Analytic Truth-Value

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Venture » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:31 pm

I have almost completely abandoned any sort of literary or normative study of philosophy to understand formal sciences. Accordingly, the Analytic-Synthetic distinction interests me a great deal, in addition to mathematical knowledge. If we accept that all analytic propositions and mathematical knowing is the purest (most reduced and 'perfect') form of synthetic a priori, what does this natural and universal quantifying allow us to accomplish? What arguments can be put forth against 2+2=4? Currently, I have come to accept that complex mathematical knowledge is a profound and natural phenomenon only occurring in humans, which allows us to understand an object in-itself.

There are three problems I would like to discuss.

1) What is 0?
How can we come to knowing or signifying 0? Is it not circular and facetious to represent "nothing" as presence?

2) Perpetual limitation
It is impossible to quantifying everything, and having a limited perspective is not transcended, nor is it ever transcended, by ways of analytic propositions and maths.

3) Chaos
This problem concerns the categorization of analytic versus synthetic propositions in so far as pragmatism has given the latter the power to control or estrange the former.
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
"
User avatar
Venture
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:12 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby James S Saint » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Venture wrote:1) What is 0?
How can we come to knowing or signifying 0? Is it not circular and facetious to represent "nothing" as presence?

Zero does not represent "nothing". As with all numbers, it represents a quantity of something. Zero represents the quantity of the complete lack of something: I have zero, "0", full grown elephants in my shirt pocket.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 24511
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Ecmandu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Venture wrote:I have almost completely abandoned any sort of literary or normative study of philosophy to understand formal sciences. Accordingly, the Analytic-Synthetic distinction interests me a great deal, in addition to mathematical knowledge. If we accept that all analytic propositions and mathematical knowing is the purest (most reduced and 'perfect') form of synthetic a priori, what does this natural and universal quantifying allow us to accomplish? What arguments can be put forth against 2+2=4? Currently, I have come to accept that complex mathematical knowledge is a profound and natural phenomenon only occurring in humans, which allows us to understand an object in-itself.

There are three problems I would like to discuss.

1) What is 0?
How can we come to knowing or signifying 0? Is it not circular and facetious to represent "nothing" as presence?

2) Perpetual limitation
It is impossible to quantifying everything, and having a limited perspective is not transcended, nor is it ever transcended, by ways of analytic propositions and maths.

3) Chaos
This problem concerns the categorization of analytic versus synthetic propositions in so far as pragmatism has given the latter the power to control or estrange the former.


Well.. 1 unit of 2.5 plus another unit of 2.5, allows 1+1 to equal 5. 2+2 to equal 10

1.) zero is a product of simulation, even as a base, it is abstracted as a placeholder. It is our imagination which facilitates our abstraction of zero.

2.) perceptual limitation is what allows us to see in the first place... A balance between telescopic and microscopic senses

3.) an analytic proposition is even synthetic to the extent that the comparison capacity is "out there in the world". I'd say everything is synthetic
Do unto yourself and others as you'd do unto yourself if you were them (and you) - Ecmandu's Rule.

Ecmandu's second rule: calculate the set of your argument upon itself before you argue!

Stratification of motivational systems towards conspicuous consumption or extraneous drama cause all human ills - that was the most important thing you'll ever read in your life. - Ecmandu

The biggest problem in life... That more than one person wants the same thing! Solve this, and you have beaten the demon of life!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6528
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Wyld » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:40 am

Analytic "philosophy" is shit. It isn't even philosophy at all.
"Those who attach such importance to the ought of morality and fancy that morality is destroyed if the ought is not recognized as ultimate truth, and those too who, reasoning from the level of the understanding, derive a perpetual satisfaction from being able to confront everything there is with an ought, that is, with a 'knowing better' −− and for that very reason are just as loath to be robbed of the ought −− do not see that as regards the finitude of their sphere the ought receives full recognition. But in the world of actuality itself, Reason and Law are not in such a bad way that they only ought to be... The philosophy of Kant and Fichte sets up the ought as the highest point of the resolution of the contradictions of Reason; but the truth is that the ought is only the standpoint which clings to finitude and thus to contradiction." -Hegel, Science of Logic
User avatar
Wyld
Thinker
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: Truth

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Venture » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Wyld wrote:Analytic "philosophy" is shit. It isn't even philosophy at all.


Why is that?
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
"
User avatar
Venture
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:12 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Wyld » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:57 pm

I am unable to contact you in PM, let me know how best to message you here or elsewhere and I'll send you a few things.

In brief sum, analytic philosophy is empty, groundless, positivistic word-games with no relation to anything meaningful or significant. Analytic philosophy treats words as things in themselves and believes that mathematical operations constitute a sufficient and legitimate means of arriving at truths. Analytic philosophy is a willing apology to scientific positivism and to neoliberal capitalism, precisely because analytic philosophy deliberately evades real issues and real questions. It is for scientists who fail at philosophy, and "philosophers" who fail at science.

For an easy example consider the so called problem of analysis. The implicit assumption is that conceptual meaningfulness is always already strict definitional, and that definitions cannot give new information. Analytic philosophy is totally ignorant of what concepts are, why they exist, how the exist, from where they get or fail to get justification, as well as the fact that we already know far more than we know we know. Analytic philosophy tries to reduce thought, language and meaning to a barest standard of universal sufficiency, which is ironic since such a standard isn't even possible because if it were possible that would necessarily violate what "thought, language and meaning" are to begin with, as well as why/how they are and why/how they are used and useful at all.

Analytic philosophy is basically the ideal of turning human minds into computers. It is deeply nihilistic and trends into the garbage of transhumanist/scientific positivism (i.e. religion).
"Those who attach such importance to the ought of morality and fancy that morality is destroyed if the ought is not recognized as ultimate truth, and those too who, reasoning from the level of the understanding, derive a perpetual satisfaction from being able to confront everything there is with an ought, that is, with a 'knowing better' −− and for that very reason are just as loath to be robbed of the ought −− do not see that as regards the finitude of their sphere the ought receives full recognition. But in the world of actuality itself, Reason and Law are not in such a bad way that they only ought to be... The philosophy of Kant and Fichte sets up the ought as the highest point of the resolution of the contradictions of Reason; but the truth is that the ought is only the standpoint which clings to finitude and thus to contradiction." -Hegel, Science of Logic
User avatar
Wyld
Thinker
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: Truth

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Ecmandu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:34 pm

Wyld is right, and it's speaks well of our world of double talk, that crap is called analytic, and grounded is called synthetic
Do unto yourself and others as you'd do unto yourself if you were them (and you) - Ecmandu's Rule.

Ecmandu's second rule: calculate the set of your argument upon itself before you argue!

Stratification of motivational systems towards conspicuous consumption or extraneous drama cause all human ills - that was the most important thing you'll ever read in your life. - Ecmandu

The biggest problem in life... That more than one person wants the same thing! Solve this, and you have beaten the demon of life!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6528
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Wyld » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:03 am

Haha, fair point.
"Those who attach such importance to the ought of morality and fancy that morality is destroyed if the ought is not recognized as ultimate truth, and those too who, reasoning from the level of the understanding, derive a perpetual satisfaction from being able to confront everything there is with an ought, that is, with a 'knowing better' −− and for that very reason are just as loath to be robbed of the ought −− do not see that as regards the finitude of their sphere the ought receives full recognition. But in the world of actuality itself, Reason and Law are not in such a bad way that they only ought to be... The philosophy of Kant and Fichte sets up the ought as the highest point of the resolution of the contradictions of Reason; but the truth is that the ought is only the standpoint which clings to finitude and thus to contradiction." -Hegel, Science of Logic
User avatar
Wyld
Thinker
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: Truth

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby James S Saint » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:51 am

Wyld wrote:Analytic "philosophy" is shit. It isn't even philosophy at all.

Since analytic philosophy is mostly what you are personally doing, I suspect that you misunderstand to what the term is referring.

Analytic Philosophy (or sometimes Analytical Philosophy) is a 20th Century movement in philosophy which holds that philosophy should apply logical techniques in order to attain conceptual clarity, and that philosophy should be consistent with the success of modern science. For many Analytic Philosophers, language is the principal (perhaps the only) tool, and philosophy consists in clarifying how language can be used.

Analytic Philosophy is also used as a catch-all phrase to include all (mainly Anglophone) branches of contemporary philosophy not included under the label Continental Philosophy, such as Logical Positivism, Logicism and Ordinary Language Philosophy. To some extent, these various schools all derive from pioneering work at Cambridge University in the early 20th Century and then at Oxford University after World War II, although many contributors were in fact originally from Continental Europe.

Analytic Philosophy as a specific movement was led by Bertrand Russell, Alfred North Whitehead, G. E. Moore and Ludwig Wittgenstein. Turning away from then-dominant forms of Hegelianism, (particularly objecting to its Idealism and its almost deliberate obscurity), they began to develop a new sort of conceptual analysis based on new developments in Logic, and succeeded in making substantial contributions to philosophical Logic over the first half of the 20th Century.
For example, a traditional philosophical problem is “Does God exist?” Various philosophical schools have proposed answers to this question, but analytic philosophy approaches it by saying, “What do you mean by God?” Different religions have wildly different ideas about what the word “God” means, so before you can approach the question of God’s existence you have to define your terms more clearly.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 24511
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:07 am

Analytic philosophy give us:

People only wear shorts when it is hot
John is wearing shirts
Therefor it is hot

Synthetic philosophy is:

Is it hot when john is wearing shorts?

James prides himself on being the resident logitician, but failed miserably with this post.

Analytic is the comparison of propositions, synthetic is matching a proposition to the world out there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic–synthetic_distinction

Link doesn't work... Just type analytic synthetic into google
Do unto yourself and others as you'd do unto yourself if you were them (and you) - Ecmandu's Rule.

Ecmandu's second rule: calculate the set of your argument upon itself before you argue!

Stratification of motivational systems towards conspicuous consumption or extraneous drama cause all human ills - that was the most important thing you'll ever read in your life. - Ecmandu

The biggest problem in life... That more than one person wants the same thing! Solve this, and you have beaten the demon of life!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6528
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby James S Saint » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:18 am

Analytic is not the opposite of synthetic, they are merely different.

Analytics are provable, necessarily true or false. Synthetics tend to be presumptuous, a thoughtless guess.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 24511
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Wyld » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:20 am

James doesn't know what he is talking about. Well actually he does, he is just being deliberately misleading.

The philosophy that I engage in would be most associated to the continental tradition. That is where real philosophy resides. The problem is that much of continental philosophy also sucks, it just sucks for a different reason than the reason why analytic philosophy sucks.

Continental philosophy sucks because it is still quite nascent and hasn't pushed far and honestly enough into its own method and conclusions. It "sucks" often enough because it actually has the potential to be great, and in rare cases reaches that potential.

Analytic philosophy sucks because it isn't philosophy.

If you doubt me, check out this nonsense for an example: http://www.academia.edu/20883864/Causat ... Your_Enemy
Last edited by Wyld on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who attach such importance to the ought of morality and fancy that morality is destroyed if the ought is not recognized as ultimate truth, and those too who, reasoning from the level of the understanding, derive a perpetual satisfaction from being able to confront everything there is with an ought, that is, with a 'knowing better' −− and for that very reason are just as loath to be robbed of the ought −− do not see that as regards the finitude of their sphere the ought receives full recognition. But in the world of actuality itself, Reason and Law are not in such a bad way that they only ought to be... The philosophy of Kant and Fichte sets up the ought as the highest point of the resolution of the contradictions of Reason; but the truth is that the ought is only the standpoint which clings to finitude and thus to contradiction." -Hegel, Science of Logic
User avatar
Wyld
Thinker
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: Truth

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Wyld » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:23 am

"Those who attach such importance to the ought of morality and fancy that morality is destroyed if the ought is not recognized as ultimate truth, and those too who, reasoning from the level of the understanding, derive a perpetual satisfaction from being able to confront everything there is with an ought, that is, with a 'knowing better' −− and for that very reason are just as loath to be robbed of the ought −− do not see that as regards the finitude of their sphere the ought receives full recognition. But in the world of actuality itself, Reason and Law are not in such a bad way that they only ought to be... The philosophy of Kant and Fichte sets up the ought as the highest point of the resolution of the contradictions of Reason; but the truth is that the ought is only the standpoint which clings to finitude and thus to contradiction." -Hegel, Science of Logic
User avatar
Wyld
Thinker
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: Truth

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby James S Saint » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:27 am

Well, you guys can invent your own personal definitions and idealized concepts of what "real philosophy" is if you like, but the "real world" of philosophers, seriously famous ones, say otherwise (e.g. Bertrand Russell, Alfred North Whitehead, G. E. Moore and Ludwig Wittgenstein.).

You are each proposing that "real philosophy" is the bantering about subjects without even knowing what the subject is (common mindless thrashing .. and accusing without examining). And your last few posts are in fact a reflection of such presumptuousness.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 24511
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby -1- » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:24 am

James S Saint wrote:And your last few posts are in fact a reflection of such presumptuousness.


Ah, but what pompously sumptuous presumptuousness!
-1-
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby James S Saint » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:45 am

-1- wrote:Ah, but what pompously sumptuous presumptuousness!

How sublimely hateful. But then they need new members for their lil hate fest, despite the help provided.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 24511
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:30 am

James is a believer in theoretical constructs. He thinks that forces are farces because they are clearly theoretical constructs that never were anything more than theoretical constructs, whereas affectance is a theoretical construct that is reality itself simply because it's a part of an all-encompassing theory (which is a pretentious, practically useless, theory with a ridiculously high input/output ratio.) And QM is a fantasy even though it works because it doesn't describe reality "as it is". As if theories can ever be anything more than theories -- procedures that can generate predictions based on given parameters.
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:09 am

James S Saint wrote:But then they need new members for their lil hate fest, despite the help provided.

So you tend to attempt to school the other rather than debate the other?
Image
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 16639
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby James S Saint » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

MagsJ wrote:
James S Saint wrote:But then they need new members for their lil hate fest, despite the help provided.

So you tend to attempt to school the other rather than debate the other?

I was the one on topic.
How about actually read threads before you do your judging.
Last edited by James S Saint on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 24511
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby James S Saint » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:45 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:James is a believer in theoretical constructs. He thinks that forces are farces because they are clearly theoretical constructs that never were anything more than theoretical constructs, whereas affectance is a theoretical construct that is reality itself simply because it's a part of an all-encompassing theory

Sounds like a damn good reason.

Magnus Anderson wrote:(which is a pretentious, practically useless, theory with a ridiculously high input/output ratio.)

You have absolutely no clue because you know nothing about it at all.
Yet here you are trying to derate it.
And why?
Certainly not because of your intellect.

Magnus Anderson wrote: And QM is a fantasy even though it works because it doesn't describe reality "as it is". As if theories can ever be anything more than theories -- procedures that can generate predictions based on given parameters.

RM:AO proves that theories can be "more than just theories". But you wouldn't know anything about that.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 24511
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Theory is a description of a procedure that can be used to generate predictions using given parameters.

Theories can be created any way you want, but if they are to be of practical value, they must be grounded in prior observations -- they must be able to predict past events. The greater the number of past events it can predict, the more grounded the theory.

The truth value of a theory is expressed as a set of its predictions that were tested (verified or falsified.)

You can simplify this expression by reducing it to a true/false ratio by dividing the number of verified predictions by the number of falsified predictions.

You can go further and reduce the expression to binary true/false using whatever method you want (one would be using "true" for >=0.5 t/f ratio and "false" for any other ratio.)

Because theories have a universal application, the number of predictions they can generate is infinite. This means that theories have no ultimate truth value. Instead, as its set of tested predictions changes, so does its truth value.

Theories are differentiated not only by their scope -- by the range of predictions they can make -- but also by the kind of input they take and by the speed with which output is generated.

All-encompassing theories are clumsy because they take too much input and because they take too much time to generate output. They are, for the most part, recreation.

Every instrument has advantages and disadvantages. There is no instrument without disadvantages. Whenever you switch from one instrument to another you are accepting certain trade-off. There is no ultimate instrument.

You can prove that theories are "more than just theories" lol. You totally solved Hume's problem of induction, didn't you?
Last edited by Magnus Anderson on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby James S Saint » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:Theory is a description of a procedure that can be used to generate predictions using given parameters.

That is called a "hypothesis".

As we have discussed before .. try to get your words right and perhaps others won't seem as moronic as you acuse. And perhaps you will appear less so to them as well.

Magnus Anderson wrote:Theories can be created any way you want, but if they are to be of practical value, they must be grounded in prior observations

You have no idea of what is required of theories.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 24511
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:56 pm

You are paying way too much of your attention to superficial, irrelevant, distinctions. Wyld was correct. You do not see beyond words. You are a herd animal. Language is everything there is for you.
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:00 pm

James S Saint wrote:You have no idea of what is required of theories.


What is required is determined by need. And there is no universal need.

But being a dumb herd animal that you are, with your longing for belonging, you cannot not believe in universal need.
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Analytic Truth-Value

Postby James S Saint » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:You are paying way too much of your attention to superficial, irrelevant, distinctions.

On the contrary, you do not pay enough attention to relevant distinctions and thus mislead yourself and others. And Wyld will disagree with anything that I say regardless (arrested adolescents are like that).

Magnus Anderson wrote: Language is everything there is for you.

Nah.. It's just the part of thinking that you are missing most.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 24511
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Next

Return to Science, Technology, and Math



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users