is closed in caves, then love will show its roots in deepest Hell.”

William Blake

The modern emphasis on the individual's insignificance results in a growing resentment towards the anonymous power that controls our lives. In some cases this resentment reaches homicidal levels as the need to release and assert one's being becomes urgent.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:34 pm

felix dakat wrote:“When thought is closed in caves, then love will show its roots in deepest Hell.”

William Blake

The modern emphasis on the individual's insignificance results in a growing resentment towards the anonymous power that controls our lives. In some cases this resentment reaches homicidal levels as the need to release and assert one's being becomes urgent.

Cute. Love doesn’t even have a hell. Nobody in hell is thinking “thank you love for sending me here for no reason just so you can save me so that I know you’re the boss”
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:19 pm

Ecmandu wrote:
felix dakat wrote:“When thought is closed in caves, then love will show its roots in deepest Hell.”

William Blake

Cute. Love doesn’t even have a hell. Nobody in hell is thinking “thank you love for sending me here for no reason just so you can save me so that I know you’re the boss”

You'll get no argument from me on that point.
Hold on to the center.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:37 pm

The importance of psychological centering to a sense of wholeness cannot be overestimated. Centering is a worthy goal of meditation or prayer.

Every act of the spirit presupposes given psychological material and, at the same time, constitutes a leap which is possible only for a totally centered self, that is to say, one that is free.
The relation of spirit to the psychological material can be observed in the cognitive as well as in the moral act. Every thought aiming at knowledge is based on sense impressions and conscious and unconscious scientific traditions and experiences, and conscious and unconscious authorities, besides volitional and emotional elements which are always present. Without this material, thinking would have no content. But in order to transform this material into knowledge, something must be done to it; it must be split, reduced, increased, and connected according to logical, and purged according to methodological, criteria. All this is done by the personal center which is not identical with any particular one of these elements. The transcendence of the center over the psychological material makes the cognitive act possible, and such an act is a manifestation of spirit.
Tillich, Paul. Systematic Theology, Volume 3 . University of Chicago Press. Kindle Edition.
felix dakat
Janitor

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality