Let's think this through ... God

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:09 am

God , like us, wants the best life possible

NOW!

Supposedly God parallel processes all of us!

For God to have the best life possible, god needs to create all our lives as the best ever ...

It's not our responsibility to parallel process all lives, because us, unlike god , didn't create all this shit...

That is gods burden .

Therefor, if your life sucks in ANY way ...

God doesn't exist
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:20 am

Where is this coming from? Variances must exist to gain a basic understanding of difference and what it means to us individually.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6203
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:34 am

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:Where is this coming from? Variances must exist to gain a basic understanding of difference and what it means to us individually.


Maybe for you... Not for God.

God could have infinite variances and not one bad life
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:42 am

You are speaking on behalf of a being that does not exist? Is this a play, a monologue, in the making?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6203
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:10 am

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:You are speaking on behalf of a being that does not exist? Is this a play, a monologue, in the making?


You were.

I'm just staying with the OP
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:30 am

Your OP makes claims about God, yes? You have said before that you have not met God. Have you gotten acquainted with him yet?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6203
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:Your OP makes claims about God, yes? You have said before that you have not met God. Have you gotten acquainted with him yet?


Wtf???

God doesn't exist!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:23 pm

If he doesn't exist, why make the thread as if there is something to think through? Why so hostile?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6203
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Having no experience with God does not imply God does not exist. In other words, when you claim there is no God, and speak for everybody, you are denying the experiences of those who have had God experiences and are attempting to justify your mindset as universal. It is not universal. And, too, Wendy is right; your anger tells more about you than it could tell about any God.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12293
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby phyllo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:56 pm

WendyDarling wrote:If he doesn't exist, why make the thread as if there is something to think through? Why so hostile?
He is using a 'proof by contradiction'. Which is:

1. Assume something.
2. State how things ought to be with that assumption.
3. Compare that to how things actually are.
4. If there is a contradiction between what is and what it ought to be, then you have proven that the original assumption is wrong.

But he didn't do it properly because he didn't state the assumption and he has more than 1 assumption. He has 4:

A1: God exists.
A2: God wants this : "God , like us, wants the best life possible"
A3: God needs this : "For God to have the best life possible, god needs to create all our lives as the best ever ..."
A4: God has this burden : "It's not our responsibility to parallel process all lives, because us, unlike god , didn't create all this shit... That is gods burden ."

Therefore his conclusion, that God does not exist, is invalid. It's possible that one of the other assumptions is incorrect.

IOW, he hasn't proven anything.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10013
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:28 pm

My assumptions are twofold, and they are true by definition:

1.) God parallel processes all of our lives

2.) god does not want to be in hell or eternal hell

Conclusion: if we experience displeasure, god doesn't exist

Nice try phyllo
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Ecmandu wrote:My assumptions are twofold, and they are true by definition:

1.) God parallel processes all of our lives

2.) god does not want to be in hell or eternal hell

Conclusion: if we experience displeasure, god doesn't exist

Nice try phyllo

You are still saying you know what a God who does not exist does and needs.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12293
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:My assumptions are twofold, and they are true by definition:

1.) God parallel processes all of our lives

2.) god does not want to be in hell or eternal hell

Conclusion: if we experience displeasure, god doesn't exist

Nice try phyllo

You are still saying you know what a God who does not exist does and needs.


And you're an asshole.

When I say 2 portions of units of 2 equals 4, and not 5, does a non-asshole say "you are speaking of 5!! You hypocrite!?!??"

No. Only assholes say that.

And logical morons
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:46 pm

"Manure of a large domesticated animal."'--Buckwald. The irony is in the fervor of the stench. Not many who supposedly become aware of an absolute truth find the need to vilify those who may not be so fortunate as one who can't see it. But, sooner or later all blanket statements lie by lack of inclusion.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12293
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby phyllo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Ecmandu wrote:My assumptions are twofold, and they are true by definition:

1.) God parallel processes all of our lives

2.) god does not want to be in hell or eternal hell

Conclusion: if we experience displeasure, god doesn't exist

Nice try phyllo
Those assumptions are not true "by definition".

Who knows what #1 even means?

How do you know what God wants?
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10013
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:53 pm

phyllo wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:My assumptions are twofold, and they are true by definition:

1.) God parallel processes all of our lives

2.) god does not want to be in hell or eternal hell

Conclusion: if we experience displeasure, god doesn't exist

Nice try phyllo
Those assumptions are not true "by definition".

Who knows what #1 even means?

How do you know what God wants?


In order to be all knowing

One must be all feeling

True by definition

No being in existence wants to go to hell, and certainly not hell forever ...

True by definition of beings.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby phyllo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:59 pm

In order to be all knowing

One must be all feeling
More assumptions. Who says that a God has to be all knowing or all feeling?
No being in existence wants to go to hell, and certainly not hell forever ...

True by definition of beings.
Another assumption that "hell exists". It's possible that God exists but hell does not exist.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10013
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:05 pm

phyllo wrote:
In order to be all knowing

One must be all feeling
More assumptions. Who says that a God has to be all knowing or all feeling?
No being in existence wants to go to hell, and certainly not hell forever ...

True by definition of beings.
Another assumption that "hell exists". It's possible that God exists but hell does not exist.


I've been to hell. It exists.

If god is not all knowing than I'm god, prove me wrong!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby phyllo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:35 pm

I've been to hell. It exists.
Your testimonial does not constitute evidence or proof on its own.
If god is not all knowing than I'm god, prove me wrong!
I'm not interested in proving anything. I'm merely saying that your proof that "God does not exist" is flawed and that it does not prove that "God does not exist". I gave reasons as to why it is not a valid proof.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10013
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:55 pm

phyllo wrote:
I've been to hell. It exists.
Your testimonial does not constitute evidence or proof on its own.
If god is not all knowing than I'm god, prove me wrong!
I'm not interested in proving anything. I'm merely saying that your proof that "God does not exist" is flawed and that it does not prove that "God does not exist". I gave reasons as to why it is not a valid proof.


I've been to hell. My proof matters to me.

You're argument about God, aside from hell is:

God can be defined as anything; say a wool blanket ...

Wool blankets exist, therefor your proof is wrong
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby phyllo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:12 pm

I've been to hell. My proof matters to me.
You have an understanding which you are unable to pass on to others. You do not have a proof.
You're argument about God, aside from hell is:

God can be defined as anything; say a wool blanket ...

Wool blankets exist, therefor your proof is wrong
You could have made an assumption that "God exists and he has the characteristics of a wool blanket". Then you would not have a "proof by contradiction" since we know that wool blankets exist.

The entire point of the proof is to show a contradiction which necessitates abandoning the original assumption.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10013
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby phyllo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:26 pm

If you have a general proof that "God doesn't exist" then you need to account for the fact that many gods have been proposed(/discovered?) which were not all powerful, all knowing, all loving, all beneficent ...

Otherwise you have to state the specific characteristics of the God and formulate the proof that "a God with these characteristics does not exist".
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10013
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:27 pm

It's self affirming that god does not want to go to hell.

It's self affirming that nothing distinguishes god from any of us if god is not omni.

God is defined as omni...

Your trick is: how do you know God is omni, therefor your disproof fails.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby phyllo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:38 pm

It's self affirming that god does not want to go to hell.
Remember what I wrote today about the existence of hell?
It's self affirming that nothing distinguishes god from any of us if god is not omni.
I can't create the sun but maybe God can create the sun but He can't create "something else". He is still god in comparison to humans and different from humans.
God is defined as omni...
That's because you only think of THE GOD taught to you in Sunday Christian Bible classes. Your concept of god is too limited.
If you look at the Old Testament ... God is often nasty, often asks for information and can't control the fallen angels. IOW, he fails in the 3 omnis.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10013
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Let's think this through ... God

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Life must suck slightly, otherwise it would be a hedonism. Life that doesn't suck at all is bad, and life that sucks too much is bad.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 8253
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Next

Return to Religion and Spirituality



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users