What is the True Purpose of Life?

Do we truly take time to ponder about one of the most important questions about life: What is the true purpose of life?

Is most of humanity busy living, enjoying, seeking happiness, or are they actually introspecting and trying to find out the meaning of life? What is the true purpose of life? Why are we here? Who brought us here? What is the purpose of coming here? What should we do before we end this journey?

People go to a supermarket to buy stuff. It is very common. They may actually go to buy bread, but when they enter the supermarket, all the displayed new merchandise overwhelms them. They buy their chocolates, beer, wine and fruits. But at the end of the shopping trip, when they leave and reach home, alas! They have forgotten to buy bread. It happens! It happens very often because we get distracted.

How can we truly find the meaning of life if we don’t take time to ponder, contemplate, and introspect? Some people say that the purpose of life is to be happy – very easily answered – but is it so easy to be happy? People may have all the wealth and all the pleasures in the world, but they are still miserable and unhappy. Do they take time to think and find out what truly makes them happy? Do you think seeking happiness and finding the true purpose of life are two different goals? Or are they one? Is it that when we seek happiness and get happiness, we have achieved the true goal of life, or is it when we find out the true goal of life that we get all the happiness in the world, in fact, do we “become” happiness?

It is a very interesting thought to ponder on: What is the true purpose of life? It requires one to sit silently and think – not browse or read – just go deep within think… And the answers will surely come!

AiR

I have my answers. I hope you have yours.

I don’t think that there is a single experience of “life”. There are different forms of life, so couldn’t you mean the purpose in life for a virus? Perhaps, going by your description, you should ask us what is the purpose of a human life? But again, is human life distinguishable from other life, such as the life of an elephant? Is the question not expressing a bias to life as experienced by a human without proper argument? And what if indeed the lowest common denominator unites the purpose of life as a single whole that is applicable to all forms of life, fundamentally the same while distinguishable only in degrees? If so then maybe the purpose of life is to flourish, to “Be fruitful and increase in number…”

The even more important question is who is asking this question.

One cannot know/decide the purpose of his life unless he knows what exactly he is.

And, if one can know who exactly he is, there would be no need to ask what is the purpose of his life.

All questions would be answered by default.

with love,
sanjay

Live to learn to live to learn to live.

Ierr,

Nice way of looking at it as infinite, in my mind.