Taming Demons

Lately, as a part of the extensive religious research and studies I have been doing (resulting in my absence from the boards) I came across something on various occult sites I had stumbled across. There was somethign written called “Solomon’s Last Testament”. Apparently this is the last testament of King Soloman (well, duh) and it deals wit his taming of demons and a book writen called the Goetia. There are people who claim to be able to do the same and ‘wield’ so to speak these forces to their causes. It’s more like summoning and divination than anything and supposedly these demons are suposed to obey the summoner.

To someone like me, this seems like bullsh*t. Why should they obey who calls them? There are too many problems with it, it doesn’t seem to fit right… Another thing that irks me is borrowed power. Achieving goals through these means is doing so on borrowed power, and sooner or later recompense will be expected.

Should metaphysical powers be messed with? What are the implications on such borrowed power? Does anyone have knowledge on the topic that I do not?

I’m sorry to have come back with such a wierd topic but I respect the opinions and insights of the members here perhaps more than anywhere else. And by the way, do realize that I am approaching much of this from the standpoint of a skeptic and trying to look at it from a ficticious point of view, as if I were reading a novel or such. I believe a couple of you took the same approach reading the bible, so no, I haven’t gone batty or anything else. Just curious as usual. :unamused:

I think that all demon summoning is BS. But then again I don’t believe in any from of spirit world with in this world.

I believe in two forms of Magic: Potions/herbs, which is just a form of herbal medicine. The second is suggestive magic, it’s not real; it’s the placebo effect, (i.e. the person after hearing that magic was done makes it real within themselves). Of course neither of these are real magic. Magic is just man’s first superstitious attempts at science.

I also believe that psychological problems like “hearing voices” were the origins of demons, and multiple personalities a form of possession. Religion then promised to protect people from this by God’s grace.

I believe all “power” comes from knowledge. If power doesn’t stem from knowledge then when you wheeled that power you don’t have the knowledge to control it.

The Early Hero’s of civilized men, and even today’s men borrow power.

Its sorta a Current twist in literature but this twist has been around for a while. I say literature because it is only here that we see exploitation of it in large amounts.

The Hero Does a great thing thinks to some source, But in his later years he pays some price. The hero saves the girl only to ride off into the sunset.

The line between heroic avatar and a person consumed is a verry thin line.

But to answer one of your questions. You should only Play(play isnt a good word but only one i could think of) with metaphysics if you are fullly prepared for the repricussions.

The established religions have preached against any means of metaphysical power other than the established diety.

All boils down to the ol sell your soul ticket. Dont bargin with the devil unless you are already gona loose.

Taming a demon, making a demon gentle and not afraid of human beings
to make a demon docile, not exciting, to hold the power over a demon to manage it ? To what extent would you want to? We know this is possible, but why would we want to control a demon ? I feel if it were to help rid another of a demon, in order that this would enable she/he to be an instrument of god , than this is a worthy reason to “tame” it.

Why would you want to borrow the powers of another person, thing?
This too is possible but, it would result not only in consequence, but the power of anything on Earth pales in comparison to the unending power of god .

To draw out the power of god , to envoke his name, to feel the unending love of the HOLY SPIRIT this is far greater than any other form of “borrowing”

[/quote]

No offense lharrison2 But thats a bit close minded.

Why do people borrow (astral, Cosmic) Power? because the basic human shell or body has little to no power. To feel powerfull some who belive and practice take demons and bind the demon to do their bidding. This is the Easy way to life. The Basic Idea of Modern “magic” is based on demons.

Jedo/Christian religion is a double edged sword Belive in God you get the devil Belive in the Devil and you get god.

And if you “tame” a demon to do your bidding and that bidding is the destruction of destructive forces/demons that haunt other humans. You may be doing good on a small scale But you with your belifes should know that Greatness=Corruption So when you use evil for good you eventually become evil.

You can not borrow the power of god. You really shouldnt mention his “name” in any method OTHER than Prayer.

The only thing I actually beyond doubt agree with you is that god(an infinite being) has more power than anything on earth.

Research the Idea of god and do less research on “your” god. The actuall meaning of the word differs from the religion of the word.

No, offense taken.

I do not believe in the devil, I believe there is a devil, he is in no way equal on any level to god, he has demons,(fallen angels),to do his biding,he is not omnipresent, ect.

The devil uses demons for destructive reasons, I do not knowingly want to
try to imitate that, by trying to do it myself, or feel anyone else should.

Let us draw near to god with sincere heart in full assurance of faith.

We recieve his power in the holy spirit.

I Love to pray, there IS power in his name

I also realized, neither one of us answered the questions

Metaphysical powers?

“He knew what’s what, and thats as high as metaphysic wit can fly”

Borrowing implies the power will be given back,but true power comes from god, so do we give to others what god has given us?