Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby Greatest I am » Sat May 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Idolatry literally means the worship of an "idol", also known as a cult image, in the form of a physical image, such as a statue or icon. In Abrahamic religions, namely Christianity, Islam and Judaism, idolatry connotes the worship of something or someone other than God as if it were God.


All of those concepts and images, real or imaginary, are stored in our minds. That makes them a part of our ideals and ideology. All worship their ideologies and hold it as our greatest ideal in thinking.

Anything else is semantics.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=co ... ORM=VRDGAR

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby Greatest I am » Sat May 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Ecmandu wrote:As they say, a being who wants to be worshipped isn't worthy of worship. To explain what this phrase means: don't worship!!


You cannot help yourself, unless you have an ego problem.

Give a listen to the link in the post just above.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby Greatest I am » Sat May 12, 2018 1:47 pm

phyllo wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:As they say, a being who wants to be worshipped isn't worthy of worship. To explain what this phrase means: don't worship!!
Maybe God doesn't care about being worshiped.


Are you an evolving creature?

Do you seek to be one of the fittest of your species or one of the less fit?

If you are not trying to be the fittest, then you will not care about love and worship and such concepts.

Do you not love yourself? Is love not a form of worship?

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby Greatest I am » Sat May 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:[

Me personally, I am not a big fan or worshipping, not because respecting and loving are bad but because one is told what to feel, rather the feeling coming naturally from the relationship. That's me.


Can you be told what to feel? Sure.

Can you feel the way someone tells you to feel? No.

If a poster here told you to love them, for instance, you would quickly tell them where to go.

Do you love yourself?

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby Greatest I am » Sat May 12, 2018 2:08 pm

To all.

Jesus said to love yourself as well as God.

Love, worship, adore are all synonymous. We love ourselves and our ideologies, which is good, but we are allowing it to go to idolatry if we have a fixed ideology.

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Love is a precursor to adoration and worship and are synonymous to idolatry.

The worship you give God you are also told to give yourself.

If you follow Jesus, you will love and worship yourself and that is why we are all idolaters.

If Jesus is a good man to you, then you will try to love and adore the ideology you follow.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby phyllo » Sat May 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Are you an evolving creature?

Do you seek to be one of the fittest of your species or one of the less fit?

If you are not trying to be the fittest, then you will not care about love and worship and such concepts.
You need to explain what you mean by "fittest" because in the Darwinian sense, love and worship are not required to adapt and survive.
Is love not a form of worship?
I would say no. It would mean that every time that you love a person or thing, then you are worshiping it. Seems like an excessive stretch on the intended meaning of "worship". Do you worship your cat or dog?
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10906
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby phyllo » Sat May 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Greatest I am wrote:To all.

Jesus said to love yourself as well as God.

Love, worship, adore are all synonymous. We love ourselves and our ideologies, which is good, but we are allowing it to go to idolatry if we have a fixed ideology.

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Love is a precursor to adoration and worship and are synonymous to idolatry.

The worship you give God you are also told to give yourself.

If you follow Jesus, you will love and worship yourself and that is why we are all idolaters.

If Jesus is a good man to you, then you will try to love and adore the ideology you follow.

Regards
DL
Then you're saying that anyone who loves, is an idolater.

Does that really make sense?
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10906
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby Greatest I am » Sat May 12, 2018 9:23 pm

phyllo wrote:
Are you an evolving creature?

Do you seek to be one of the fittest of your species or one of the less fit?

If you are not trying to be the fittest, then you will not care about love and worship and such concepts.
You need to explain what you mean by "fittest" because in the Darwinian sense, love and worship are not required to adapt and survive.
Is love not a form of worship?
I would say no. It would mean that every time that you love a person or thing, then you are worshiping it. Seems like an excessive stretch on the intended meaning of "worship". Do you worship your cat or dog?


If I love them, yes. You might want to look up the definitions of love and worship. What I put is not a stretch at all.

In fact, Jesus used love in his best two commandments so he and I are on the same page.

As to fittest, I could link you up to the answer but lets' see your thinking.

In evolving, we always either cooperate of compete. Which do you think is the best to help you survival so as you can keep trying to be the fittest?

I will give you the link and answer if you should give the wrong reply. Hint. Security of the tribe.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby Greatest I am » Sat May 12, 2018 9:27 pm

phyllo wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:To all.

Jesus said to love yourself as well as God.

Love, worship, adore are all synonymous. We love ourselves and our ideologies, which is good, but we are allowing it to go to idolatry if we have a fixed ideology.

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Love is a precursor to adoration and worship and are synonymous to idolatry.

The worship you give God you are also told to give yourself.

If you follow Jesus, you will love and worship yourself and that is why we are all idolaters.

If Jesus is a good man to you, then you will try to love and adore the ideology you follow.

Regards
DL
Then you're saying that anyone who loves, is an idolater.

Does that really make sense?


Yes, if you look at the melding the terms do in the dictionary definitions.

If you are stuck in semantics then you will not get what I am saying anyway.

If the one you love is not the ideal to you and you cannot idolize her the way I idolize my wife, as well as love, honor, worship etc., then that is too bad.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby phyllo » Sun May 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Yes, if you look at the melding the terms do in the dictionary definitions.

If you are stuck in semantics then you will not get what I am saying anyway.

Semantics : "the meaning, or an interpretation of the meaning, of a word, sign, sentence, etc"

Your entire argument is about the meaning of words, specifically the peculiar meanings that you are assigning to common words. How can this not be about semantics?

I can't possibly get anything from an internet forum which is not based on the meaning of words.
If the one you love is not the ideal to you and you cannot idolize her the way I idolize my wife, as well as love, honor, worship etc., then that is too bad.
A real person or thing can't be ideal because it is always flawed in some way.

What are you actually saying here?
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10906
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby Greatest I am » Sun May 13, 2018 11:36 pm

phyllo wrote:
Yes, if you look at the melding the terms do in the dictionary definitions.

If you are stuck in semantics then you will not get what I am saying anyway.

Semantics : "the meaning, or an interpretation of the meaning, of a word, sign, sentence, etc"

Your entire argument is about the meaning of words, specifically the peculiar meanings that you are assigning to common words. How can this not be about semantics?

I can't possibly get anything from an internet forum which is not based on the meaning of words.
If the one you love is not the ideal to you and you cannot idolize her the way I idolize my wife, as well as love, honor, worship etc., then that is too bad.
A real person or thing can't be ideal because it is always flawed in some way.

What are you actually saying here?


What you refuse to hear.

Basically what this poet says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZg1ZflpJs

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby phyllo » Sun May 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Basically what this poet says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZg1ZflpJs
I don't come to an internet philosophy site to watch youtube videos.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10906
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Postby Greatest I am » Sun May 13, 2018 11:54 pm

phyllo wrote:
Basically what this poet says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZg1ZflpJs
I don't come to an internet philosophy site to watch youtube videos.


You did not come to do any thinking either.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users