Suffering and gods invisibility

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Suffering and gods invisibility

Postby phyllo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 pm

If he said hello at least we would all know he exists. Perhaps divinity doesn’t want us to >know<, as that would affect outcomes, and how we think about the world. In other words divinity would be interfering, and if one were an inventor or artist, you would want to think you done that achievement and not have it taken away from you. So maybe its the same in all cases, our efforts are our efforts and achievements.
Yeah, I think that's probably right. If people "knew" that there is a God, they would be even more freaked out than they are now. Some people would not be able to fart without checking with God about the "correct" direction.

There are some real advantages to God's "invisibility".
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 am

10.4.(2). All that is required of them here is freedom of soul, that they
liberate themselves from the impediment and fatigue of ideas and thoughts,
and care not about thinking and meditating. They must be content simply
with a loving and peaceful attentiveness to God, and live without the
concern, without the effort, and without the desire to taste or feel him.
All these desires disquiet the soul and distract it from the peaceful,
quiet, and sweet idleness of the contemplation that is being communicated
to it.

https://www.ewtn.com/library/SOURCES/DARK-JC.TXT

Boy oh boy, much resolve to be had.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:49 am

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:I know what it feels like to die.

My theory is, we are soldiers from a future utopia, but some meddling backwards time traveller did something wrong, so we have to change the past and go to this shithole known as 2000's era to stop something from happening (or cause something to happen that didn't happen.)

The only possible way to time travel is through Consciousness, so we may be from the future and using a consciousness time-travel device to enter the past.

Trixie ... do the legends Atlantis and Noah's Ark dovetail with the thoughts you just shared?

I included Noah's ArK despite having read some of the colourful language you have employed to illustrate your attitude towards the Abrahamic religions. Your relentless repetition makes them difficult to ignore.

Some argue ... albeit only some ... that prejudice(s) blind even the most brilliant of intellects.
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:16 pm

According to Julian Jaynes the mind at the time gods appeared to men was schizophrenic. I'd say look to evolution for the birth of God. Without humans, there would be no need for a God. So human need created the gods or at least created gods who could be personal.
Using Paul MacLean's triune theory of the human brain as reptilian at the base, mammalian in the midbrain and modern (for want of a better word) in the neocortex, one can see how easily the topography symbolizes serpent, Eve, and Adam.
In short the large event in human consciousness, call it Eden, was when the brain/mind developed consciousness of a Self.
The characters of our religious myths are symbols of aspects of human growth and development.
So why did God disappear? The concept of God no longer contains its power to explain what exists. Introspection has replaced projection.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby phyllo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:48 pm

So why did God disappear? The concept of God no longer contains its power to explain what exists.
Then why are so many people wandering around in a lost haze?

I think the answer is that human "success" in dominating the world and nature lead to arrogance and the belief that humans no longer need God for anything. But it turns out that when they "threw out" God, they lost something very important.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:56 pm

phyllo wrote:
So why did God disappear? The concept of God no longer contains its power to explain what exists.
Then why are so many people wandering around in a lost haze?

I think the answer is that human "success" in dominating the world and nature lead to arrogance and the belief that humans no longer need God for anything. But it turns out that when they "threw out" God, they lost something very important.

Right!
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Amorphos » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:21 pm

All that is required of them here is freedom of soul, that they
liberate themselves from the impediment and fatigue of ideas and thoughts,
and care not about thinking and meditating.

Oh ok, we’ll all just be stupid fukwits instead of thinking human beings then. Good way to devolve!
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
Amorphos
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Have you read the poem Amorphos? The link I included above is the explanation of its significance. Here it is again.

https://www.ewtn.com/library/SOURCES/DARK-JC.TXT
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality