What Soul Type Do You Have?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: What Soul Type Do You Have?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:38 pm

WendyDarling wrote:One can be honestly unsure or unconvinced.

As is the way of the skeptic and agnostic.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:44 pm

I meant unsure of yourself, more so than your surroundings.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby fuse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:47 am

Hunter 8
Caregiver 6
Creator 11
Thinker 13
Helper 10
Educator 5
Performer 10
Leader 10
Spiritualist 8

The low score for educator is a little surprising, otherwise the spread is pretty unobjectionable. I wouldn't say I'm a super spiritualist, but I found those questions skewed toward a conventional understanding of what it means to be spiritual.
fuse
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:15 pm

WendyDarling wrote:I meant unsure of yourself, more so than your surroundings.

I wasn't so much speaking of my surroundings, Wendy, as much as I was speaking of how we think, how we allow certain quick impressions and biases to rule our perspectives and our beliefs. We are not always aware of what more there is to be seen and reflected on.
We tend to forget or do not want to see what is below what can be seen of the iceberg. We want our answers quickly and the solutions to our problems resolved "yesterday". We think too quickly without leaning on the side of caution and skepticism.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Kathrina » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:36 pm

WendyDarling wrote:An interesting little quiz that takes five minutes and doesn't require any commitment beyond quick answers. No personal info required.

http://www.soundstrue.com/quiz/instruction/

The results of such quizzes don't say much about one's soul.
Kathrina

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Kathrina wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:An interesting little quiz that takes five minutes and doesn't require any commitment beyond quick answers. No personal info required.

I agree. That quiz points more to one's personality or even character.

If one can call the psyche the soul, one would have to dig a lot deeper, much deeper to define the soul.
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Kathrina » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
Kathrina wrote:

I agree. That quiz points more to one's personality or even character.

If one can call the psyche the soul, one would have to dig a lot deeper, much deeper to define the soul.

One has to dig a lot deeper to find what "soul" could be. So even after that very deep digging, one will not be sure, but one will be more satisfied than before that very deep digging, So, one has to dig even deeper and deeper.
Kathrina

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 pm

So then what are human beings looking for when they say soul?
The one which supposedly leaves the body after brain death and ascends into the heavens and awaits their turn of becoming another incarnated human...

Or the one which is a part of the human self and defines each individual separately as a result of his or her Earthly journey and experiences, the one which continues to grow and to change making the human a new and different person?
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Kathrina » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:So then what are human beings looking for when they say soul?
The one which supposedly leaves the body after brain death and ascends into the heavens and awaits their turn of becoming another incarnated human...

Or the one which is a part of the human self and defines each individual separately as a result of his or her Earthly journey and experiences, the one which continues to grow and to change making the human a new and different person?

Whatever human beings may look for "when they say 'soul'", it is not the point. The point is that they believe in the soul.
Kathrina

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:35 pm

Kathrina wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:So then what are human beings looking for when they say soul?

Whatever human beings may look for "when they say 'soul'", it is not the point. The point is that they believe in the soul.

This is where it ends? With belief? I would say that belief is the beginning of the story.
Examine the belief. Examine what soul actually means.
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Kathrina » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
Kathrina wrote:

This is where it ends? With belief? I would say that belief is the beginning of the story.
Examine the belief. Examine what soul actually means.

Belief is never an end.
Kathrina

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Belief ought not to ever be an end but for many it is Katrina.
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby tentative » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:56 pm

What is a soul anyway? Other than conjecture, who has seen, measured, found any evidence of such a thing beyond anecdotal beliefs?

At best, I can say I am aware of being alive and I suppose I could paste the label soul on that, but anything beyond that is building the stack of hay looking for a needle.
IGAYRCCFYVM
Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

I don't take know for an answer.
tentative

Postby Arminius » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:32 am

tentative wrote:What is a soul anyway?

Because you do not know what a soul is: do you know what a psyche is?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Blurry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:57 am

Hunter 16
Caregiver 15
Creator 13
Thinker 13
Helper 12
Educator 13
Performer 13
Leader 14
Spiritualist 10

I wonder at all of my scores being so close together. With the exception of Hunter and Spiritualist, everything is within 2 points. Did anyone else get these kinds of numbers? I don't put much stock in these kinds of self-evaluation tests, but I do find it a curious bit of fun.
"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to.'" - Jim Jarmusch
Blurry
fuck

Postby tentative » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:28 am

Arminius wrote:

Yup. It is another word just like soul made up to pretend we know what we don't know.
IGAYRCCFYVM
Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

tentative

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:43 pm

tentative wrote:
Arminius wrote:

Yup. It is another word just like soul made up to pretend we know what we don't know.

Tent, I think that it is a far easier thing - though nothing easy about it - to seek to discover and to know our own individual psyches.
It is like seeking to discover and to know the vastness and depth of Space.
But it is more worthwhile at least to me than to discuss a soul which we can never know anything about but simply choose to believe in.

We do not discover anything when we automatically chose to believe that we know what we can actually never know.
But the psyche is like the final frontier. We are all Captains on the Star Trek Enterprise going in search of ourselves. lol
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby tentative » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Tent, I think that it is a far easier thing - though nothing easy about it - to seek to discover and to know our own individual psyches.
It is like seeking to discover and to know the vastness and depth of Space.
But it is more worthwhile at least to me than to discuss a soul which we can never know anything about but simply choose to believe in.

We do not discover anything when we automatically chose to believe that we know what we can actually never know.
But the psyche is like the final frontier. We are all Captains on the Star Trek Enterprise going in search of ourselves. lol

Arc, you know I'm not exactly a metaphysician so some of this is... I realize that we have to plaster words all over just being alive but that duality is part of why we never arrive at the just living part. Letting go the words is also letting go the I-me perspective which we label ego. THAT is the final step into your frontier and freedom.
IGAYRCCFYVM

tentative

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality