Jesus Christ

If Jesus Christ had been born into the modern age, he would have been labeled a stinky bum who didn’t have a job and so didn’t have a right to complain about the system and thus didn’t know what it was like to have an actual complaint. They would have told him he just needed to get laid and have sex, would have called him gay for hanging out with so many other dudes and would have called him an attention whore who needed to be the center of attention. He’d have been labeled as crazy and told to take his meds, would have been called autistic and would have been told to stop being so ‘sensitive’ and to quit being a pussy. He would have been called evil, a terrorist, anarchist; a danger to himself and others. He’d have been labeled as most likely to become a serial killer and go on a killing spree because of acts such as Columbine where bullied people have enough and finally strike back. He would have been called a disturber of the peace, a buzzkill, a possible tyrant and bully trying to take others freedoms away and trying to stop them from having fun. He would have been called unreasonable and stupid and it would have been said that he’d never learn, never get it and he would have been pushed away by all of the people who claimed to believe in him and love him, simply ‘for his own good.’

That is the truth of our society.

Jesus was a carpenter so he did have a job. he would have been a politician and only the extremes would have called him names, the middles would listen. He would have started many charities or be an educator. Now while I do not believe in his god’s religions. The character Jesus was a decent sort only wanting people to care , share and love with respect to differences. It is the followers that screw up the messages in the religious texts.

The op tells us something about our society and conformity via social norms and what have you and I don’t know how society can even call itself Christian. I have always been on the fringe and have lived the ever increasing constraints upon how we are supposed to live and behave, alternative culture has virtually bit the dust, and somehow society has been convinced that there is only one way to exist.

I can understand the reasoning that people don’t want to pay for others ~ even though they are paying for their bosses to live luxury lifestyles with museum sized collections of classic cars etc. however, many people do jobs which aren’t actually needed e.g. when a foreign car manufacturer wants to sell in Britain, they have to build a factory and employ x amount of people. So you have guys in the mini plant near me, who take a part from one robot and give it to another. Can we really say that those are jobs forced upon us by need, or just jobs for the sake of it?

If the latter, then what on earth was wrong with how it was before? When people could be hippies or punks and live alternate lifestyles. Well the problem is that anyone with alternative perspectives is a threat to the boss based capitalists system, we are either one of those or work for them, and there can be nothing else for that system to work effectively.

_

Jesus would address people of this time differently. Why would he speak the same? We address people differently. Our mode of speech changes from parent, to child, to friend , to boss, to strangers, to intellect levels etc. That is my point, Jesus would be viewed by the moderates equal as he was in the past because he would know how to address the masses in this time. Unless he was time traveled instantly. And I just do not see that as a rational act for any intelligent sentient being. One has to learn society in order to reach its mind.

If Jesus appeared in 2016, preaching the Sermon on the Mount, he would probably be incarcerated and executed on charges trumped up by the religious establishment.

Why the heck would he say it the same way?? It would not make sense to do so.

Had Jesus would have born in modern times, the first thing he would have been done is to tore the Bible apart.

With love,
Sanjay

So not too different from how he was recieved in the 1st century, then.

All but, the original texts , possibly.

Did that. Damn thing pissed me off. Some of the people in it were telling the truth, others were corrupt and lying, using as much of the truth as possible.

None of the original texts were left intact save but bits and pieces which could be used to oppress the masses. Enough truth to keep them hooked while the rest confused them.

Well, he did act and react differently then, was even lead astray a bit if some of the red texts in the bible are accurate. He would have been a mortal man, prone to ego, big-headedness, etc., even if he overcame it, he still would have suffered it to some extent. It was a lot more brutal back then since they didn’t have the technology and widespread culture that todays day and age has. But, yes, not too different considering the different manners of approach he could have and would have made due to the times. He’d be able to get away with a lot more in the modern age before they called for his death, to be sure.

Naw, he would work the public support angle, become a modern day rockstar so-to-speak, using the controversial edge between hate and love by the people to keep himself from being incarcerated or executed. Also, with the added confusion of many churches now reverting to preaching truly and accurately even as some still like to work what I call the ‘catholic’ angle, it would make it harder for the church to whip up the same support for such.

He would address them differently and then again, he wouldn’t. He would still practice restraint and picking his moments and timing based on the situation to get away with as much as possible and to make the biggest impact that he could, but his sermons and preaching would be different based on what is known now compared to what was known then, along with many other variables. He would adopt a more modern mode of speaking, but still mix in the old with the new and then push past to approach what hasn’t been encountered yet, but taking into account not to move too far into the future due to others that were too far ahead of their time like Tesla, Lincoln, JFK, MLK JR., his own past self, etc. He wouldn’t have time-traveled instantly as a spirit. Being hung on the cross because he went above and beyond would cause him to go to the ultimate ends of creation, outside of them and then back again just to learn enough to do it better. He would theoretically learn all modes of spiritual existence, including the physical aspects and mental aspects.

Jesus did do carpenting, but that wasn’t his career. He traveled, mostly, and probably did on-the-spot carpenting to pay for certain things on the way. He wouldn’t have been a politician simply because politics is flawed, just the same as they were in Roman days. Many would listen, and even they would still call him names at times, the occasional curse whether intentional or unintentional. It would have to be surmised that a Jesus Christ in the modern age would also curse his maker at times and use his own name in vain. Now, Jesus in the modern age, according to religion, has a job to do in waging war on the nations of the world and for that reason, many would curse his name and yearn for his death, his warfare being peace. Keep in mind the saying that if you want peace, prepare for war and what I have surmised that the ultimate art of war must be peace for peace has to triumph over all war to exist at all; at this point.

But, from my own personal experiences having walked as much as possible in Jesus Christs’ shoes, what I have said people would say to him is exactly what they have said to me. What I have said they would do to him is exactly what they have done to me. You have to take into account that part of the message given would completely rip to shreds some peoples closely held personal beliefs, beliefs that they have built up over their lifetime, beliefs based on what is taught by individuals a part of the church or separate that are still tinged with bias, prejudice, etc. These are beliefs held strongly and stubbornly and to put them into question is to uproot a persons entire life and make them re-evaluate everything they know and thought they knew.

If Jesus knew what I knew, he would never have been baptized… And everything in the world would be better because of it.

A baptism is no different than a golden calf!!!

The man sinned folks!!

Get over it!

The funny thing is that the way the church baptizes is not what true baptism is. We’ve all been baptized in life by our blood, sweat and tears.

That’s an interesting take… Which perhaps makes the term indiscernable, but clearly “John the baptist” baptized Jesus and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in the river afterwards…

That’s a pretty critical element if the story don’t you think??

On the other hand, he probably wouldn’t end up being nailed to a cross.

I agree with Jesus’ message I just want more evidence of him existing… That’s all.

What’s the message?

Jesus, being as a given for this thought experiment either a special son of God/God incarnate or at the very least a very spiritually tuned in kind of genius type guy, would presumably, as he did then, have some control over what happened. Generally we are supposed to think he moved towards the fate the authorities chose for him at the end of his life. Would he do this again? Presumably he would head in the directions his great spiritual intelligence in dialogue with dad or just being also dad himself
led him to think was the right direction. Being a deity or someone in close connection to the deity, this would mean we can’t really predict what he would do, avoid, allow, head toward, etc.

I see no reason to assume Jesus would be or was just a passive victim.

I do, however, get that it may be useful as a thought experiment to see him this way.

Let’s see

I think there is a very good chance he would get medicated, even early on. Spiritual visions and being well, extremely precocious could get him all kinds of diagnoses: Aspbergers, early onset schizophrenia, bipolar. Narcissism is another label he might get. If he has any problem with authority,w hich it seems to me any deity incarnate as a child must have, he is going to get diagnoses like defiant oppositional disorder, ADHD. Unless Mary is will to put up with tremendous pressure and avoid seeing her son placed in a room with delinquents and brain damaged children, she may acquiesce to the ‘knowledge’ of our era and allow Jesus to be medicated. This might well lead to weight gain, increased suicidal tendencies, lassitude, numbing and a range of physical and mental health side effects.

If Jesus can stuff his true nature down until he comes of age there would be all sorts of business activities availabe for him. If he is a genius speaker, well, he will get attention. But if he is out in the countryside, mostly speaking to hippies and homeless and prostitutes his main threats will be from pimps and sherrifs.

The Sermon on the Mount needs no modern translation. Jesus was, is and will be the same. In the flow of life’s changes, we need something that does not change with the tides. Something constant.

:open_mouth:

Nobody knows what half the phrases mean. Or they are so ambiguous or non-specific that they could be interpreted to mean almost anything.

Show the phrases that are to you ambiguous.