Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Fanman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm

Serendipper,

Very insightful.

I suppose a sin is a transgression of a law and I suspect that it doesn't matter what list of laws is applicable because it's assumed that "everyone has sinned and come short of the glory of God". And as Paul said, once we've broken the law, we're a lawbreaker and that's that. So it would seem there isn't much point to trying to keep a law once we've been labeled a breaker of the law; therefore whatever the law is is completely inconsequential for salvation.


Correct. We are free of the law. Salvation has superseded it, but the caveat of salvation is that we must believe in order to be saved. I find no aspect of theistic religions that is without a conditional clause.

Yes I suppose we can set goals and achieve them, but what about spiritual progress or what they call enlightenment in the East? How is a person who is in the dark able to lead himself without falling in the ditch? How is someone who needs improving going to be the one who decides how to improve?


That's a good point. It is problematic for someone in the dark to find a way out as they're not able to see the way out. That's where a set of guiding principles comes in, which can be offered by a religion or a secular means of self-improvement.
Fanman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Is the rat brain sophisticated enough to imagine its own impending demise?
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12475
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Serendipper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Fanman wrote:Correct. We are free of the law. Salvation has superseded it, but the caveat of salvation is that we must believe in order to be saved. I find no aspect of theistic religions that is without a conditional clause.

Yes and the conditional clause is the problem:

Which law do I follow / which thing do I believe? (presumption to know)
I do the right works and you don't / I believe the right thing and you don't. (cause for bragging)
How can I make myself do the unnatural / how can I make myself believe in something? (voluntarily doing the involuntary)

So, nothing has changed; only the names.

That's a good point. It is problematic for someone in the dark to find a way out as they're not able to see the way out. That's where a set of guiding principles comes in, which can be offered by a religion or a secular means of self-improvement.

How can we decide which guiding principles to choose?

This reminds me of something Alan Watts said:

I went to a meeting of geneticists not so long ago where they gathered in a group of philosophers and theologians and said, "Now look here; we need help! We now are on the verge of figuring out how to breed any kind of human character we would want to have. We can give you saints, philosophers, scientists, great politicians,,, anything you want; just tell us what kind of human beings ought we to breed."

So I said how will those of us who are genetically unregenerate make up our minds what genetically generated people might be? Because I'm afraid very much that our selection of virtues and may not work. It may be like, for example, this new kind of high-yield grain which is made and which is becoming ecologically destructive. When we interfere with the processes of nature and breed 'efficient plants' and 'efficient animals', there's always some way in which we have to pay for it and I can well-see that eugenically produced human beings might be dreadful; we could have a plague of virtuous people!


18:30 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US3dsStNHfg

If we are in a state of disrepair, how can we presume to know how to repair ourselves? All too often it is arrogance and if arrogance is the defect, then how can we cavalierly prune it out? We're beating a drum in search of a fugitive lol
Serendipper
Thinker
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby phyllo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Prismatic wrote :
What is most critical is I am still waiting for counter arguments of substance.
You can't recognize counterarguments of substance.

It's your loss.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10542
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Fanman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Pris,

3. I have given links between anxiety and religion


Which I am under no obligation to agree with.

4. Scientists has traced anxiety cells in mice.


That is the claim, but I remain sceptical. Because certain cells react to certain "anxiety" causing stimuli in mice, does not as a certainty mean that they are “anxiety cells". If you want to buy that it is your discretion, but don't expect others to jump in the boat with you.

5. Therefore they can eventually trace anxiety cells in humans note the Human Connectome Project [HCP].


Again, from 4 to 5 is an epic leap.

6. Therefore in future with advances in the HCP, humans will be able to link anxiety cells to religions [3]


Yet another epic leap. That you think these points demonstrate anything substantive is an error of judgement or logic IMV. These points are at best speculative.

I stated it is not a big leap because the Eastern religions [since thousands of years ago] are already linking religions with anxiety albeit not on the level of the specific anxiety cells but in trial and error [black box] methods involving the brain/mind.


I don't doubt that there are many effective methods of reducing anxiety, but I'm not willing to speculate about the possibility of there being “anxiety cells” that can be modulated, because scientists claim to have found anxiety cells in mice. If such a breakthrough is made in the study of human physiology and is well supported, then I will begin to speculate.

The above and many others actuality with the HCP and other advances in knowledge give me an optimism of high probability.


That is entirely your choice. Note, there is no negative reflection on others if they choose not to think as you are. There are differing degrees of what people find acceptable and reasonable.

As you can see, what is missing on part is the extra knowledge and practices necessary to answer the questions you posed.
There are still loads of missing [quite necessary] knowledge I have not posted due to time constraints. Note I don't want to waste too much time digging unless necessary.


Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean here.

Nah, what I meant is your counter argument lack substance.
As above, there are additional knowledge which you are lacking, thus effecting the substance of your counter argument or rejection.


I think that my refutations of your argument are valid, you don't. We will have to agree to disagree.

Rejected my opinions??
I have intellectual integrity and I strive to counter arguments as accurate as possible.
So far there you have not produced any justified refutations.
Note in the above case re anxiety, mice, religions, you are ignorant of so many other necessary knowledge to link them as a whole.
I have never said my arguments are 'perfect' NEVER! - the default is I am waiting for sound arguments of substance to counter my views.


Think of me what you will. The fact is, you stated that your argument/syllogism re “God is an impossibility” is perfect.

Are you serious? There is a reason that I don't link anxiety, mice and religion as a whole. I don't see the correlation and certainly not causation at this stage.

Can't you see the answers in the last statement above.
Emotions are intrinsic and inherent is ALL humans and animals.
Where did this come from if not from the DNA [nature]?
Otherwise you think it is from Nurture?


I don't agree that existential angst is “DNA ordained” rightly or wrongly. I think that the cause of existential angst is the knowledge that we will one day cease to exist.

I believe the above is new knowledge to you? [any thanks from you?  ] It must be else you would not have queried me with the above question.


Not really no, it doesn't state anything that I wasn't generally aware of. I don't think that your excerpt supports your argument that existential angst is “DNA ordained” and I don't see why you think it does either?

Re 1 - all emotions [anxiety is one] are driven by neurons. Thus there must be anxiety neurons [brain cells]. The anxiety emotions are to facilitate survival, thus existential, and procreation - also existential.


I disagree. Can you support your argumentation here?

Re 2. I have already given links and reference. If not sure, just google.


Hold on a minute. The claim is that scientists found anxiety cells in mice, how does it follow therefrom that anxiety cells led to the creation of religion? Not in terms of your opinion, but factually.
Last edited by Fanman on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fanman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Fanman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Serendipper,

How can we decide which guiding principles to choose?


That is the million dollar question. I suppose that when we're down, we choose the guiding principle that offers the best potential view of our future selves?
Fanman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby phyllo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Fanman wrote:Serendipper,

How can we decide which guiding principles to choose?


That is the million dollar question. I suppose that when we're down, we choose the guiding principle that offers the best potential view of our future selves?
Human beings already know what's good them, but they become distracted and confused. Once they realize their error, then they can choose the good guiding principles. That's a common concept in all but the nihilistic philosophies/religions.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10542
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Fanman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Pris,

I have never said my arguments are 'perfect' NEVER! - the default is I am waiting for sound arguments of substance to counter my views.


Absolutely, my syllogism is not absolutely [totally unconditioned] perfect because it is conditioned by the rules of logic and syllogism construction.

My syllogism is perfect within the rules of the framework of logic, syllogism construction, rational and philosophical.

My perfect [relative] syllogism is sufficient to rule out the possibility of the existence of an absolutely perfect God within empirical-rational reality. It proves the idea of God is a moot, a non-starter and an impossibility within empirical-rational reality.


Good luck tweaking this :lol: .
Fanman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Serendipper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:51 pm

phyllo wrote:
Fanman wrote:Serendipper,

How can we decide which guiding principles to choose?


That is the million dollar question. I suppose that when we're down, we choose the guiding principle that offers the best potential view of our future selves?
Human beings already know what's good them, but they become distracted and confused. Once they realize their error, then they can choose the good guiding principles. That's a common concept in all but the nihilistic philosophies/religions.




The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity and it is really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad because you never know what will be the consequences of the misfortune or you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune.
Serendipper
Thinker
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Serendipper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:01 pm

Fanman wrote:Serendipper,

How can we decide which guiding principles to choose?


That is the million dollar question. I suppose that when we're down, we choose the guiding principle that offers the best potential view of our future selves?

What does it mean to be down? Yes I think when people are down they choose religion as a convenient way to feel uplifted (superior). Churches prey on praying people.
Serendipper
Thinker
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby phyllo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:05 pm

The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity and it is really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad because you never know what will be the consequences of the misfortune or you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune.
That's why the Stoics say that the things over which you have no control are neither good or bad ... they are indifferent. The things over which you have control are either good or bad - your thoughts and your actions.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10542
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Serendipper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:39 pm

phyllo wrote:
The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity and it is really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad because you never know what will be the consequences of the misfortune or you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune.
That's why the Stoics say that the things over which you have no control are neither good or bad ... they are indifferent. The things over which you have control are either good or bad - your thoughts and your actions.

The Taoist are opposite and claim that your nature is infinitely more wise than your consciousness. The Zen school is often called the sudden school because it discourages thinking about solutions in lieu of spontaneity; in other words, do something quickly even if it's "wrong".
Serendipper
Thinker
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby phyllo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:51 pm

The Taoist are opposite and claim that your nature is infinitely more wise than your consciousness. The Zen school is often called the sudden school because it discourages thinking about solutions in lieu of spontaneity; in other words, do something quickly even if it's "wrong".
"Your nature" is to think. That's what distinguishes humans from other animals.

Throwing your brain into the garbage seems to be a bad idea.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10542
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Serendipper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:47 pm

phyllo wrote:
The Taoist are opposite and claim that your nature is infinitely more wise than your consciousness. The Zen school is often called the sudden school because it discourages thinking about solutions in lieu of spontaneity; in other words, do something quickly even if it's "wrong".
"Your nature" is to think.

Yeah, I thought of that. I'm not sure how the Taoists rationalize that. Apparently, I am the illusion and therefore any conscious thoughts I have aren't real, but the illusion also exists in reality, so I'm not sure of the differentiation.

That's what distinguishes humans from other animals.

Animals think.

Throwing your brain into the garbage seems to be a bad idea.

I don't think the idea is to throw the brain in the trash but to let the unconscious part take more control than the conscious. Don't think, but feel.

Serendipper
Thinker
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby phyllo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:37 am

Animals think.
I don't think the idea is to throw the brain in the trash but to let the unconscious part take more control than the conscious. Don't think, but feel.
Maybe animals feel but don't think. :-"
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10542
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Serendipper » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:40 am

phyllo wrote:
Animals think.
I don't think the idea is to throw the brain in the trash but to let the unconscious part take more control than the conscious. Don't think, but feel.
Maybe animals feel but don't think. :-"

Haha yeah I can see that, but I see them stop and appear to be pondering what to do next so they're not always spontaneous. And animals evolved into humans right? So where is the line drawn between the thinkers and instincters?
Serendipper
Thinker
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Fanman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:09 am

Serendipper,

What does it mean to be down? Yes I think when people are down they choose religion as a convenient way to feel uplifted (superior). Churches prey on praying people.


By "down", I mean at a point where self destructive behaviours have led to a person hitting rock bottom, where their life is in tatters and they're not able to function effectively. I think that at this stage people are very vulnerable, because if they cannot lift themselves out of the bad situation, any course of action or guiding principle offering redemption will seem like a way out to them. So I agree that churches can prey on praying people, but if they can offer a route out of trouble a person could take a calculated risk. If religion does help them, then the person who's helped (should they become religious) may conclude that it is God who has helped them; not seeing how much they did to help themselves.
Fanman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Fanman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:18 am

phyllo,

Human beings already know what's good them, but they become distracted and confused. Once they realize their error, then they can choose the good guiding principles. That's a common concept in all but the nihilistic philosophies/religions.


I agree, but some people aren't able to abate self-destructive behaviours, even though they're aware that such behaviours are extremely detrimental to their well-being. Good guiding principles are practicably a form of “a saviour”, but not everyone has the self-awareness necessary to recognise when they need them.
Fanman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Prismatic567 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:44 am

Ierrellus wrote:Is the rat brain sophisticated enough to imagine its own impending demise?
This is pure rhetoric.
For thousands of years humans have been experimenting with and studying animals [inside and outside] as a model to understand human beings.
First it was physical and then it progress to the mental.

I am sure you understand scientists are not that stupid to transfer what they learned of animals directly to humans. So there is no need to raise the above rhetorical question.
To confirm whether the same conclusion affect humans scientists will have to carry out various testings and verification before they arrive at a conclusion for humans.

In the research for the identification of anxiety cells, whether the mice are aware of their impending demise or not, is not critical. Note it is known only certain animals are self-aware and it is certainly humans are self-aware of mortality. It is unlikely for those animals who are self-aware [elephants, apes, dolphins, and others] of the mortality.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Prismatic567 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:07 am

Fanman wrote:Pris,

3. I have given links between anxiety and religion


Which I am under no obligation to agree with.

4. Scientists has traced anxiety cells in mice.


That is the claim, but I remain sceptical. Because certain cells react to certain "anxiety" causing stimuli in mice, does not as a certainty mean that they are “anxiety cells". If you want to buy that it is your discretion, but don't expect others to jump in the boat with you.

5. Therefore they can eventually trace anxiety cells in humans note the Human Connectome Project [HCP].


Again, from 4 to 5 is an epic leap.

6. Therefore in future with advances in the HCP, humans will be able to link anxiety cells to religions [3]


Yet another epic leap. That you think these points demonstrate anything substantive is an error of judgement or logic IMV. These points are at best speculative.

I stated it is not a big leap because the Eastern religions [since thousands of years ago] are already linking religions with anxiety albeit not on the level of the specific anxiety cells but in trial and error [black box] methods involving the brain/mind.


I don't doubt that there are many effective methods of reducing anxiety, but I'm not willing to speculate about the possibility of there being “anxiety cells” that can be modulated, because scientists claim to have found anxiety cells in mice. If such a breakthrough is made in the study of human physiology and is well supported, then I will begin to speculate.

The above and many others actuality with the HCP and other advances in knowledge give me an optimism of high probability.


That is entirely your choice. Note, there is no negative reflection on others if they choose not to think as you are. There are differing degrees of what people find acceptable and reasonable.

As you can see, what is missing on part is the extra knowledge and practices necessary to answer the questions you posed.
There are still loads of missing [quite necessary] knowledge I have not posted due to time constraints. Note I don't want to waste too much time digging unless necessary.


Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean here.

Nah, what I meant is your counter argument lack substance.
As above, there are additional knowledge which you are lacking, thus effecting the substance of your counter argument or rejection.


I think that my refutations of your argument are valid, you don't. We will have to agree to disagree.

Rejected my opinions??
I have intellectual integrity and I strive to counter arguments as accurate as possible.
So far there you have not produced any justified refutations.
Note in the above case re anxiety, mice, religions, you are ignorant of so many other necessary knowledge to link them as a whole.
I have never said my arguments are 'perfect' NEVER! - the default is I am waiting for sound arguments of substance to counter my views.


Think of me what you will. The fact is, you stated that your argument/syllogism re “God is an impossibility” is perfect.

Are you serious? There is a reason that I don't link anxiety, mice and religion as a whole. I don't see the correlation and certainly not causation at this stage.

Can't you see the answers in the last statement above.
Emotions are intrinsic and inherent is ALL humans and animals.
Where did this come from if not from the DNA [nature]?
Otherwise you think it is from Nurture?


I don't agree that existential angst is “DNA ordained” rightly or wrongly. I think that the cause of existential angst is the knowledge that we will one day cease to exist.

I believe the above is new knowledge to you? [any thanks from you?  ] It must be else you would not have queried me with the above question.


Not really no, it doesn't state anything that I wasn't generally aware of. I don't think that your excerpt supports your argument that existential angst is “DNA ordained” and I don't see why you think it does either?

Re 1 - all emotions [anxiety is one] are driven by neurons. Thus there must be anxiety neurons [brain cells]. The anxiety emotions are to facilitate survival, thus existential, and procreation - also existential.


I disagree. Can you support your argumentation here?

Re 2. I have already given links and reference. If not sure, just google.


Hold on a minute. The claim is that scientists found anxiety cells in mice, how does it follow therefrom that anxiety cells led to the creation of religion? Not in terms of your opinion, but factually.
I believe your above resistance to my views is you prefer not to exercise your intelligence.

Here is one view from Quora;

Intelligence is the ability to grasp more knowledge or to make use of the existing knowledge you have. You know the speed of light, now why is it important and how and where you can use its value - that is intelligence. You know what a motor does, but where you can use it to your advantage - that is intelligence.


What I have been doing is to use existing knowledge to form a very probable hypothesis [note I am saying mine is a proven theory].

Hold on a minute. The claim is that scientists found anxiety cells in mice, how does it follow therefrom that anxiety cells led to the creation of religion? Not in terms of your opinion, but factually.
I have NOT claimed mine is a proven theory.
I have given you my hypothesis re my points 1-6 above.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Prismatic567 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:18 am

Fanman wrote:Pris,

1. I have never said my arguments are 'perfect' NEVER! - the default is I am waiting for sound arguments of substance to counter my views.


2. Absolutely, my syllogism is not absolutely [totally unconditioned] perfect because it is conditioned by the rules of logic and syllogism construction.

My syllogism is perfect within the rules of the framework of logic, syllogism construction, rational and philosophical.

My perfect [relative] syllogism is sufficient to rule out the possibility of the existence of an absolutely perfect God within empirical-rational reality. It proves the idea of God is a moot, a non-starter and an impossibility within empirical-rational reality.


Good luck tweaking this :lol: .
You have to apply the Principle of Charity here.

In 1, note 'perfect' in ' ' [astrophe] which meant absolutely perfect. Thus I don't claim absolute perfection.

But in 2 I differentiated 'absolutely perfect' from 'relatively perfect.'

I can say I have a perfect [relative] score [100/100 or 100%] in an objective test I took but that is not an absolute perfection. Such is confusing and seemingly contradicting in layman terms, but not philosophically. You find it confusing?
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Fanman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:36 am

Pris,

I believe your above resistance to my views is you prefer not to exercise your intelligence.


That's funny. There is no “resistance”, I disagree with you, because I think that you are wrong. When I think that you're right, I agree. This phenomena, is called "choice".

What I have been doing is to use existing knowledge to form a very probable hypothesis [note I am saying mine is a proven theory].


What is a proven theory?

I have NOT claimed mine is a proven theory.


I never stated that you did.

I have given you my hypothesis re my points 1-6 above.

Whereby I've highlighted what I see as the issues.
Fanman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Fanman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:42 am

Pris,

You have to apply the Principle of Charity here.

In 1, note 'perfect' in ' ' [astrophe] which meant absolutely perfect. Thus I don't claim absolute perfection.

But in 2 I differentiated 'absolutely perfect' from 'relatively perfect.'

I can say I have a perfect [relative] score [100/100 or 100%] in an objective test I took but that is not an absolute perfection. Such is confusing and seemingly contradicting in layman terms, but not philosophically. You find it confusing?


No, I'm not confused about this. You emphatically claimed that you've never said that your arguments are perfect, but you did claim your argument/syllogism is perfect. What is there to possibly be confused about? I know what perfection means. You seem to be the one struggling with the term.
Fanman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Prismatic567 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:48 am

Fanman wrote:
Can't you see the answers in the last statement above.
Emotions are intrinsic and inherent is ALL humans and animals.
Where did this come from if not from the DNA [nature]?
Otherwise you think it is from Nurture?


I don't agree that existential angst is “DNA ordained” rightly or wrongly. I think that the cause of existential angst is the knowledge that we will one day cease to exist.
Can't you see the answer is implied in your own statement.

How ALL humans will know the certainty of mortality if not for their DNA therein that automatically enable them the faculty of self-awareness [after 18 months ++]?
ALL humans are programmed within their DNA to be self-aware whether they like it or not, want it or not.
The existential angst will manifest in the later years, i.e. late teens.
Nature has created this existential dilemma but nature has also provide an easy solution [optimal and temporary], i.e. religions. The most effective and immediate solution to deal with the existential angst [anxieties] is religion. This is why >90% of humans are religious naturally.

But being double-edged it is also very obvious religiosity manifest their share of terrible evils and pose a serious threat to humanity - to the extreme of the extermination of the species.

Saudi crown prince warns it will build nuclear bomb if Tehran does the same
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... bin-salman

Soon it will be easier for Islam extremists who has nothing to loose to get access to cheap nukes.

That is the problem with your thinking, you don't imbue into your thinking with the drive for deeper exploration. You have a very hardcore resistant to certain useful knowledge and are always scratching the obvious on the surface ONLY.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am

Re: Researchers Discover 'Anxiety Cells' In The Brain

Postby Fanman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:37 am

Pris,

How ALL humans will know the certainty of mortality if not for their DNA therein that automatically enable them the faculty of self-awareness [after 18 months ++]?
ALL humans are programmed within their DNA to be self-aware whether they like it or not, want it or not.
The existential angst will manifest in the later years, i.e. late teens.
Nature has created this existential dilemma but nature has also provide an easy solution [optimal and temporary], i.e. religions. The most effective and immediate solution to deal with the existential angst [anxieties] is religion. This is why >90% of humans are religious naturally.


I'm not convinced. These premises aren't as simple and straight-forward as you're attempting to reduce them to. Hence, I don't believe that it is correct to condense the complex relationship between DNA and how it influences our psychology into a few lines. So I'm not going to draw any definite conclusions.

That is the problem with your thinking, you don't imbue into your thinking with the drive for deeper exploration. You have a very hardcore resistant to certain useful knowledge and are always scratching the obvious on the surface ONLY.


You're entitled to your views, but I disagree with your assessment.
Fanman
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users