Apatheism

It’s the way of the future. Atheism is too tiring, explaining why you don’t believe in such and such god is very boring after a while.

Apatheist allows you to say that you don’t care if God(s) is real or not. Why would it matter? Nothing changes with belief, so why expend the effort to believe?

There is a very specific term to describe someone who has a disbelief in faith (and spirituality) itself. I can’t remember exactly what the term is, but i know that it started with an a- and it wasn’t atheism. As there are religions that are atheistic, so there will probably be a term people who are the atheist-of-atheist people to tell people that they are disbelieving in any of it.

Apatheism doesn’t really tell anybody anything. It is probably even less of a word than atheism. Atheism, you at least got something. Apatheism is a lot like apathy and it’s possible to be a theist or an atheist and also be a apatheist. Apatheism is the spiritual equivalent to a /shrug.

For me … you just ‘nailed’ it! … reminds me of something I wrote recently in another OP … humans are like cattle in a corral … standing placidly in their own shit up to their knees.

First let me attempt to put your comments in perspective:

1. The community you address includes 7 billion plus individuals.

2. A handful of individuals is flogging a particular agenda(s) … when considered useful they exploit theism.

3. A handful of individuals is resisting a particular agenda(s) … when considered useful they exploit theism.

4. Mercenaries on both sides don’'t count … their sole motivation is money.

5. The balance … a very large number … who don’t give a shit one way or the other. They simply want to preserve or grow what they possess.

And who ends up eating the slop? Everyone! Regardless of what you believe!

Not quite “everyone” … not quite :laughing:

I am an apatheist because the existence / non existence of God cannot be objectively demonstrated

Hi,
When was the above word coined? I really need to keep up. :evilfun:

I am an agnostic for the same reason surreptitious57 but I cannot necessarily say that I am apathetic about it.
My sense of curiosity and wonderment and mystery for what IS, et cetera, holds me back there.

But it doesn’t seem to be a waste of time to me for those who ARE apathetic about it either especially if thinking too much about the existence of a god gets in the way of one living his/her life and especially if one has not moved away from one’s comfort zone.

Would I be wrong though in thinking that any philosopher worth his/her weight in gold could not help but contemplate the thought and our beginnings - a God’s beginnings - and where it all began? Began may not even be the proper word to use.

But that is all just my own subjective thinking…viewpoint.

I am interested in the origins of the universe but the discipline I find most useful in respect of that is physics not religion
I have precisely zero interest in metaphysical or supernatural explanations for physical phenomena since they are all false

surreptitious … today we have the privilege of modern science/physics to support the truth in your comment … wasn’t always the case.

OTH … without modern science/physics some ancient thinkers made some pretty good guesses. For example …

Dao De Jing … Chapter 25

[b]

[/b]

Humans are a curious species … forever seeking answers … when scientific answers were unavailable some individuals compensated by created myths, religious dogma, superstitions and so on. All made a worthy contribution in their day … the Gordian Knot has always been “burying the old” … in order to embrace the new … ergo … the transition to life with new information/knowledge.

Apatheist is an atheist who doesn’t want to be bothered by religious debates. I’d say I am one, as I’m simply uninterested to attack the beliefs of theists, or to defend my atheism - I just don’t care.

I think partly the cause of apatheism is that theist arguments are so weak and poorly supported by empirical evidence that atheists eventually give up arguing with them and say they don’t care just to avoid being bothered with bullshit.

Well, then, let me qualify that. I only used the word “God” since it is the most familiar in terms of humans. Sometimes it also takes a while before the dust and residue leave us.

When I spoke of “where it all began” I was speaking more in terms of physics too, perhaps pure energy, whatever.

I’m not even sure any more if we could speak in terms of “where it all began”. Our sense of origins may be completely different than what reality really IS insofar as the universe[s} go.

My being an agnostic is also based on my own lack of any belief where some so-called concrete god would exist.
If I use the expression “pure energy” then what happens. It cannot be created nor destroyed. So what about IT? :-k