Celebrating Four Thousand Years Of World Religions.

I just wanted to create this thread celebrating the last four thousand years of world religions concerning sacrificial death, religious violence, religious war, and religious persecution. In this thread ongoing we’ll highlight some four thousand years of that remarkable thing we call human religion across the planet throughout history.

Human sacrifice has never featured very prominently in the C of E. I can’t help but think that this is partly responsible for dwindling church attendance.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGBsaaHtQY[/youtube]

indiatimes.com/news/india/wi … 31133.html

One theory on why human sacrifice exists is because ancient people experienced natural disasters which did a lot of damage. Then they thought feeding the deities human energy and souls would reduce their wrath and their hunger. They blamed deities for all sorts of bad events and problems. Paranoia schizophrenia stuff, on a massive scale. Religion and madness often polarize each other.

And human sacrifice still exists in the secular world just under many other kinds of guises.

Yes, religion and madness often enough is the same thing. :sunglasses:

Finally somebody tells it how it is. It’s exactly like Joker says, all religions on this planet historically have all been tyrannies. Keep it coming Mr. J!

Every religion illustrates god as the king and harvester of human souls. God is some sort of universal divine Caesar and humanity is allegedly suppose to submit itself under this being’s authority or supervision for eternal salvation.

God is some sort of imaginary divine immortal big brother in the sky. God is watching you or us from above…

The kingdom of heaven is just as much a tyranny as all the kingdoms of the earth full of the same mindless obedience.

I see this thread as a caricature of religion that neglects its contributions to education, art and music.

Oh, is that so?

Colleges and universities began as monasteries.
Progressive Christians nowadays do not believe in the big brother God or the need to impose rewards and punishments on anyone in order to get them to morally behave.
Your idea of religion is really outdated and is based on the lunatic fringe of observance.

Modern religion still permeates and pervades all politics in government.

As a religious person yourself you just don’t like how I shine a spotlight onto religion. I understand completely.

duplicate

No. I understand how you’ve not arrived at thinking circa century twenty one. All of your comments on religion have been expressed before. It’s old hat, my friend. You are stomping on the head of a snake that has lost its venom.