free will.

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

free will.

Postby mannequin01 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:50 am

Free is the dirty trick God plays upon the human soul, allowing it to incriminate itself then holding man responsible for the errors in creation.
mannequin01

Re: free will.

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:01 pm

mannequin01 wrote:Free is the dirty trick God plays upon the human soul, allowing it to incriminate itself then holding man responsible for the errors in creation.

Milton describes Adam & Eve's guilt as "felix culpa", happy guilt in that it was part of a plan for having a savior. We incriminate ourselves in order to be saved.
I don't see any evidence of free will in evolutionary determinism.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby barbarianhorde » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:19 pm

mannequin01 wrote:Free is the dirty trick God plays upon the human soul, allowing it to incriminate itself then holding man responsible for the errors in creation.

Well.... its kinda true.

Its all a case of entrapment! :lol:
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby lordoflight » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:12 pm

People make free will threads saying free will is not real. But how do we know?

If the brain operates at a quantum level, for all we know free will is real. We know so little about consciousness. For example, the other night, I had a creative idea in the middle of the night, I got up, and made the choice to go back to sleep. In the morning, I forgot the ideas. I could have made something great, but I chose not to. And it seemed like free will.
lordoflight

Return to Religion and Spirituality