Religion and Commerce

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Religion and Commerce

Postby V-OutOfTheWilderness » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 am

Jayson wrote:I think it's pretty logical and reasonable for religion to be left alone unless it harms someone.

The donation system gets around the harm claim. I can't claim someone is harming me when I freely give to them.
"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
~ Socrates

There's a serpent in every paradise ...

The question mark is shaped like a serpent ???

Degrees from the University of Divine Quackery (UofDQ).

It's not God I have a problem with. It's his fan club ....
V-OutOfTheWilderness
Philosopher

Postby Jayson » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 am

And I already showed how harm can be noted even without any money.
Your citation shows that you can't get money back; it says nothing about harm.

For an easy example, had David Koresh lived, he would have been thrown in jail for the harm he had caused; even if there hadn't been the fight.
Unless a life is physically taken or sexual permission violated, however, people seem to have this idea that any harm caused by a negligent or perverted institution or leader is unavailable for legal pursuit.

I challenge this perception and assert that this is really not the case. The only thing stopping anything, really, is the lack of people attempting to take such cases to court - not for money, but for damages and harm.
It only takes one case to set the example, and I believe such legal logic exists to permit the obvious violation of societal security and respect to be counter-checked against those who conduct such.

It would help if we also had license
>jaysonthestumps.blogspot.com
>Hebrew, Greek, and more similar resources on ILP

Spiritual: a set of neurological processes dealing with value placement, empathy, and sympathy through the associative truncation of relative identity, and which has reached a value set capable of being described as reverent to the individual, and from which existential experience and reflection is capable explicitly.
Jayson
Alaskan Gypsy

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:48 pm

V-OutOfTheWilderness wrote:
Jayson wrote:I think it's pretty logical and reasonable for religion to be left alone unless it harms someone.

The donation system gets around the harm claim. I can't claim someone is harming me when I freely give to them.

How freely are donations given? There is coercion. Can that amount to extortion?
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby V-OutOfTheWilderness » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
V-OutOfTheWilderness wrote:

How freely are donations given? There is coercion. Can that amount to extortion?

Yes Ierrellus when the collection plate is handed to you there's social pressure to put something into it.

And to the Bible literalists the Bible puts pressure to give 10% of salary.

And 10% can add up.

Take Westboro Baptist for example. Wiki says their traveling expenses is around $200,000 per year. Well with only around 50 members how much donations per person would it take to cover these expenses?

Working the math reveals that each member would have to donate $77.00 per week. If each member is giving 10% of salary they would have to make $770.00 per week, or around $20.00 an hour, with a 40 hr week. How do they do it?

They do it because they are fanatics ... so by hook and crook. These's are their pressures for donations.
"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
~ Socrates

V-OutOfTheWilderness
Philosopher

Postby V-OutOfTheWilderness » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Here's another form of finances for Westboro Baptist church :

Nate (son) says Fred Phelps saw an opportunity with the passing of the Civil Rights Act to cash in. “There was a lot of money, and a lot of opportunity,” he says. “And suddenly my father was the man to go to.”

However in private Fred Phelps called blacks DNs ... or Dumb Niggers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9913463/My-father-the-hate-preacher-Nate-Phelps-on-escaping-Westboro-Baptist-Church.html
~ Socrates

V-OutOfTheWilderness
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality