Is atheism a valid default paradigm?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Is atheism a valid default paradigm?

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:39 pm

Objectives of Spiritual Pursuit

1) The human lifespan is short ... a pursuit of spirituality reflects an individual's hope/desire to spend his/her finite time wisely. In this context, 'wisely' includes sincere consideration of the notion "a personal Holy Spirit".

2) A sincere willingness to consider/contemplate spirituality independently ... independent of the religious crowd ... independent of the atheist crowd ... independent of the agnostic crowd. Spiritual pursuit is an attempt at individuation vis a vis a personal/individual view/understanding of the spirit realm/sphere.
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:20 am

Objectives of Spiritual Pursuit

1) The human lifespan is short ... a pursuit of spirituality reflects an individual's hope/desire to spend his/her finite time wisely. In this context, 'wisely' includes sincere consideration of the notion "a personal Holy Spirit".

2) A sincere willingness to consider/contemplate spirituality independently ... independent of the religious crowd ... independent of the atheist crowd ... independent of the agnostic crowd. Spiritual pursuit is an attempt at individuation vis a vis a personal/individual view/understanding of the spirit realm/sphere.

3) An attempt to breach our psychological 'Firewall' from within.

Definition Firewall:

a) A wall or partition designed to inhibit or prevent the spread of fire.
b) Computing ... a part of a computer system or network that is designed to block unauthorized access while permitting outward communication.
c) Another term for Chinese wall.

All people have a psychological 'firewall' separating what they have ... from infancy ... come to embrace as valid ... true ... acceptable and so on. All the other stuff ... the stuff on the other side of their psychological 'firewall' ... external stuff ... that's inconsistent with what they are safeguarding behind the wall ... can never penetrate their consciousness.

Religion is a classic example ... from early childhood we are conditioned/programmed ... via language instruction ... ritual repetition ... parental encouragement ... peer pressure etc to embrace a certain dogma/doctrine. Anything inconsistent with this dogma/doctrine is alien and hostile ... most often for the rest of our lives.

Further words can now be suffocating and counter-productive. Values and love have been written, gestured and shown sufficiently. We need to back away, continue to live our values and love that other, and let that other be free.

Phyllo ... your niggling has once again helped me to clarify my thoughts ... thanks.
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby phyllo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:44 pm

All people have a psychological 'firewall' separating what they have ... from infancy ... come to embrace as valid ... true ... acceptable and so on. All the other stuff ... the stuff on the other side of their psychological 'firewall' ... external stuff ... that's inconsistent with what they are safeguarding behind the wall ... can never penetrate their consciousness.

Religion is a classic example ... from early childhood we are conditioned/programmed ... via language instruction ... ritual repetition ... parental encouragement ... peer pressure etc to embrace a certain dogma/doctrine. Anything inconsistent with this dogma/doctrine is alien and hostile ... most often for the rest of our lives.
You and I have had very different upbringings.
Phyllo ... your niggling has once again helped me to clarify my thoughts ... thanks.
Every little niggle counts.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:01 am

phyllo wrote:Iambig writes about this often and I think that's one of his valid points. Once you fall down the relativist, subjectivist, nihilist rabbit hole, then psychopathy and narcissism become okay.

It's not a rabbit hole. It's just a way of thinking about human interactions in a world without God.

Construing them from a perspective embedded in the manner in which I have come to understand the existential relationship between identity, value judgments and political power.

And I never insist that my frame of mind reflects either the optimal or the only rational point of view. Instead, I ask those who don't share it to note the manner in which it is not applicable to them when their own values [religious or otherwise] come into conflict with others.

And the behaviors of the psychopath can be rationalized as beyond his or her control.

The behaviors of the sociopath however are not embedded in chemical or neurological imperatives from within the brain. They are chosen more or less autonomously based on the assumption that in a Godless universe it's not necessarily irrational to argue that morality revolves around self-gratification.

Where things really get tricky though is in imagining a world where "free will" is just an illusion.

If you know what I mean.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality