belief and faith

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

belief and faith

Postby anon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:00 pm

"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"The bombs we plant in each other are ticking away." - Edward Yang

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Re: belief and faith

Postby felix dakat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Tom-from-Boston's comment on the article is makes a valid point too.

felix dakat
Janitor

Postby V-OutOfTheWilderness » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:52 pm

felix dakat wrote:Tom-from-Boston's comment on the article is makes a valid point too.

Play it safe : believe in God. If god doesn't exist, no harm done.
"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
~ Socrates

There's a serpent in every paradise ...

The question mark is shaped like a serpent ???

Degrees from the University of Divine Quackery (UofDQ).

It's not God I have a problem with. It's his fan club ....
V-OutOfTheWilderness
Philosopher

Postby anon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:16 pm

I guess I didn't focus on the Pascal's wager thing. I was more interested in the descriptive aspect of the article rather than a judgment one way or the other about Christianity - you know, the deeper philosophical stuff.
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:05 pm

anon wrote:I guess I didn't focus on the Pascal's wager thing. I was more interested in the descriptive aspect of the article rather than a judgment one way or the other about Christianity - you know, the deeper philosophical stuff.

While you're up there philosophizing we're down here flag waving? Or vice versa? :D

Durkheim thought that belief was more like a flag than a philosophical position
Last edited by felix dakat on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

felix dakat
Janitor

Postby tentative » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:16 am

While I can buy the pragmatic social gathering experience as a motivation to go to church (Bingo on Wednesday night?), whether there is belief in god or not, the dogma comes with the territory. She carefully avoids "seeing" the conflicting contradictory messages delivered by too many evangelical churches. But pie and ice cream on Sunday afternoon is OK. Not sure about picketing the pride parade on Saturday.
IGAYRCCFYVM
Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

I don't take know for an answer.
tentative

Postby anon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:29 pm

When I find some time I'll say more about what I saw in the article.

anon
ILP Legend

Return to Religion and Spirituality