I am my highest authority, judge and guide. Who is yours?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: I am my highest authority, judge and guide. Who is yours

Postby iambiguous » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:26 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
The non-religious seem quite good at devising, better than theistic laws, as most of the moral tenets they follow are showing to be making more peaceful and law abiding people in countries where there is less religion.

Still: What non-religious people in what set of circumstances in regard to what sets of behaviors that come into conflict over what particular moral prescriptions and/or proscriptions?

Though I certainly agree that to the extent any human community eschews moral and political objectivism [God or No God] there is a greater likelihood that interactions will revolve more democratically around the rule of law...revolving in turn around moderation, negotiation and compromise.

I only point out here that the arguments of those like Marx and Engels are an important consideration in regard to the role that political power plays. Political power is derived from economic power. And economic power is often decisive when laws are enacted.

In particular how this is manifested in the modern world through crony capitalism in the West and variations of state capitalism in nations like China and Russia.

Greatest I am wrote:Don't go by reactions in this kind of place as too many are a holes with nothing better to do than bully.

Regards
DL

I react here as I always do. By asking...

What authority do you believe acts to guide you in your moral judgments? How did you come to acquire this view given the manner in which I construe the meaning of dasein in precipitating the existential contraption "I"? How would you go about demonstrating in a particular context why your own value judgments are said to be either the optimal manner in which to choose one's behaviors or are in fact the only rational manner?
Objectivists: Like shooting fish in a barrel!

He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Re: I am my highest authority, judge and guide. Who is yours

Postby MagsJ » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:47 am

Greatest I am wrote:Interesting time are a coming.

We will either collectively live, die or fight a WWIII, and like the last war, no country will go untouched by it.

Regards
DL

I’m all for interesting times ahead.. I despise complacency, conspicuous consumption, and over-indulgence.. qualities that don’t harbour the furtherment of humankind.

I actually think that we are currently living WW3.. a war of chems.. in our food, and in our meds, and in our vax, which disable the fight in us, and so we either live passively, or acquire system overload and die.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

The Lions Anger is Noble

Image Image Image Image Image
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Location: London, NC1 … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … Clan motto: Nobilis Est Ira Leonis

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality