The One Spiritual Morality

is Temperance.

But what does this mean?

I figured out a way for myself understand and approach it. Namely: to seek a balance between give and take.

This is especially convenient if one has much to give.

Morality should be: the inherited commandment to never undersell ones values. Morality imposed on morality; morality must not carry values, but only sustain the pursuit of them. It is a bone structure, something unseen, what normal people call The Will.

Yes, I agree. This has taken me a long time to get. There is a related issue for me: keeping right distance from other people. Not getting to close and often staying there because it would be great IF this was a good idea, but it isn’t. Not staying away for reasons that seem important and are not.

It comes from words meaning moderation, but I like balance better, which it sometimes means now. One can be immoderate in the right places, that is extreme. But it has to fit the…other person, situation…

IOW it needs not be a top down self-control, but actually listening and feeling all the warning signs - they give too much, they take too much, something is off here buy damn she is wonderful (?).

Yes.

Can you rephrase.

Agree. It is not unlike detective work, or science.
And therein I find a lot of satisfaction as well. It works (life gets better) and you can trace what exactly made it work.

Let me try.

Lets say morality as I see it isn’t in the fruits of the tree, which would be the specific “wisdoms” gained by tradition, society’s collected oughts.
But it is in the stem of the tree. Morality is not in the rules, but in the fortitude and consistency that was able to become a law-giver.

Like a tree gives fruits, so a moral constitution gives rules - but the rules can be replaced. The only thing important in the rules is that they carry the consistency of the constitution (I am deliberately using a word that can mean both “integrity of the build” and “fundamental law”); the seeds in the fruits.

Without such a constitution to back up the law with meaning, rules become tyrants and thieves of life. It is precisely because runes need to be changed when circumstances change that the fortitude of the moral one is required; only the moral one can judge the merit of rules - only a powerful individual of integrity is a standard against which the value of different behaviours are measured.

Fortitude and consistency are thus universal moral values, values from which particular morals will always keep being born.
And the scales of balance fit in this picture. Consistency and fortitude are certainly essential qualities to a scales. It needs to carry a lot of weight, and be clean and well-built enough to measure great weights against each other.

I tried to find who said it but could not.

Do not be for or against.

I do not think we can actually do so as we all have biases, but we should all try to ignore those biases when examining propositions.

Regards
DL

It was I who said it.
Thanks for the reply.

Nah. That saying is older than you but I too plagiarize on occasion.

My question was on biases and you do not seem to have a solution on how to ignore them.

Regards
DL

Yah, I said that.
Nah, it’s not been said before.

Don’t be so jealous even before I can show you how smart I really am.