Adages & Proverbs

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Adages & Proverbs

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.”
― Anne Frank
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Who else but me is ever going to read these letters?”
― Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl
:sad-teareye:
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:12 pm

There is as much within that little space within the heart as there is in the whole world outside.
Heaven, earth, fire, wind, sun, moon, lightening, stars: whatever is and whatever is not, everything is there.
Chandogya Upanishad
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:13 pm

“But they are useless. They can only give you answers.”
— Pablo Picasso
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ierrellus » Sun May 04, 2014 3:55 pm

"Jesus was all virtue, and acted from impulse, not from rules.". ---Wm Blake
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Sun May 04, 2014 3:55 pm

"Goodness needeth not to enter into the soul, for it is there already, only it is unperceived."--Theologia Germanica
Last edited by Ierrellus on Sun May 04, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby zinnat » Sun May 04, 2014 7:29 pm

An ideal society must have old eyes and young legs - Myself.

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby zinnat » Sun May 04, 2014 7:33 pm

Intelligence is how much one can learn, knowledge is how much one has been learned so far, and wisdom is how one uses his intelligence and knowlwdge - Myself.

with love.
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat May 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
― Pablo Neruda
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat May 10, 2014 4:02 pm

“Love is the mystery of water and a star.”
― Pablo Neruda
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat May 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Just because someone does not love you as you want, it does not mean that you do not love with all his being.
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat May 10, 2014 4:20 pm

If I were given the opportunity to present a gift, it would be the ability for each individual to learn to laugh at himself.
Snoopy

(Sometimes animals are more profound than humans)
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Fouty1952 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:22 am

The Paineful Truth wrote:“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”-- Winston Churchill

“The love of truth has its reward in heaven and even on earth.”-- Friedrich Nietzsche

“The object of the superior man is truth.”-- Confucius
Fouty1952

Postby Xyus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:33 am

“Suffering makes you live time in detail, moment after moment. Which is to say that it exists for you: over the others, the ones who don't suffer, time flows, so that they don't live in time, in fact they never have.”
― Emil Cioran
Xyus

Postby zinnat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:08 am

Extreames are neither possible nor wise to follow.

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby zinnat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:07 am

If you cannot stand for something, you will fall to everything. - not sure whether it is my idea or i read it somewhere.

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby zinnat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:32 am

Something is possible because something is immpossible. James S. saint.

My first impression was that it must be wrong but when i thought over it, i found it true.

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby James S Saint » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:35 am

zinnat13 wrote:Something is possible because something is impossible. James S. saint.

My first impression was that it must be wrong but when i thought over it, i found it true.

with love,
sanjay

Emmm.. thanks for the mention, but in English, it is just a little different. :wink:

Nothing is possible until something is impossible.

And it is;
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Lev Muishkin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:57 pm

(Dan~)
I was trying to quote it then I accidentally deleted it.
It was a reported comment anyways.

Here comes the rage, perhaps.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Life ... is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”
― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

In all we do, and hear, and see,
Is restless Toil and Vanity.
While yet the rolling earth abides,
Men come and go like ocean tides”
― Anne Brontë, Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby zinnat » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:46 am

James S Saint wrote:thanks for the mention

You are welcome, James.

Though, I found it worth mentioning and thus poated. I take it as my intellectual duty to say the truth, even if it contradicts my perception.
Unlike many others, i do not have any ego problem in crosscheking my perceptions and admit my shortcomings.

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby James S Saint » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:04 am

zinnat13 wrote:Unlike many others, i do not have any ego problem in crosscheking my perceptions and admit my shortcomings.

Yes, I have noticed (although it would help if you didn't start off quite so biased .. snicker).
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby zinnat » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:00 pm

Nietzsche's like salt for your philosophy. You need a bit to make it interesting, but too much is poison.
- Only_Humean

with love,
sanjay
zinnat
Philosopher

Postby Lev Muishkin » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:52 am

Arcturus Descending wrote:Life ... is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”
― William Shakespeare, Macbethl

One of my favourites.

When you see the play this passage leaps off the stage at you - far more than "Is this a dagger I see before me..."

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher

Postby Dan~ » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:41 am

I accidentally wrecked one of LM's replies.
I wanted to appologize.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality