Don't Forget How to Hate

You assumed wrong. I do not mean what you assumed. I mean what I said.

Hi chanbengchin,

To hate is more a case of closing one’s eyes than to question one’s perception and to attempt to gain an objective approach. I still believe that most of the reasons why people hate are based upon prejudice and emotion rather than the rational.

Come on chan, what are you doing here?

??? It is first of all only my perception and it is not necessarily reality. We are told not to judge, lest we be judged in the same way. Secondly, why should it always be fault of the person I am “judging”?

Where you tired when you wrote this? Of course there is a difference between the erotic love of man (eros) and the selfless love of God (agape), not to mention the love of knowledge, language etc. (philos) But what are you actually trying to say?

You are using evil as though it is an entity, which I dispute. Evil is essentially an adjective that can be used as a noun in certain circumstances. There is enough in the world that is contra life and loving that can be called “evil” - of course. But I don’t believe that hatred is the only response available to us.

Shalom
Bob

Please justify. As it is your statement is very presumptuous.

You dont understand beauty do you?

I agree.

If hatred is a strong aversion, an intense dislike or an affection of the mind awakened by something regarded as evil, then it would be a moral duty to ascertain whether what I regard as “evil” is intrinsically so, or whether there are understandable factors which, unbeknown to me, motivates that which I regard evil.

In the past, the British Empire suppressed the natives of the lands they colonised and in reaction to their militancy described them as “barbaric savages.” Evil was then more the language of the church. The fact was, that the “savages” were no more barbaric than the officers and soldiers of the Empire - and were, after all, fighting for their freedom.

Please justify. As it is your statement is very presumptuous.

Shalom
Bob

Evil can only exist in a system of absolute morality where we know what is good and what is bad. Pre meditated murder in such a system can be deemed bad and evil. To hate this sin, this evil is a proper response. Therefore again we are differenciating between hating the sin and the sinner.

Personally I am in aggreement with Chan, I think he said it best.

I believe what we most dislike is our own badness that we see mirrored in other people. I find it very difficult, even though hate and abhorrence, detest and abomination are not foreign to me, to forget that I am myself not always obedient to my moral and religious sentiments. You know Romans 7:

“… we have known that the law is spiritual, and I am fleshly, sold by the sin; for that which I work, I do not acknowledge; for I practise not what I want, but what I hate.
And if I do what I do not want, I consent to the law that it is good, and it is not so much myself that is active, but sin dwelling in me… for the good that I want, I do not; but the evil that I want not, this I practise…
A wretched man I am! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death?”

How can I know this but regard my own feelings of hate “just” as the instinctive and appropriate response to evil? I am just as likely to hate what is good by this measure. That is why I am not in favour of giving a blank cheque to negative emotions.

Shalom
Bob

Hate the sin, love the sinner perhaps. Maybe the opposite of love is fear and not hatred. I can fight against ignorance, hegemony, and evil, that does not mean i have to hate other people, many have tried my patience though.

True. But that does not in anyway detract from the true meaning of hate, does it?

The hate that I am talking about is the pure meaning of the word: the hate with which God hates.

That you cannot hate justly and purely is beside the point. And the reason for this is the corruption in us. And therefore all the more we, and in this instance, our hate, cannot be the reference by which we know what is or what is not hate. That your hate is corrupted does not mean hate per se in its pure form - God’s hate - is corrupted too, does it?

And also until and unless you know what is a reference - after making sure that the reference is true and sure - can you then see yourself and know whether or not you have deviated and if so how far.

Sure before you hate, or hold other “negative emotions”, you surely have to examine yourself, but against what are you examining and measuring yourself, to know whether what you felt is justified, righteous and morally good?

[size=84]PS: My earlier “presumptuous” point about beauty. Surely there is more in beauty than just that which appeal to the eros. To me E=mc2 is beautiful and so are the Maxwell’s equations fully describing electromagnetic propagation, and so is Jerusalem, the perfection of beauty [Lam 2:15].[/size]

But the wise are those that love and fear God, and certainly not hate God …

I think the closest opposite of love is selfishness. I personally see love as more then just the feeling and constant imagination of its beauty and rapture but in ones acts of selflessness and duty to someone other then oneself.
In ones dedication to someone other then oneself is where and how I see love, where as hatred and fear I feel niether of which can really be used as an antonym.

Opposite of love is selfishness

Isn’t love selfish? If you love someone and want to care for them you will be filling your own selfish desires when you do care for them. It just doesn’t seem as selfish.

No love is not selfish. Love makes you do things you wouldn’t dream of doing if not for love. Love is the cause not the self. The focus is on the other person. Heres an example I like: If someone tells you to go into a room and give some kid a toy and in return you’ll recieve some type of reward that act has a selfish cause. But if you go into a room and you see a kid sitting by himself without a toy and you don’t want him to feel unhappy but rather want to make him happy for his sake not yours and give him a toy that is an action without a selfish intent. The same goes for love you act for the sake of the other person. They are the primary concern and rarely if ever do you stop yourself and think well if I do this I will suffer some monetary pain in order to reap a deeper inner reward later. That is flawd reasoning. Your own happness as Viktor Frankl said it well, is a side effect of giving of oneself to someone other then oneself. It is really a by-product of loves actions.

Can we know what God does? We assume that he hates because he is given human attributes in the Bible, but would not a personality that is all-knowing also penetrate the hate that grows in Mankind? We think in polarites, good and bad, up and down, north and south, love and hate, but could it be that a permeating intelligence is devoid of such contrasts?

Micah 6:8 He hath declared to thee, O man, what is good; Yea, what is JHVH requiring of thee, except—to do judgment, and love kindness, and lowly to walk with thy God?

Shalom
Bob

Love is naturally selfish. Even if we give a toy to a child we still do it for the feeling we get or to improve our environment. Notice how much selfishness there is in even purely selfless acts. A man may give his life for his family, his ideals, or even his country, but he gains honor as a result.

But if a man gives his life for a stranger? Selfish or Selfless? Death is unnatural.

In response to Marshall

Is his argument flawed? Or do you now see how not all acts are selfish.

TheUndergroundMan:
Very good thesis.

What i fail to see and perhaps you can enlighten me on is how

equates to

Marshall:
When you wrote “Love is naturally selfish” I might of perhaps made the false assumption that you meant every act of love is formed from a selfish motive. If you did not mean this I give my apologies for misinterpeting you.