Theism and Christianity

Is theism a necessary component of Christianity? Are there people who consider themselves Christians who do not consider themselves theists?

the·ism
–noun 1. the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation (distinguished from deism).
2. belief in the existence of a god or gods (opposed to atheism).

Chris·ti·an·i·ty
–noun, plural -ties. 1. the Christian religion, including the Catholic, Protestant, and Eastern Orthodox churches.
2. Christian beliefs or practices; Christian quality or character: Christianity mixed with pagan elements; the Christianity of Augustine’s thought.
3. a particular Christian religious system: She followed fundamentalist Christianity.
4. the state of being a Christian.
5. Christendom.
6. conformity to the Christian religion or to its beliefs or practices.

Wikipedia:
Theism
Christianity

well christianity is based on monotheism, that is in fact its main driving point. I don’t see how the 2000year old house could be built without a foundation.
Although I must note that I am one of the many that believes christianity has come to be a transitional religion and incorporates many polytheistic ideas. I’m certain many have seen Zeitgeist by now, but a brief knowledge of history and human psychology should be indicative enough of its necessarily polytheist tendencies regardless of Zeitgeist. Immense idolism, the ‘trinity’ idea and believing that jesus God all seem like blasphemy rather than faith to me.
Still, christianity and monotheism are directly related.

Being a Christian concerns people who accept that Jesus is the New Covenant between man and God. That is to say Christ is the intercessor for man’s sins for God. Christ was the ultimate sacrifice over grains, friuts and animals.

A non-theist Christian sounds like a person who is very exclusionary. Whats so great about Christianity (any aspect of it)? What makes it so special? These questions only apply to a person who does not accept the supernatural aspects of the religion.

The following link is to a transcription of a dialogue between a Buddhist and a Christian. The general tone of the dialogue and the final words by the Christian seem to indicate to me that it is possible for a Christian to not have a concept of God as separate from the world - fundamental dualism. I tend to think of theism as a form of deism. Whereas deism sees God as wholly separate from the world, theism sees God as separate but a bit involved (invokable?). I’m not necessarily making an argument for that view - I’m just saying that’s how I tend to conceive of theism. I also tend to think of theism as overemphasising certain rational and anthropomorphic traits - such as God as engineer or inventor. So the Christian thinker here doesn’t strike me as very theistic in the senses in which I think of theism:

ordinarymind.net/Feature/fea … ay2002.htm

My personal view (I am a Buddhist who was raised with Christianity and of course secular values also) is that the essential Christian message could be seen as the pointing out of the possibility of overcoming the theistic and therefore dualistic split between the sacred and the profane. Although distinction between ‘good’ and ‘evil’ can still exist, that distinction could remain a distinction of utility rather than of metaphysical judgement.

Again, this isn’t something I’m arguing. I’m just interested in various opinions on this, especially from the Christian thinkers here. I’m pretty familiar with the more conservative Christian views, but I know there are various Christian thinkers around these parts who are more inclined to openminded dialogue.

The Christian response at the end of the link sounded to me more like it could be compatible with Hinduism (Atman/Brahmin) than with Buddhism. In that sense, it’s theistic.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone who’s a Christian identifies as something other than a theist, and the rationale for it…I’ve never come across that.

Does mystic Christianity count as being theistic? We have some mystics here.

That’s kind of what I was thinking. Somebody wrote on a thread here that no Christian wants to hear that “no concept of God actually is God” for instance. So I’m wondering if any Christians agree with that (I would think so) and if so what is the full import of that insight for the Christian?

Ingenium: I agree that it sounds compatible with Hinduism.

Rouzbeh: My grandfather said that the concept of the trinity was pure bunk shortly before he died. It was shocking to me, as I never heard him say anything ‘contrary’ like that before in his life.

Try PMing Felix dictat. He sounds like he is in-line with what you are talking about.

I see God as a symbol as opposed to a sign or delimited concept. I appreciate what the theistic rationalists like Swinbourne are trying to do, but as we are encompassed by God, I don’t see how it is possible to specify the boundaries of God definitively. So when I read that evil exists because God thought this or that, for instance, I am left wondering.

On ILP I have taken theistic positions at times because it is the only way I could see to approach issues logically. But religion grades into the parodoxical. I have found Hinduism, Taosim and Buddhism to be meaningful and not incompatible with my understanding of Christianity. Of the regular ILP customers my thinking is probably closest to Bob’s.