How can one truly enjoy life?

Shouldn’t we enjoy ‘life’ - the show called ‘life’? How can one truly enjoy life?

If one imagines this world to be a theatre, and if whatever happens here is considered to be a show, a production directed by God, then what is there to worry, to fret and to be stressed about? Should not one just enjoy the show? When I think about it, I ask myself: Am I going to be here forever? No! Just like an actor who comes on the stage, performs his part and then bows out at the appropriate time, I enter this theatre called earth and at the designated time, leave because my role is over. It is time for somebody else to come on stage and make an appearance. So, what should I do? Should I worry about the entire theatre, the drama or should I simply enjoy the show? That is the question that comes to me. What use is it to be stressed all the time? Problems, difficulties – they are all part of the show and everything happens as per the production and direction of the master creator, the one who has created it all. Otherwise, why would things happen the way they happened? Why would you and me be born at all? Once born, why would you and me be educated the way we are educated? Why would you and me have the genes or the health the way we have? All this is predestined and we can do nothing about it. It is a part of the show. I believe that He sets the cast, He gives the roles, He creates this theatre. So the big question is: Why should we worry? Should we not enjoy this show called ‘life’?

AiR

Eudemonia–I wish I had it.

These kinds of comparisons of life and theater, don’t work well.

A major difference is that actors know that they are pretending to be someone other than who they are. They always know about the real person.

Actors worry and stress about their performances, so the suggestion, that viewing life as theater will relieve stress, is not valid.

This kind of statement places a person passively in the audience, instead of actively on stage.

Well, no. Obviously the actors play a huge part in how good the show is. Bad actors, bad show.
IOW, actors create a production in a very real sense.

There are various answers to these questions. The one that you prefer is not necessarily correct.

Why do we enjoy our precious hobbies but not enjoy our “work”? Why is it enjoyable to listen to music, to watch or play a sport, to go fishing, to do this or that, but it’s not fun to clean the dishes, to throw out garbage, and whatnot? What is the difference between putting a basketball in a basketball hoop, and putting a battery in a junk drawer?

The way we perceive what is, and what is enjoyable and not enjoyable, is largely based on conditioning, is not not? Can we learn to look at what we call “work” and realize that it is play? Can learn to see the beauty of our tears and pain when someone we love has died? Can we learn to experience “nightmares” as pretty rad adventures? Can we learn to take what we often times take “seriously” as not so serious, and what we take as mundane as sublime?

The art of perception and the art of joy are so related that it’s hard to tell the difference between them. We look at a chair and we hardly notice it. We smoke a bunch of weed, look at at a chair, and have this feeling of WONDER while staring at the chair. We must re-condition and de-condtion our programming, our indoctrination, our conditioning, so that we may see rightly.

While some of us feel angry at having to take the garbage out, others light themselves on fire while in a meditative position to try and show us something. Our perception changes our world. To do philosophy is to do surgery upon oneself, so that one can see rightly.

Joy is everywhere but we don’t see it. Pain is everywhere but we see it all the time. Get a new pair of glasses!

To truly enjoy life, all you have to do is try and keep trying until you die. You might succeed; you might not; but at least you’ll have tried.

I have great days and days of great pain. I enjoy life because of love. And I agree with the above post of RF’s

The unwise searches for enjoyment. The wise enjoys the search.
Joy is the perception of progress, the right hand child of PHT.

One can begin to enjoy life, if one takes a step away from it, realizes that this distance shows that we are both voyeurs and participants to what’s going on.

Wow, how many here sounds like quotes from books? I think I might, I know a few of you all really do.

Oddly to me, quotes from books sound like people.

If you are enjoying it, you’re doing something wrong. [sick]. Or is it, if you’re not enjoying it, you’re doing something wrong? Also [sick].

Enjoyment, is like frosting on the cake, some just can’t tolerate that much sweet, and some can’t get enough, and some people need insulin.

:slight_smile: I mean that what was written sounded practiced. Does that make sense? It is not a criticism just an observation.

“Practiced” as in cliche or meme?
Or merely quotably worded? :sunglasses:

Yea I would those fit very well. Different reasons for different folks :slight_smile:

Life is what we do. Enjoying life is icing on the cake.