The Phenomenon of Man ... Wo-man

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: The Phenomenon of Man ... Wo-man

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 am

What are God's laws?

There is only one ... get drunk on agape ... selfless ... LOVE
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:23 am

I heard many years ago that the OT can be summed up in 9 words and the NT in one word.

OT ... I am your God and you are My people.

NT ... LOVE
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:52 am

I like care better. Care for yourself and for others, including God. Care is more directive, less ambiguous.

Care for all that lives.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:03 am

WendyDarling wrote:I like care better. Care for yourself and for others, including God. Care is more directive, less ambiguous.

Care for all that lives.

Wendy ... you have such a way with words ... such a "feminine" way.

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:23 am

I've written many times ... words in and of themselves are impotent.

Readers ... be vigilant ... you may feel someone tapping you on your left shoulder ... someone who wants to give you an experience of agape love ... an experience involving God. :)

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Pandora » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:34 am

James S Saint wrote: For example, the Second "Law" of Thermodynamics has been proven wrong for over a century...
Show me.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby James S Saint » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:11 am

Pandora wrote:
James S Saint wrote: For example, the Second "Law" of Thermodynamics has been proven wrong for over a century...
Show me.

Science Forum

But first, prepare and read up on Maxwell's Demon (1867).
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby phyllo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:23 pm

NT ... LOVE

I like care better. Care for yourself and for others, including God. Care is more directive, less ambiguous.

Care for all that lives.
Good thing that Jesus was a bit more verbose. :evilfun:
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby phyllo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:50 pm

In a word ... "arrogance"

Attempts to usurp the authority ... superiority of God.
Organizations attract people with authoritarian personalities. That's not going to change.
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:46 am

phyllo wrote:
NT ... LOVE

Care for all that lives.
Good thing that Jesus was a bit more verbose. :evilfun:

Really?

2,000 years of the "ping pong" of verbosity has literally killed the story of Jesus. Simple fatigue and frustration ... the absence of a clear and credible critical mass to the story ... seems to have driven the most pious of believers away.

What is the alternative?

Silence!

In todays' world silence is about as attractive as a shit sandwich for lunch.

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:55 am

pilgrim_tom wrote:In a word ... "arrogance"

Attempts to usurp the authority ... superiority of God.

phyllo wrote:Organizations attract people with authoritarian personalities.

Well yeah! ... like flies to shit!

Probably explains why the Hebrews are still waiting for a "messiah" ... they have always expected an "authoritarian personality" ... seems to be a natural outcome of patriarchal society(s).

phyllo wrote:That's not going to change.

The one thang that is absolutely certain ... beyond the shadow of doubt ... universal ... is "change".

Yet ... that reality provides no assurance ... one way or the other ... that the change you mentioned will remain cast in stone.

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby phyllo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:04 am

Probably explains why the Hebrews are still waiting for a "messiah" ... they have always expected an "authoritarian personality" ... seems to be a natural outcome of patriarchal society(s).
Ever heard of domineering mothers?
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby phyllo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:06 am

Really?

2,000 years of the "ping pong" of verbosity has literally killed the story of Jesus. Simple fatigue and frustration ... the absence of a clear and credible critical mass to the story ... seems to have driven the most pious of believers away.

What is the alternative?

Silence!

What? You think that even Jesus should have kept his mouth shut? :shock:
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:24 am

phyllo wrote:
Really?

What is the alternative?

Silence!

What? You think that even Jesus should have kept his mouth shut? :shock:

Hardly!

I would like to 'know' what Jesus said ... unfortunately His words are suffocated in obfuscation across time and space.

While my comments may seem pejorative ... my intention is the opposite.

All that has transpired is part of the puzzle.

The 'god' of science hasn't done much better ... seems science is as malleable as religious doctrine/dogma.

1) Newtonian laws of gravity are being challenged today.

2) JSS claims the second law of thermodynamics has been refuted.

3) Hawkins flip flopping on his black hole theory(s) in the past 10 years or so.

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby phyllo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:54 am

Don't worry.

If the sky is falling, you can still use Newtonian mechanics to calculate when it will hit you. Newtons laws are suitable for 99.9% of the problems that you will encounter on Earth.

Engineers will still calculate entropy, in spite of what James says.

I can't believe that theories of black holes carry that much weight.
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:17 am

phyllo wrote:Don't worry.

If the sky is falling, you can still use Newtonian mechanics to calculate when it will hit you. Newtons laws are suitable for 99.9% of the problems that you will encounter on Earth.

It's the 0.1 % that may do us all in. :lol:

phyllo wrote:Engineers will still calculate entropy, in spite of what James says.

I can't believe that theories of black holes carry that much weight.

That's my point ... the man of science extrapolates on "what he knows" far beyond "what he knows"

The man of religion/spirituality extrapolates on "what he knows" far beyond "what he knows"

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:52 am

Spiritualist: Spirit is substance ... though invisible.

Scientist: Provide me with a flask filled with spirit ... I will examine it through the prism of known science and share my
results.

Spiritualist: Spirit can not be harnessed ... therefore I can not provide you with a flask full of spirit.

Scientist: Awe! ... then the conclusion is simple ... spirit does not exist. Furthermore, since God is spirit ... God does not exist.

Place your bets folks. :lol:

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:12 am

I'll bet all of humanity on God for a gazillion in Spanish Galleon gold coins. Hey, I'm part Jew. :evilfun:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:08 am

WendyDarling wrote:I'll bet all of humanity on God for a gazillion in Spanish Galleon gold coins. Hey, I'm part Jew. :evilfun:

Wendy ... there is some thang bout ya that folks gotta luv ... you manage to inject a delightful sense of humour into an immensely serious issue. kudos to you! =D>

In a previous post I wrote ... the 'god" of science is malleable"

I probably should explain my meaning ...

True Science is not malleable ... man's science is malleable ... ergo ... as man increases his knowledge of True Science he revises his story.

Paraphrasing ... True Science is "Immutable".

Some religious/spiritual people argue that God is "Immutable".

Using the science of mathematics ... if A=B and B=C ... than A=C

Et Voila ... the fusion of True Science and God.

Now if only we could get the man of philosophy to join the same party ... something exciting could really begin to happen. :D

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Pandora » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:13 am

James S Saint wrote:But first, prepare and read up on Maxwell's Demon (1867).
I'll check it out. 1867 eh?
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby phyllo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:06 pm

In a previous post I wrote ... the 'god" of science is malleable"

True Science is not malleable ... man's science is malleable ... ergo ... as man increases his knowledge of True Science he revises his story.

What you describe is the limitation of human knowledge. As one discovers more, one gets closer to "what actually is". But that's true of all human knowledge ... history, philosophy, economics, etc.

Some religious/spiritual people argue that God is "Immutable".
Then they are wrong. Knowledge of God is just as limited as scientific knowledge. Therefore, God is "malleable" in exactly the same sense as "the 'god' of science". Sure, there is a "True God" out there, but humans don't know that True God.
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby phyllo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:12 pm

pilgrim_tom wrote:Spiritualist: Spirit is substance ... though invisible.

Scientist: Provide me with a flask filled with spirit ... I will examine it through the prism of known science and share my
results.

Spiritualist: Spirit can not be harnessed ... therefore I can not provide you with a flask full of spirit.

Scientist: Awe! ... then the conclusion is simple ... spirit does not exist. Furthermore, since God is spirit ... God does not exist.

If spirit is substance, then where is this substance?

If spirit is substance, then why can't it be "grabbed" or harnessed?

Energy is not substance but one can see it in the motion of physical objects. Can one see the workings of spirit in any consistent way?
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 pm

pilgrim_tom wrote:In a previous post I wrote ... the 'god" of science is malleable"

phyllo wrote:What you describe is the limitation of human knowledge. As one discovers more, one gets closer to "what actually is". But that's true of all human knowledge ... history, philosophy, economics, etc.

Good morning Phyllo

Agreed ... yet wouldn't it be nice if Science, Philosophy and Religion could converge ... all else is subordinate to these three (insert here).

pilgrim_tom wrote:Some religious/spiritual people argue that God is "Immutable".

phyllo wrote:Then they are wrong. Knowledge of God is just as limited as scientific knowledge. Therefore, God is "malleable" in exactly the same sense as "the 'god' of science". Sure, there is a "True God" out there, but humans don't know that True God.

Agreed ... yet wouldn't it be nice to "know". Sure it may take another million years ... than again a tsunami change in human consciousness could happen any day now ... as a result of one of those gravitational waves. :-)

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:58 pm

pilgrim_tom wrote:Spiritualist: Spirit is substance ... though invisible.

results.

phyllo wrote:If spirit is substance, then where is this substance?

If spirit is substance, then why can't it be "grabbed" or harnessed?

Energy is not substance but one can see it in the motion of physical objects. Can one see the workings of spirit in any consistent way?

Within the ILP audience ... at least most of the ILP audience ... the notion of "spirit as substance" is gobbly gook.

Yet within the larger community ... across time and space ... there are countless individuals ... in all cultures and geographies ... that testify ... by their life or by their words ... that spirit is substance ... spirit is omnipresent ... Spirit is God.

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby phyllo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Agreed ... yet wouldn't it be nice if Science, Philosophy and Religion could converge ... all else is subordinate to these three (insert here).
I see a benefit from having a diversity of approaches so I don't think that convergence is necessarily good.

One could say " wouldn't it be nice if got rid frying, sauteing, barbecuing and just boiled all food". :evilfun:

Well no, it wouldn't be nice.
Within the ILP audience ... at least most of the ILP audience ... the notion of "spirit as substance" is gobbly gook.

Yet within the larger community ... across time and space ... there are countless individuals ... in all cultures and geographies ... that testify ... by their life or by their words ... that spirit is substance ... spirit is omnipresent ... Spirit is God.
Then you have to clarify what you and those other people mean by the word 'substance'.

This is a dictionary defn :
substance :
1 A particular kind of matter with uniform properties.
2 The real physical matter of which a person or thing consists and which has a tangible, solid presence.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/substance
phyllo
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality