Against Particularism

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Against Particularism

Postby anand_droog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Problem with people is they're too trivially clingy, they display too much particularism (e.g.: subject particularism the departmentalism as in the non-interdisciplinary, thus academically specificist or more generally particularist nature of the "elites" of the university committees; sexual particularism as in most cases of marriage). The worst form of particularism is lust for gimcracks and denying others of the same. Mostly, this behavior is seen because people are afraid of scarcity, that is, genetically or by education afraid of scarcity... The former must imply that capitalism has, in fact, changed the genes of people... but that's just as expected. Wait, is that not why we call them "sheeple" ? Oh right, most modern men are domesticated*. A forward-looking society would be one that is not so particularist.

* usually this is more evident in (the typical (passive) type of) females than males.
anand_droog

Re: Against Particularism

Postby Mackerni » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Is particularism even a word? As I type this, correctly, I am reminded by the forum spell checker that it indeed is not a word.

What is your argument and what does it have to do with religion?

Are you trying to say that people shouldn't focus all their efforts into one field? Then, what, is everybody supposed to know everything? You could spend all your time watching videos or reading books or listening to audiobooks on every topic imaginable and you would still not have touched the surface with any of them.

I'm not saying that Christians should only read the Bible, or Hindus only read the Vedas, or Muslims only read the Quran. But there's reasons why people compartmentalize their efforts to one field of study.
"Anybody got a problem with the way I live? I don't want to go to Heaven if I can't get in!"
Mackerni

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:41 am

Mackerni wrote:But there's reasons why people compartmentalize their efforts to one field of study.

Mackerni ... perhaps the "reason(s) you imply are by design ... man made design or some superior intelligence(s) design ... to keep humanity in the dark. :)
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:28 am

Mackerni ... more emerging thoughts on my previous post.

Once again ... with a metaphor

The embryo in a fertilized chicken egg has no choice but to develop and grow in the darkness imposed by the egg shell. At the appointed time the chick ... while still trapped inside the shell ... must make an effort to break through the shell and get on with the next phase of his/her life ... until he/she eventually becomes food on our table. :-)

For me ... there are many parallels with this metaphor and the evolution/transformation of humanity ... if during our period(s) of purgation/catharsis we were consciously aware of the "whole" we would likely abandon the discomfort typically associated with the purgation/catharsis journey.
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:55 am

Mackerni ... let me start a "stream of consciousness" in the direction of the parallels I mentioned in my last post:

1) Because human consciousness has yet to know the 'whole' ... we live our entire lives in a form of 'darkness'.

2) Like the chick who eventually ends up on the dinner table ... we too ... at the end of our physical lives we too become food for the bugs and bacteria in the earth where we are planted. In the case of cremation the remaining energy in our corpse merges with the energy in the atmosphere.

3) At some point we likely ingest some atoms of our predecessors:

a) In the trough of our food chain
b) In the water we drink
c) In the air that we breathe

Not a very pleasant thought eh?

4) Insert here

5) Insert here

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby phyllo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:44 pm

1) Because human consciousness has yet to know the 'whole' ... we live our entire lives in a form of 'darkness'.
A falcon sees better than you, but you are not blind.

What do you need to see?
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend

Return to Religion and Spirituality