on discussing god and religion

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: on discussing god and religion

Postby felix dakat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 pm

I don't know about you, but on Easter I plan to join thousands of others in a packed mega-church.

felix dakat
Janitor

Postby MagsJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:14 pm

I have no idea what I’ll be doing on Easter.. so much for that illuminated path, all lit up with arrows n everything. :P

A pretty path, none-the-less..

DDEFD7C2-D105-4B47-8C50-D3328A662C50.jpeg
DDEFD7C2-D105-4B47-8C50-D3328A662C50.jpeg (126.97 KiB) Viewed 126 times
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

The Lions Anger is Noble
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Location: London, NC1 … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … Nobilis Est Ira Leonis

Postby MagsJ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:27 am

Oh, I do know what I’ll be doing for Easter.. I’ll be mostly staying in, so mostly not going out.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

The Lions Anger is Noble
MagsJ

Location: London, NC1 … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … Nobilis Est Ira Leonis

Postby felix dakat » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 pm

MagsJ wrote:Oh, I do know what I’ll be doing for Easter.. I’ll be mostly staying in, so mostly not going out.

I was, of course, making and ironic reference to Donald Trump, who was talking about ending social distancing here by Easter so that the U.S. economy could recover and people crowd into churches. He has, since then reversed himself, as he often does, and extended the social distancing advisory until at least April 30th.

felix dakat
Janitor

Postby MagsJ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:58 pm

felix dakat wrote:I was, of course, making and ironic reference to Donald Trump, who was talking about ending social distancing here by Easter so that the U.S. economy could recover and people crowd into churches. He has, since then reversed himself, as he often does, and extended the social distancing advisory until at least April 30th.

I missed that jest, but even the Vatican is on quarantine, let alone all other public places and venues.. humans and their routines, huh?

The UK is looking to extend ours up to June.. those two months best be spent well, on Op stings and the like.

The Lions Anger is Noble
MagsJ

Postby iambiguous » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:05 pm

The Gods of Spinoza & Teilhard de Chardin
Derek Harrison compares radically alternative visions of the absolute.

To the modern mind, Spinoza is most often thought of as a pantheist – someone who equates God with the world. He would not have appreciated that identification: “It is a complete mistake on the part of those who say that my purpose…is to show that God and Nature…are one and the same,” he wrote in a letter.

Here I wish that anyone might be willing to take up the task of explaining how, however or whatever one holds this relationship to be, it is able to be described in terms of the lives that we live from day to day to day.

Is that even possible at all?

You get up in the morning, turn on the TV and there it is: wall to wall coverage of the coronavirus. Now, given whatever one construes the relationship between God and/or Nature and/or the Universe to be, where does their reaction to this terrible pandemic fit into it?

Instead, in magazine articles like this -- here it's Philosophy Now -- we get this sort of assessment:

To hold, as Spinoza does, that the universal laws of nature and the universal laws of God are one and the same is not pantheism, because although the laws of nature should be identified with the will of God, nature in a material or corporeal sense is not what he means by God. “All is in God,” he wrote; but that is not the same as saying that all is God. “The world is not God,” he wrote further (quotes from Ethics, Part I, 1677). Instead, the world as we know it might better be thought of as a subset of God. Spinoza’s God is transcendent.

Got that? So, given this, why do things like the covid-19 virus exist at all? With the God of Abraham we can at least imagine some entity up there/out there bringing it about for reasons that are beyond the grasp of mere mortals. Then it is possible for these mere mortals to concoct rationalizations like "God works in mysterious ways". And that however much this affliction may make your own individual existence a living hell here and now, know that God loves you and that in time it will all become better. And clearer

Spinioza's God then "transcends" all of this. But in a way that also transcends the very lives that we live. After all, how does one connect the dots between one and the other. To me it's like trying to connect the dots between enlightenment and Nirvana in Buddhism. It all becomes whatever you manage to think yourself into believing that it is in your head.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality