Will we get a syncretistic religion?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Yes.
10
63%
No.
4
25%
I don't know.
2
13%
 
Total votes : 16

Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Arminius » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:30 am

Will we get a syncretistic religion?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby zinnat » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:43 am

Arminius wrote:Will we get a syncretistic religion?


Yes, sooner or later, unless something totally unecpected and drastic would happen to the earth.

with love,
sanjay
User avatar
zinnat
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3514
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby James S Saint » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:35 am

Already have one ... actually several in the running, but one of which is real.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:10 pm

Universalist Unitarian churches have traditionally moved in that direction. Other churches have to catch up.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Arminius » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Do you welcome that development?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby James S Saint » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:12 am

Arminius wrote:Do you welcome that development?

Who are you referencing?

I don't welcome the struggle. The final accomplishment will probably be long after humanity has perished. The intent is to erase all contrary knowledge from the non-god, lower class. What is there to welcome?
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:30 pm

Bob responded to this topic in the Mind forum. Can his response be transferred to here?
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby phyllo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:21 pm

Bob responded to this topic in the Mind forum. Can his response be transferred to here?
Send a PM to MagsJ and ask her to combine the threads.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10906
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Arminius » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:12 am

James S Saint wrote:
Arminius wrote:Do you welcome that development?

Who are you referencing?

I don't welcome the struggle. The final accomplishment will probably be long after humanity has perished. The intent is to erase all contrary knowledge from the non-god, lower class. What is there to welcome?

I was referring to Ierrelus’ post and then only asking - not only him but all.

And I also do not welcome the struggle.
Last edited by Arminius on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Arminius » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:13 am

Ierrellus wrote:Bob responded to this topic in the Mind forum. Can his response be transferred to here?

It can. But why do you not quote him or just link?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:49 pm

Arminius wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:Bob responded to this topic in the Mind forum. Can his response be transferred to here?

It can. But why do you not quote him or just link?

I'm computer illiterate. I sent Bob a PM. That's all I know how to do.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby phyllo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:11 pm

Bob wrote:I'm not sure that it is what we need, and therefore I would say no.

What we need is a reconciliation to the understanding that all human beings have a world view, and cultures promote a world view which best helps them as a society. Religion is essentially a set of ideas about the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, and everyone has some idea about that, but opt for the one which brings the biggest advantages.

The current disarray in the world has to do with fear and lack of empathy for other people. The West is forcing its "way of life" on people who are rightly sceptical about many aspects of western life, and we are jolted by the extremism it brings forth. The has to do with our ignorance of the effect of globalisation on other cultures, as well as the fact that we don't really care, even if we are not so bold as to say that. We want resources in the whole world and therefore we want people to become "civilized".

The fact that we in the west have chosen agnosticim or atheism, or a bland or even a militant brand of Christianity is made to be the measure for all other people. The atrocities of small groups are blown out of proportion in comparison to the way the west has forced itself on other people. Some day we may have a universal faith, but it won't be syncretistic, because it will not reconcile.

A syncretistic religion would be a religion of the soul and inclusive rather than exclusive.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10906
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:16 pm

phyllo wrote:
Bob wrote:I'm not sure that it is what we need, and therefore I would say no.

What we need is a reconciliation to the understanding that all human beings have a world view, and cultures promote a world view which best helps them as a society. Religion is essentially a set of ideas about the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, and everyone has some idea about that, but opt for the one which brings the biggest advantages.

The current disarray in the world has to do with fear and lack of empathy for other people. The West is forcing its "way of life" on people who are rightly sceptical about many aspects of western life, and we are jolted by the extremism it brings forth. The has to do with our ignorance of the effect of globalisation on other cultures, as well as the fact that we don't really care, even if we are not so bold as to say that. We want resources in the whole world and therefore we want people to become "civilized".

The fact that we in the west have chosen agnosticim or atheism, or a bland or even a militant brand of Christianity is made to be the measure for all other people. The atrocities of small groups are blown out of proportion in comparison to the way the west has forced itself on other people. Some day we may have a universal faith, but it won't be syncretistic, because it will not reconcile.

A syncretistic religion would be a religion of the soul and inclusive rather than exclusive.

Thanks, Phyllo.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Arminius » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
Arminius wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:Bob responded to this topic in the Mind forum. Can his response be transferred to here?

It can. But why do you not quote him or just link?

I'm computer illiterate. I sent Bob a PM. That's all I know how to do.

Oh, sorry! If I had known it, I could have linked or quoted Bob's post for you. Excuse me, Ierrelus!
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:04 pm

I'm not sure that it is what we need, and therefore I would say no.

What we need is a reconciliation to the understanding that all human beings have a world view, and cultures promote a world view which best helps them as a society. Religion is essentially a set of ideas about the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, and everyone has some idea about that, but opt for the one which brings the biggest advantages.

The current disarray in the world has to do with fear and lack of empathy for other people. The West is forcing its "way of life" on people who are rightly sceptical about many aspects of western life, and we are jolted by the extremism it brings forth. This has to do with our ignorance of the effect of globalisation on other cultures, as well as the fact that we don't really care, even if we are not so bold as to say that. We want resources in the whole world and therefore we want people to become "civilized".

The fact that we in the west have chosen agnosticim or atheism, or a bland or even a militant brand of Christianity is made to be the measure for all other people. The atrocities of small groups are blown out of proportion in comparison to the way the west has forced itself on other people. Some day we may have a universal faith, but it won't be syncretistic, because it will not reconcile.

A syncretistic religion would be a religion of the soul and inclusive rather than exclusive.
The only wisdom we can hope to acquire
Is the wisdom of humility: humility is endless.
TS Eliot
User avatar
Bob
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:20 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Lev Muishkin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:31 pm

Bob wrote:I'm not sure that it is what we need, and therefore I would say no.

What we need is a reconciliation to the understanding that all human beings have a world view, and cultures promote a world view which best helps them as a society..


Simple - first remove all that causes discord and conflict; get rid of all religion and look at the earth, not the world's of our own creation.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
User avatar
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby James S Saint » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Lev Muishkin wrote:
Bob wrote:I'm not sure that it is what we need, and therefore I would say no.

What we need is a reconciliation to the understanding that all human beings have a world view, and cultures promote a world view which best helps them as a society..


Simple - first remove all that causes discord and conflict; get rid of all religion and look at the earth, not the world's of our own creation.

Of course you would also have to get rid of all governments, all medicine, philosophies, and sciences as well. Political leaders create wars. Religion is merely one of their tools.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby MagsJ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Ierrellus wrote:Universalist Unitarian churches have traditionally moved in that direction. Other churches have to catch up.

I voted yes.

There are churches like such here too, where mass is not aimed at any one religion and all denominations are welcome if they want... it is the future.
Image
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 17546
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Uccisore » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:09 am

Not in a free society. There would be no reason to believe that any manufactured syncretistic religion was actually true, and so it's adherents wouldn't have the conviction to do what is necessary for it to last more than a generation or so. In some non-free society in which people can be forced to adhere to a religion whether they buy it or not, or simply not taught any alternative, a syncretistic religion is possible or even likely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8mPuckq ... ure=vmdshb

http://deepfreeze.it/ Curious about corrupt practices in video game journalism? Look no further.
User avatar
Uccisore
The Legitimatizer
 
Posts: 13279
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:14 pm
Location: Deep in the forests of Maine

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby AutSider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:05 pm

We already have a syncretistic religion, Christianity. Fits the definition of a syncretistic religion perfectly. Taking bits and pieces of other religions and molding it into one? That's Christianity for you. Too bad they didn't credit the religions from which they took their ideas because now we still have people thinking all the beliefs and concepts of Christianity are original, which is just embarrassing.

Will we get another one? Yes. Infact, we're getting syncretistic religions constantly, they just don't spread enough to be known.
User avatar
AutSider
BANNED
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Arminius » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:02 am

MagsJ wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:Universalist Unitarian churches have traditionally moved in that direction. Other churches have to catch up.

I voted yes.

There are churches like such here too, where mass is not aimed at any one religion and all denominations are welcome if they want... it is the future.

May I ask you what your denomination is, Mags?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Arminius » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:34 pm

If we will get a syncretistic religion, will it be a mix of antitheistic / atheistic / religion, anitmasculinistic / feministic religion, Christianity, Islam, Judaisms, Hinduism (including Buddhism), and Heathendom (including Voodoo) etc. ...?

Image Image
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby MagsJ » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Arminius wrote:May I ask you what your denomination is, Mags?

...a non-practising Roman Catholic... I'm spiritual, not religious... since the 1990s.

Arminius wrote:If we will get a syncretistic religion, will it be a mix of antitheistic / atheistic / religion, anitmasculinistic / feministic religion, Christianity, Islam, Judaisms, Hinduism (including Buddhism), and Heathendom (including Voodoo) etc. ...?

...that is the non-denominational church I speak of, where each and every one of us is welcome to worship the God in our own individual heart and mind.
Image
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 17546
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Arminius » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:17 am

So, Mags J., you are „a non-practising Roman Catholic“, „spiritual, not religious... since the 1990s“. Would you say that you are a spiritual exerciser? According to the German philosopher Peter Sloterdijk religions are misunderstood spiritual exercise systems.
Last edited by Arminius on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Will we get a syncretistic religion?

Postby Wandering_Lands » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:39 am

Arminius wrote:Will we get a syncretistic religion?


Maybe - maybe not. I'm very sure that some people will come up with trying to tie into all religions; yet at the same time, there are all these conflicts of ideas and conflicts of people that want to fight for their 'religion' in belief that it's the 'true' religion. I know that all religion, with spirituality and metaphysics/philosophy, go back to the same source; the revelation of the Absolute. I think a more emphasis on free thought and inquiry into the nature of the Reality is more viable than simply a 'syncretistic religion'.
The One emanates the All, and the All returns to the One.
User avatar
Wandering_Lands
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:13 pm

Next

Return to Religion and Spirituality



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users