Religion Links

Hello F(r)iends,

I think it would be helful to have a thread that contained all manner of links about religion/theology. I’ll start with a couple of easy ones:

http://www.biblegateway.com
Various translations of the Christian bible all in one site.

http://www.churchofsatan.com
Satanism’s general principles.

http://www.biblestudy.org/
One from Nick…

http://www.lifeofchrist.com/life/genealogy/default.asp
Genealogy of Jesus, discussed.

-Thirst
P.S. It would be nice if BOB or someone else made this a sticky. :slight_smile:

beliefnet.com is a good site for those who want to talk about/learn general subjects about a lot of religions and spiritual paths.

infidels.org

Great library containing many kinds of on-line articles surrounding atheism and materialism. :smiley:

biblegateway is a great resource.

these are some more of my favorites

thebricktestament.com/

skepticsannotatedbible.com/ (also has the quran and the Book of Mormon)

religioustolerance.org/

and some religious links:

americanhumanist.org/

buddhanet.net/

christiananswers.net/

lds.org/

jewfaq.org/

familybible.org/ (messianic jew site, they have the HNV bible online)

hindunet.org/

godlessgeeks.com/

scientology.org/

and the best free resource of information:

gutenberg.org/

christian-thinktank.com/

faithquest.com (if they renew their URL ownership).

blueletterbible.com

a few authors:

samharris.org/ - author of the end of faith him and the fellow below appear in this documentary;

thegodmovie.com/

robertmprice.mindvendor.com/ - A christian mythologist. Has some very interesting radio programs you can listen to here:

infidelguy.com/ - web radio programmer

and of course a few about JC:

jesuspuzzle.com/

home.earthlink.net/~pgwhacker/ChristianOrigins/

hindu-religion.net

Tao te Ching

thetao.info/english/

chinapage.com/gnl.html

oaks.nvg.org/re3ra3.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Te_Ching

This won’t help you online since Parabola is a magazine but for those with a sincere interest in deeper spiritual ideas, I never regret renewing my subscription when it is due

parabola.org/

Is God a Taoist?

a good read. talks about free will, the nature of sin, and other fun stuff.

For those like myself with an interest in “intelligent design” suggesting the intolerable insult that there may be something more intelligent than Man, here is a link with some interesting articles.

y-origins.com/

Hello F(r)iends,

http://www.adherents.com
The religions of the world are enumerated at the link (over 43,000 stats).

-Thirst

acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phal … te-v3.html
friesian.com/taote.htm

Bob

The apostates of Islam:

apostatesofislam.com/index.htm

atheist alliance organization:

atheistalliance.org/

The raving atheist blog:

ravingatheist.com/ (he’s prolife)

Well, here we are with two of my favourites:

The Analects of Confucius:
confucius.org/lunyu/lange.htm

The Shijing:
etext.lib.virginia.edu/chinese/s … oShih.html
It’s Legge, but it’s not bad.

The Mencius:
sacred-texts.com/cfu/menc/
Again, Legge, but come on, free internet translations. Work with me here people.

The Bhagavad-gita

asitis.com/

It is rich in meaning.

free holy books.

bible

book of mormon

Hello F(r)iends,

http://www.tektonics.org/
An apologetics site…

-Thirst

confucius.org/lunyu/lange.htm

Confucian sayings – in enlish, here^.

If we’re gonna be on a Confucius-binge, may as well throw in a few texts.
The following are the Four Books, which became orthodoxy in the Song Dynasty under the influence of Zhu Xi and the Daoxue school. This orthodoxy persisted until the end of the Empire. I’ve got my issues with them . . . but it is still important to know.

First, read the “Great Learning”. It serves as a sort of primer for all later writings.

1. Next, read the Analects. It is linked above. Now that you have a lens through which to view Confucius, the subtle meanings of the Analects may become far more clear.

2. Read the Mencius (linked above). This adds the necessary level of compassion to Confucian philosophy that many found lacking in the Analects. Additionally, the Emperor as Father starts here. Ren (benevolence) is stressed above all else.

3. Read the Doctrine of the Mean. In the words of Run DMC, you better check yoursef before you wreck yoursef:
    chinapage.com/confucius/zhongyong/mean.html

The base page (chinapage.com/confucius) also has the Five Classics in Chinese if you really want them. There is also Legge’s translation of the Shijing, the Classic of Poetry listed in my previous post.

Extra Credit:

A few texts from the Xunzi. Xunzi stresses ritual (li) more than benevolence. Chronologically, he comes after Mencius. In many ways, he is a response to the Zhuangzi in the same way Mencius is a response to Mo Zi. If you like these, check out Knoblock at your local University Library. The man is a freakin’ genius.
iep.utm.edu/x/xunzi.htm
academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/core9 … n-tse.html

Here are a few articles (ranging in quality) on the Mozi. Mohists were a paramilitary philosophy that existed during the Warring States Period. Chronologically, much of the Mozi was written between the Analects and the Mencius. It is strongly critical of Confucians and the Mencius tried to respond to many of the criticisms found within:
A quick and dirty, dirty, dirty primer: angelfire.com/md2/timewarp/mozi.html
A happy little article: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozi
A comparison of Mohists and the Ru:
iun.edu/~hisdcl/h425/mozi.htm
And the text itself (incomplete translation):
cic.sfu.ca/nacc/articles/leg … momei.html

I’ll let the Daoists provide links for the Zhuangzi. However, Xun Zi relies heavily on the metaphysics present in that text. Particularly ‘On Heaven’

Here is a bit on Hanfei Zi. He was a pupil of Xun Zi . . . but think Anakin Skywalker, Obi-wan Kenobi. Machiavelli would think this guy takes pragmatism a little too far. It gives you an idea as to what Confucians AREN’T:
chinaknowledge.de/Literature … feizi.html

And for a few more modern often ‘Boston’ Confucians:
Van Norden’s work:
The Dao of Kongzi: faculty.vassar.edu/brvannor/DaoofKongzi.pdf

Tu Weiming, THE modern Confucian:
Tu on Ren: class.uidaho.edu/ngier/308/ren.htm
His webpage: tuweiming.org/

If anyone can find English translations of Lu Xun, they would definately be a nice addition. Man, did he hate Confucians.

NOW you are an expert.