Why there is belief in an afterlife

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Why there is belief in an afterlife

Postby UrGod » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:43 pm

Hahaha.

All I can really manage is to laugh at this. It requires much more misanthropy in me to assume you're being serious, rather than merely trolling.
I am your master.
UrGod
Philosopher

Postby UrGod » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:48 pm

Ok, a bit of fun, then.

At least the American pragmatists were useful. What do you suppose is the utility of English pragmatism? Ever wonder from where the true motive of "utilitarianism" comes? Even the theory itself is couched in petty, inhuman moralizing.

There is practical action, and then there is practical impracticality. We all know which of those you prefer.
I am your master.
UrGod
Philosopher

Postby UrGod » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:51 pm

There is nothing more truly pragmatic than taking risks for values, positing High Values as supreme law over mere circumstance, convenience, habit, or laziness. Life itself is nothing less than value-positing, the gradual systematizing of risk taking and all that it impies... and requires.

Nietzsche wrote:Alas! There comes the time when man will no longer give birth to any star. Alas! There comes the time of the most despicable man, who can no longer despise himself.

Lo! I show you the Last Man.

"What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star?" -- so asks the Last Man, and blinks.

The earth has become small, and on it hops the Last Man, who makes everything small. His species is ineradicable as the flea; the Last Man lives longest.

"We have discovered happiness" -- say the Last Men, and they blink.
I am your master.
UrGod
Philosopher

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Void_X_Zero wrote:Ok, a bit of fun, then.

At least the American pragmatists were useful. What do you suppose is the utility of English pragmatism? Ever wonder from where the true motive of "utilitarianism" comes? Even the theory itself is couched in petty, inhuman moralizing.

There is practical action, and then there is practical impracticality. We all know which of those you prefer.

Absolutely - Hobbes and Locke are the absolute bitches of philosophy. Outspoken "subs".

American pragmatists lived under a mutable regime guided by letters, reason. Their praxis consisted of working with these letters so as to secure that rule stayed mutable and standards stayed fixed.
In England the opposite - standards mutable so as for regime to stay fixed. This produces the quasi-standards of "polite society" which must stand in for aristocracy, which is always lacking in pragmatic company.

The mistake is made when pragmatism becomes an end. Praxis is of course a means. Protestantism is the worst of those mistakes. It is what killed god, as religion can not be pragmatic for the sake of being pragmatic and still relate to God, the miracle-bringer.

Once again, a German invention. These people just like making life as hard as possible.
Before the Light

The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:57 pm

Void_X_Zero wrote:There is nothing more truly pragmatic than taking risks for values, positing High Values as supreme law over mere circumstance, convenience, habit, or laziness. Life itself is nothing less than value-positing, the gradual systematizing of risk taking and all that it impies... and requires.

Nietzsche wrote:Alas! There comes the time when man will no longer give birth to any star. Alas! There comes the time of the most despicable man, who can no longer despise himself.

Lo! I show you the Last Man.

"What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star?" -- so asks the Last Man, and blinks.

The earth has become small, and on it hops the Last Man, who makes everything small. His species is ineradicable as the flea; the Last Man lives longest.

"We have discovered happiness" -- say the Last Men, and they blink.

Before the Light

- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:35 pm

Void_X_Zero wrote:There is nothing more truly pragmatic than taking risks for values, positing High Values as supreme law over mere circumstance, convenience, habit, or laziness. Life itself is nothing less than value-positing, the gradual systematizing of risk taking and all that it impies... and requires.

You're a word juggler. You aren't saying anything at all. When you say "value-positing" what you mean is "goal-setting". You're using complicated words in order to appear deep hoping that by doing so you will hide the fact that you're extremely shallow.
Everything about you is hollow.
There is no meat, no blood, nothing alive in you. Just empty words.
You're nothing more than empty hype.

When you choose goals that are unrealistic (which is what you mean by "risk taking") that's a guarantee that you will fail.
Which you already do. Over and over again.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:58 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:

You're a word juggler. You aren't saying anything at all. When you say "value-positing" what you mean is "goal-setting". You're using complicated words in order to appear deep hoping that by doing so you will hide the fact that you're extremely shallow.
Everything about you is hollow.
There is no meat, no blood, nothing alive in you. Just empty words.
You're nothing more than empty hype.

When you choose goals that are unrealistic (which is what you mean by "risk taking") that's a guarantee that you will fail.
Which you already do. Over and over again.

I one heard a saying that makes some sense.

Small people talk about people
medium people talk about events
great people talk about ideas

for a change, try to keep up. Please. It is exasperating to have to constantly be aware of your petty girly gossipy relationship with your pride. The issue is risk. A goal is a value, yes, you don't need to pretend that anyone doesn't known this.

For once in your life take a risk, and directly address the statements that the other guy made.
Which would simply mean admitting that he is right. You may earn some respect - from yourself.
Before the Light

- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality