Thank God for Evolution

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Thank God for Evolution

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:31 pm

duplicate
Last edited by Ierrellus on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Aware-ness » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:17 am

I don't want to diminish "The Greatest Story Ever Told." I think deep time and deep space, and the evolution of it is a great way of looking at our development, and that of the universe, both present and future (evolution is not done) ; a great 'world view,' if you will. But I'm not sure about personifying it.

I'm not sure about imbuing it with personhood like that of the evangelical belief in a personal God. And, unlike Michael Dowd, I don't think I can worship it ... again, like evangelicals and others worship Yahweh.

However, Dowd does consider that his gospel of evolution reveals "Ultimate Reality." Reality is God, to hear Dowd tell it. And worship of that God is to honor it to such an extent that we align ourselves to Reality.

It does sound like that would produce the best mental health possible ; if our brain chemistry doesn't work against it, producing delusion, or misalignment to Reality.

So maybe I can have a type of worship toward Realty, if that means aligning with it. And maybe it helps to personify it.

I don't know. I'm new to all of this. I don't even know what Ultimate Reality is.
"The religion that is afraid of science dishonors God." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Praying to an otherworldly God is like kissing thru glass." - Paul West
Aware-ness

Postby felix dakat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:24 pm

From my point of view ultimate reality is inferable intuitively but unknowable as it is in itself. It is the object of philosophical faith although some like Rorty reject the intuition as illusory.

felix dakat
Janitor

Postby phoneutria » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:09 pm

I too just got a thesaurus. Dunno how to use it yet tho.
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming

Postby promethean75 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:42 pm

Yeah right. Dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years, dumbass.

Let me guess, it's like a stegosaurus or a brontosaurus, right? Fuck outta here.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Aegean » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:26 pm

I think she meant dick-tionary.
She got it, but doesn't know how to use it.
Aegean
Thinker

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:14 am

Omg... Aegean...
Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Postby phoneutria » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:07 pm

It's a good thing we named most of the dinosaurs like a hundred years ago when all we were into was mythology and speaking Latin, if they just learned about dinosaurs now and had to name 100s there'd be a Heckin Chonkosaurus and a Northern Thicc Scaleyboy

Yeah I stole that, eat me.
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:27 pm

Worse.

They would be called frook and quinor. That's even too flattering.

Clooc. Swarn. Bitor.
Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:28 pm

Lol those are actually good names.

Listen I can't do it.
Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Postby Aware-ness » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Creatheism
“We have all heard some
fundamentalist-minded person say
something like, ‘Don’t tell me I’m
related to monkeys.’
The fact of the matter is that now
that we have discovered DNA and
its code, we know that we are not
only related to monkeys, we are
related to zucchini. So let’s get over it.”

—MARLIN LAVANHAR

Hey everybody. Sorry for being absent for awhile ; heath issues.

First off I'm a newbie out here. I'm just beginning to get my see (sic) legs.

I feel to admit that I'm drawn to Thank God for Evolution because I identify with the author's life journey. We both were 'born-againers.' We have that in common. And we both left it behind but can't get it out of our system. After all -- as Dowd has it, now that he's a evangelist of evolution -- that we're in the middle of a so far 13.8 billion process of evolution, evolution has brought us to here, and is continuing when we -- the royal we at present -- are long gone.

In short, Dowd does claim that we evolved from early life forms, like reptiles, apes and such (simplifying), even earlier of course, so evolution has left those inborn natures lingering within us ; such as, the basics : "Eat, Survive, Reproduce." But those natures and instincts were for challenges back then, don't fit well today, and give us problems and challenges in our modern age (and maybe is why we live in a postmodern age -- produced by those inborn natures, mixed with modernism ... IMHO.

Here Dowd speaks of what he likes to call, "The Monkey Mind" :

"Why does our “Monkey Mind” exhaust us with incessant chatter, and what can we do about it?

This part of our brain, the neocortex, could be called our chatterbox, calculator, or computer brain because it is incessantly talking to itself (fretting about the past and worrying about the future), performing rudimentary cost-benefit analyses, and computing the balance of favors and debts in each of Furry Li’l Mammal’s social relationships. Monkey Mind is the nickname I shall choose here, because that name is already in use by Buddhists, . . ."
Dowd, Michael. Thank God for Evolution (p. 16 and p. 150). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Taming Our Monkey Mind
How can we be guided by the divine within and around us, rather than distracted by our ceaselessly chattering Monkey Mind? How can we develop a habit of periodically silencing the thinking, interpreting, judging part of our brain so as to pay attention to the still small voice of the Holy One to whom we ultimately belong? The following two exercises are elegant means for quieting the rational, verbal part of the brain and thereby facilitating a state of joy and peace.
Dowd, Michael. Thank God for Evolution (p. 211). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Aware-ness

Postby Aegean » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:45 pm

I thank god for absolute order and Universal determinism.
Actually, that's redundant.
I thank the uni-verse for its absoluteness.

Saves me from myself.
Aegean
Thinker

Postby Aware-ness » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:28 pm

Okay, thank God for evolution. But who do we thank for devolution? As Mark Twain quipped : "I don't believe in evolution. Man devolved. Into the lowest form of animal on the earth." - Paraphrased from memory.

What does Dowd do with that?
Aware-ness

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality