Fasting

I’m in the process of doing a fast for health purposes and I was curious what others thought about fasting. There are a quite few motives for fasting and benefits can be reaped spiritually, creatively, and healthwise if done properly. Not to mention the benefit people such as Jesus, Siddhartha, along with many others acquired through such practice which led to levels of enlightenment.

In a world that seems to be growing more and more obsessed with food consumption, is fasting a lost practice worthy of revisiting?

I wouldn’t say its lost. Jews fast many times durring the year for certain holidays. Muslims fast for ramadan I believe. So can you really say its a lost practice?

Yeah, sure I can. Just because some Jews and Muslims practice fasting that doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been lost to those that do not practice it. Hence, lost practice.

I’m not a Muslim nor a Jew, yet I fast. Not to mention that quite a portion of Christianity (which is philosophically in the middle of Judaism and Islam) has no such practice whatsoever or even any consideration of fasting.

I do follow your point. It is not necessarily “lost” because some faiths do practice it, but I was shifting more emphasis on those that do not practice and growing obesity concerns.

I heard you can get a pretty mean buzz from fasting. Had something to do with the malnutrition or something.

Cheese cake?

No thank you, I’ll pass.

I think that is interesting because most Christian-oriented nations equate fasting to “malnutrition.” And they are not necessarily the same at all but can potentially overlap when fasting is done improperly. “Malnutrition” occurs when vital organs deteriorate due to lack of nutrition. Going without food just for a little while doesn’t necessarily equate to the immediate deterioration of vital organs. However, an overextended fast can lead to that.

There are several medical studies that exhibit positive effects from such a practice. Not to mention the spiritual benefit that many faiths encounter as well. Also, there can be an aesthetic “high” generated as well.

Interesting that you mention “buzz” because there are a few medical practitioners that are exploring fasting to help overcome addiction with some pretty good results.

i have always wanted to try fasting. but ive never done it. The main reason being i cant really see the benifits i would be reaping by doing it? Is it better for your body to not eat at all for a period of time, rather then eat a healthy food alternative during the same duration as a fast?

Actually, there are quite a bit of benefits to be reaped from it.

If you consider how your body reacts when you get sick, you typically lose your appetite. This allows your body to focus more on whatever abnormalities are in the system rather than be concerned with what to do with external agents (often toxins) found in food consumption. And even if you are not necessarily feeling “sick,” toxins are still building up in your body depending on your diet. Even a healthy diet can store toxins in the body.

Also, I think it is interesting to note the recent study regarding the feeding habits of mice and their lifespan. Mice who hate every other day, as opposed to eating daily lived significantly longer and had fewer health problems. And yes, I know we are not mice, but I think that displays the exagerrated overimportance we potentially place on eating daily and eating throughout the day.

I can speak from experience that fasting does provide several benefits on several different levels, but it is not easy at all to do. It is very challenging due to our conditioned dependance upon a daily intake of food. It is really a test because it is very hard to overcome the initial hunger pangs, but once you do it is really amazing what the other side looks like.
It is also important to do research and understand how to fast properly. This is VERY important. It’s very challenging at first, but the benefits are well worth it once obtained. What I think is most intriguing about such a practice is the dramatic shift in perspective you obtain. Along with cleansing out toxins and losing a few pounds, you really start paying attention to what you introduce to your body and can have extended awareness due to your body’s capacity to be more concerned with your external activity rather than internal activity.

I think Fasting is good in different ways. But Fasting is not as easy as it seems…it has its psychological impacts…but if one keeps on fasting, his body & personality will start feeling the pleasure that comes with fasting or less eating. If u r new to fasting u will initially have to learn not only
to control ur appetite but will notice some extreme reactions in ur behaviour and u have to control them too…but if u keep on eating less like (a small breakfast, may be two banana or one apple, and then
in the evening, meal equal to may be two burgers, and an apple if needed) for 6 months or for a year…then during that process you will learn to feel the pleasure that comes with less eating.

Arif