Washington Post: Gun Rights Is Systemic White Racism.

Turn your guns in white people otherwise you’re an evil racist.

washingtonpost.com/news/mad … b125bf6905

Yeah, that seems like a weak argument. It would mean things like voting was systemic white racism, since voting was restricted to white men back then. Or running for office.

two things, first of all, the article is correct…
no question about it…

second, I really, really, really can’t tell if Karpel is
being serious or not… because his comment is
absolutely correct… which makes the post article
even more correct, not weaker…

maybe because its first thing in the morning, that
I can’t tell… I should probable eat breakfast and
then maybe I can tell the difference between straight
statements and sarcasm…

Kropotkin

So I take you don’t vote then, and would like to ban voting.
Of course what was considered democracy was then built around the sexist and racist ideas of the time. That doesn’t mean we should ban voting now when the various races and women get to vote. The drug war on the other hand is still racist in the way it is carried out and in its legislation (re: class and race based drug choices being differently handled by the courts) and was intended to be a way of enacting government racism when it started, long before a Bush started slurping out just say no. In terms of the drug war the articles kind of reasoning would make sense. In terms of gun ownership it does not.

The white man is akin to the devil, get in line white goys.

K: I have voted every single election, presidental and midterm, since 1980 and I would
push voting rights much further then they are now to include people convicted of felonies…
I want greater voting rights then we have now… the war on drugs is racist but the entire
gun culture is about white rights… see the response a white person carrying a gun gets
compare to a black person… and we see racism hard at work… in 1968, the black panthers,
here in california push for gun ownership for blacks and with the help of the NRA, the
state pushed through laws banning guns… and why, because it was the blacks who had the
guns and the whites, again with major funding by the NRA, pushed laws banning guns…
so, the gun ownership is owned by and for whites…

Kropotkin

Yes white devils are everywhere, they need to be reeducated or shot on sight, right Peter Kropotkin?

Karpel: So I take you don’t vote then, and would like to ban voting.
Of course what was considered democracy was then built around the sexist and racist ideas of the time. That doesn’t mean we should ban voting now when the various races and women get to vote. The drug war on the other hand is still racist in the way it is carried out and in its legislation (re: class and race based drug choices being differently handled by the courts) and was intended to be a way of enacting government racism when it started, long before a Bush started slurping out just say no. In terms of the drug war the articles kind of reasoning would make sense. In terms of gun ownership it does not.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
K: I have voted every single election, presidental and midterm, since 1980 and I would
push voting rights much further then they are now to include people convicted of felonies…
I want greater voting rights then we have now… the war on drugs is racist but the entire
gun culture is about white rights… see the response a white person carrying a gun gets
compare to a black person… and we see racism hard at work… in 1968, the black panthers,
here in california push for gun ownership for blacks and with the help of the NRA, the
state pushed through laws banning guns… and why, because it was the blacks who had the
guns and the whites, again with major funding by the NRA, pushed laws banning guns…
so, the gun ownership is owned by and for whites…

Z: Yes white devils are everywhere, they need to be reeducated or shot on sight, right Peter Kropotkin?

K: those are your words, not mine… I should point out I am white, so I am one of those
“white” devils you refer to… and to be able to shoot people on sight kinda defeats the
whole point of gun control… you want to prevent, PREVENT, people from being shot on sight…
so, no shooting on sight… as far as reeducation goes, I have advocated education as
being one of the basis of the modern age and I have pointed out that “modern” education
with its emphasis on job training and the gaining of job skills as being one of the major
failures of the modern world…so, in fact, I think, most people could use to be reeducated
with the emphasis being not to gain job skills or to make a living, but to become human…
with the point of education being the gaining of wisdom and not the pursuit of wealth…
or the gaining of job skills…

Kropotkin

I would too and have said that elsewhere. But my point was that voting was, and still is easier for whites - if nothing else because of the way the drug war is fought so felons tend to be black, etc. However one would not call voting racist and not start a position to eliminate it, or label voting racist period. You would fight to extend voting, as you do.

There is something to this argument, but going back to 1968 is not a good start. I am sure that given racism, blacks with weapons, legal or illegal, are treated worse than white owners. But here the idea is to eliminate guns, rather than make it fairer in the treatment of gun owners. More white people own guns than blacks but it is still a significant percentage of black homes that have guns. 32 % for blacks 49 for whites. Could be income that makes the difference. IOW there is significant black gun ownership. Yet here we decide that gun ownership was racist in the past as this part of an argument to eliminate guns, rather than, as with voting, make it fairer.

If the way something was done in the past was racist and these facets have not been eliminated, and we decide by this categorical criticism, all sorts of society should be eliminated. Public schooling should be eliminated on these grounds.

I think the article is making grounded on a weak argument. One that will be appealing to many liberals, but it shouldn’t be. They can make other sound arguments against gun ownership and should notice there is something silly at the heart of this one.