Self-treating fevers

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Self-treating fevers

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am

From the Mayo clinic, a pretty standard medical establisment way of dealing with fevers....

Adults
Age Temperature What to do
18 years and up Up to 102 F (38.9 C) taken orally Rest and drink plenty of fluids. Medication isn't needed. Call the doctor if the fever is accompanied by a severe headache, stiff neck, shortness of breath, or other unusual signs or symptoms.
18 years and up Above 102 F (38.9 C) taken orally If you're uncomfortable, take acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or aspirin. Read the label carefully for proper dosage, and be careful not to take more than one medication containing acetaminophen, such as some cough and cold medicines. Call the doctor if the fever doesn't respond to the medication, is consistently 103 F (39.4 C) or higher, or lasts longer than three days.

Fevers are part of the bodies defense. It is both a sign of immune response and the raised temperature is part of the attack on the bacteria/virus. Why suppress it?
'If you are uncomfortable...' Well, who isn't uncomfortable when one has a fever?
There are fever levels, generally 105 and up where one should take measures - though they don't have to be chemical ones - to lower the body's temperature. But below these there is no good reason to stifle the body's own immune response. People most likely think the pills they are taking are medicine. They are not medicine. They are attacking your body, not the invader.
Karpel Tunnel
Thinker

Re: Self-treating fevers

Postby Serendipper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 am

Karpel Tunnel wrote:Fevers are part of the bodies defense. It is both a sign of immune response and the raised temperature is part of the attack on the bacteria/virus. Why suppress it?
'If you are uncomfortable...' Well, who isn't uncomfortable when one has a fever?
There are fever levels, generally 105 and up where one should take measures - though they don't have to be chemical ones - to lower the body's temperature. But below these there is no good reason to stifle the body's own immune response. People most likely think the pills they are taking are medicine. They are not medicine. They are attacking your body, not the invader.

Coincidentally, I have a fever now lol! Sweating it out is the general tactic, but I'm not chilled so I can't take the heat required to accomplish that.

I have no explanation for the feverish crusade against fevers except that they'd prefer you spend more money on meds. Sometimes I suspect my immunity is less than my fathers because my mother rushed me to the dr at every sniffle which left my body too reliant on meds rather than developing its own defenses.
Serendipper
Thinker

Re: Self-treating fevers

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:54 am

Yup.
Karpel Tunnel
Thinker

Return to Science, Technology, and Math