What if the Messiah showed up nowadays..

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: What if the Messiah showed up nowadays..

Postby Chakra Superstar » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:54 am

In ‘The Brothers Karamazov’ Dostoevsky tells a story about a time when Christ returned during the Inquisition. It’s an awesome piece of literature that articulates the debate between the materialist and religious, human nature and freedom; a battle that was raging in Russia during the latter part of the 19th century.

THE SCENE: The book (The Brothers Karamazov) revolves around three brothers. The eldest is a no-hoper/loser (he’s not in this scene). The second brother is an intellectual and hardcore atheist and the third, youngest brother is a kind, loving and deeply religious young man who joins a monastery.

In this part of the book, the atheist brother is reciting a tale/poem to his novice monk brother. The story is about Jesus’ return to Earth (Spain) during the Inquisition: Jesus performs miracles, the people recognize him and flock around him but the Church authorities arrest him and sentence him to be burned alive the following day.

The video (below) begins when The Grand Inquisitor visits Jesus in his prison cell and tells Jesus that people urgently need material care, not supernatural promises. The Grand Inquisitor tells Jesus that the Church as taken up the good works he left undone and now he, Jesus, is no longer needed. Moreover, his return would interfere with the Church’s work so he must be put to death (again). In the last minutes of the story, Jesus responds and The Grand Inquisitor breaks.

Chakra Superstar
Thinker

Postby Meno_ » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:26 am

WendyDarling wrote:You mean like a miracle of blocking out the sun with an unexpected eclipse or making all people hover in the air simultaneously? I don't think that he will go small again. Witnessing his abilities is going to be shocking and undeniable. A planet-wide earthquake might be fun.

Perhaps, Perhaps. Things can only go on like this for a while, before some very unusual corrections (miracles?) to occur.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Zero_Sum » Tue May 01, 2018 3:47 am

If God was real and I was wrong as an atheist (highly doubtful) the first thing I would ask is why such an entity has abandoned the world to constant devastation. In a particular misotheist fashion next I would call upon God's execution for crimes against humanity itself.

Of course God isn't real where all of this is just masturbatory imaginary fantasy but amusing nonetheless.
"The condition of man... is a condition of war of everyone against everyone."

"I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death."

-Thomas Hobbes-

"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon Bonaparte

“To judge from the notions expounded by theologians, one must conclude that God created most men simply with a view to crowding hell.”― Marquis de Sade

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

"Republicans are red and democrats are blue, neither political party gives a flying fuck about you." - Unknown Origin

“In the architecture of their life some may display Potemkin happiness in view of hiding the dark features of their fair weather relationship, preferring to set up a window dressing of fake satisfaction rather than being rejected as emotional outcasts." Erik Pevernagie
Zero_Sum
Machiavellian Negator, Absurdist, And Cynic

Location: United States- Financial And Commercial Corporate Feudal Oligarchic Empire/Gulag Of Wallstreet.

Re:

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed May 02, 2018 8:37 am

Magius wrote:Thanks for the correction I think, everyone I talk to says the same thing, that Muhammed was the last Messiah and that there would be no more. But your message is well noted, I hope either during the christmas break or next summer that I will get a chance to get the dusty Koran off my book shelf and open it to page 1 and not close it until I am finished. Only then will I know the truth.

Um, what about David Koresh or L Ron Hubbard??
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality