Traleg Rinpoche & Donna Summer

The idea of a “spiritual friend” may seem very old fashioned these days, but I had such a friend in the venerable Traleg Kyabgon Rinpoche, who died unexpectedly this week. I and many others will miss him. I believe the work he has done making classical Buddhism meaningful and understandable in a modern global context has been extraordinary. He consistently presented a Buddhism that is neither New Age, self-help psychology, nor superstition for the masses. For that I am grateful.

I didn’t realize until yesterday that he had a Facebook page. I was delighted to read his tribute to Donna Summer:

I’ve quoted Traleg Rinpoche many times on this site, and though my ability to post here is limited lately, I will probably continue to quote him. So I suppose I thought that in tribute I might as well quote him again…

I am sorry for your great loss, anon, which, were I not but an ignorant fool would be my loss too. Sincerely, Felix

ditto
Ah… love ta love ya, baby!

So, T.R. could excuse “Gimmee some hot stuff tonight.”* ? I agree that music often transcends words. But popularity is a fickle bitch that awards mediocrity, if mediocrity is craved. Disco, IMHO, sucks because it set rock and roll back for a quarter of a century. But, if it moves a monast, who am I to disagree?

• Check out Steve Allen’s reading of “Hot Stuff” as poetry!!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Ierrellus, someone on this site once reminded me of a biblical quote - “the wings of the ostrich flap joyfully”. Great quote. Disco kind of reminds me of the wings of the ostrich, or of pandas’ thumbs.

We like what we like, but I think all things can be a source of joy, if we approach things with an open and positive attitude.

Yes about the wings of the Ostrich. In the disco era I was into Abba–for me exhuberant music regardless of the words to the songs. I apologize if I seemed to diss Donna on words.
“She Works Hard for the Money” was a words and music complementation worth hearing. We are asked to make a “joyful noise” because the joy redeems the noise.
Rock and roll, after Guns and Roses, seems to have lost its hard edge, in your face protest. That went into rap. We old hippies are now nostalgia buffs. Our day has gone.

Joy often does redeem noise. I agree. People who seem plain looking to me (or even unattractive) become gorgeous when their face lights up with joy.