The Brain Creates Religion

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5y5NfIiMqY[/youtube]

Believing in God generates soothing “juices” in the brain that make us feel good.
by
Lionel Tiger
Professor of Anthropology at Rutgers University
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Tiger

Lionel Tiger stated humans suffer from “brain pains” and religion generates soothing “juices” in the brain that make us feel good.

Agree?

The brain is involved in the production/transmission of Serotonin?

Seems logical that some alien energy source … alien as in “unknown” … could influence the production/transmission of serotonin within the human biological system.

The brain created the sentence the brain creates religion. I’ll bet that sentence caused soothing juices to be released in certain brains. So now where are we?

If believing in God excites our endorphins, it has accomplished no more than the thought of a juicy steak in the mind of a hungry person.
Tom, the brain utilizes its own topography and neuroplasticity as we think and feel, not just neurotransmitters, of which there are many.
The brain blood barrier, like angels at the gates of Eden, is positioned not to allow certain intruders into paradise. Certain drugs, however, mimic the construction of endorphins and bypass the barrier. Endorphins are the “feel good” chemicals inside the brain (the name indicates “endogenous morphine.”)
The question then is can these brain events be interpreted in religious ways? Of course they can; but give the brain credit for being able to distinguish an illusion from a reality. If the brain creates religion, it does so for a purpose, which is to satisfy real hungers.

Do atheists get soothing brain juice rewards when they argue on the internet, or are they just miserable all the time?

I’m pretty sure that religion was here before we were born and the brain didn’t create it.

Humans evolved from one cell living things appx. 4 billion years ago.
There was no serotonin production in the early stages until perhaps in the mammalian phase some 50 million years ago.
Thus “the production/transmission of Serotonin” emerged during the mammalian phase of evolution was not influenced by some “unknown” alien energy source.
If I guess right, your “unknown” is impossible to be known.

In the extreme cases, note Archimedes’ Eureka from the bathtub.
In general, the awareness of certain new information [perceived to be informative] will caused soothing juices as this has potential survival values but ultimately all information must be justified if it is to be qualified as knowledge.

The brain create religion to deal with an inherent, unavoidable existential dilemma and existential crisis.
There are two main categories of religion, i.e.

1. Theistic and
  2. Non-theistic.

Note this logic:

The brain creates Religion
Theistic religions entail the idea of God
Therefore the brain creates the ides of God.
QED.

In general the brain is normally fooled by illusions and accept illusions as real until the intellect is trigger to analyze to differentiate what is real and what is an illusion, then to explain why how it happen.

In general and with common sense, all humans accept the ‘truth’ the setting Sun is larger than the Sun at noon. There are many illusions the human brain has accepted as common sense truth and the majority do not question it.

In higher philosophical perspective, the whole of what is within common sense is an illusion when analyzed from another perspective.

This is a philosophy forum and thus ‘argument’ is the default whether one likes it or not.

It is evolutionary, if any human can arrive at any sort of conclusion [true or false] there is some oozing of soothing brain juice rewards. The bottom line is one must ultimately justify those initial conclusions [actually they are hypothesis or could be hunches] regardless of how ‘soothing’ it is.

Religion can be a very loose term in this case in terms of its timeline.
To be specific, religion in this case refer to organized religions with a reasonable large group of followers.

“The Brain Creates Religion” do not refer to the individual brain but rather its the human brains collectively that created and sustain religions.

The critical point here is to counter the common claim, religions are created by an independent God out there. Where religions and believers are involved in killing non-believers, they insist it is because God commanded it as a divine duty for believers.

I can’t remember if there was any serotonin 50 million years ago … I’m old and my memory fails me regularly. :slight_smile:

Where did the “one cell” drift onto the planet from?

at this particular point in time and space … though… check with me tomorrow … indefinite uncertainty is not guaranteed. :slight_smile:

Neither agree or disagree. What has it to do with the question of Ultimate Reality??

Good question! I doubt Prismatic/Spectrum will answer, though (except in the most disingenuous way possible).

BTW, Prismatic, there are programs that will assist you in your grammar. I generally don’t need it, but the one I have underlined “do” and “its” in red (“does” and “it’s” are the proper terms). No big deal, but occasionally it does get in the way of clarity. The one I have is called “Grammarly for Chrome.”

A most interesting comment/observation … though perhaps I’ve been watching too many Poirot episodes. :slight_smile:

Particularly, being nested within other current posts in this forum … specifically … I refer to rituals and neuron pathways.

Most believers accept rituals as an important component of their faith … it’s like salt is to food … food is edible without salt but lacks “color” for the discerning palate.

Ditto for atheists … their persistent antagonism towards believers is one of their rituals … so necessary to maintain the neural pathways that carry their atheistic beliefs.

If you’re saying whether or not somebody gets soothing brain juice rewards for what they believe or espouse is irrelevant, and we should instead examine whether or not their claims are true, I certainly agree. But of course the next question is what then is the purpose of this thread?

For theists the origin and essence of religion is from God. This thread provide an alternative view to the above.

Crick, among others, believed that the Earth was “seeded” with organic matter that came down in comets (panspermia). In any event, regardless of origin ,cells were formed in the primal ooze that was a mix of organic chemicals. I’m surprised to hear that somebody nowadays can claim that serotonin or its precursors was not available for the mix from which cells sprang. Maybe at least something like tryptophan was included.
I also suspect that whoever made those statements about serotonin as being among the “feel good causing chemicals in the brain” was mistaking serotonin with the basic endorphins. As a sufferer of major depression I take serotonin re=uptake meds, not opiates to create a balance of mentality, not necessarily a feel good therapy.

Not necessarily. What about the terrorists or those others who kill and destroy in the name of God or religion?
What kind of soothing juices do they have?

How can this be an alternative to theism if we just agreed that whether or not you get brain juice for your beliefs is completely irrelevant to whether or not they are true? It seems to me you and I just agreed that this thread isn’t actually disagreeing with theism in the slightest.

Mine are orange and sarsaparilla flavored.