Decentralizing God

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Decentralizing God

Postby James S Saint » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:00 am

Philosopher8659 wrote:To test the heart of man. Heart is a metaphor for mind.

Don't mislead.

"Heart" is a metaphor for passion.
"Bread" for knowledge.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Philosopher8659 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:52 pm

James S Saint wrote:
Philosopher8659 wrote:To test the heart of man. Heart is a metaphor for mind.

Don't mislead.

"Heart" is a metaphor for passion.
"Bread" for knowledge.

Well, for you half a mind just might be as good as it gets. A house divided against itself, cannot stand.

Have you ever read Plato's Phaedrus? I won't say it is about mental integrity, that would be obvious.
Last edited by Philosopher8659 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philosopher8659

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Lady A.,
Please take time to read Spinoza's "Ethics", not Wickipedia.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Metacrock » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:58 pm

anon wrote:I believe there is tension inherent to theistic traditions, with respect to the centralization of God (God is a father-like being who exists in a particular location in the heavens and never dies) and decentralization (God has no location and doesn't exist in time; therefore, he doesn't separately exist). And since the centralizing tendency is seen as so important to the maintenance of the tradition, the decentralizing tendency has often been not just overlooked, but marginalized or cast off as heresy. But examples of this important decentralizing tendency are found throughout the Bible, and as far as I know throughout all theistic traditions. A little bit from one example in the Bible:

The actual position Christians thinkers have clung to for 2000 years is that God is both immanent and transcendent. We don't have to see God ass being outside of Time or reduce him to the laws of phsyics. that is dependent upon one's concept of time.

The quasi Berkeley idea that God is the mind that thinks the universe (proto pan psychcism) doesn't have that problem from the outset becuase God is beyond creation and intimately involved in it.
Metacrock

Postby jam2001 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:48 pm

I recently read a book on precisely this subject. One of my favorite parts of that showed decentralization is from the Old Testament where when Moses asks God His name in the burning bush. God's reply was "I am who am". To myself and the author of that book this means that God replied I am everything that exists, throughout all time and space there is nothing else but God and that which flows from Him.
jam2001

Postby anon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:16 pm

Interesting posts, jam & Meta. Thanks.
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"The bombs we plant in each other are ticking away." - Edward Yang

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Postby jam2001 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:02 pm

Thanks for the comeback Anon. That book I mentioned is titled "My Heart is on the Left Side". The author claims to have completely destroyed monotheism because it is centrallized by definition. He writes that monotheism as we know it means God as the "One". And what can be more limiting than the unit one. It begun with knowing God as the sun god, another visual cue to the unit one. He writes that one as a unit limits God in two ways. First every unit has an outer limit to what it can contain. But secondly and this is really far out, any unit has an inner limit at center. The fact that God has no center means that his persona is everywhere and unlimited by any dimensions or time.
jam2001

Postby anon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 pm

jam2001 wrote:Thanks for the comeback Anon. That book I mentioned is titled "My Heart is on the Left Side". The author claims to have completely destroyed monotheism because it is centrallized by definition. He writes that monotheism as we know it means God as the "One". And what can be more limiting than the unit one. It begun with knowing God as the sun god, another visual cue to the unit one. He writes that one as a unit limits God in two ways. First every unit has an outer limit to what it can contain. But secondly and this is really far out, any unit has an inner limit at center. The fact that God has no center means that his persona is everywhere and unlimited by any dimensions or time.

Found the book at Amazon, here. Sounds interesting! Though I wish there were more description, perhaps a review or two...
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"The bombs we plant in each other are ticking away." - Edward Yang

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality