I’m intrigued.

Maybe they sound like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=eSpV7m6zKf4

Or maybe they sound like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=ARp5267Rkwg

Or maybe they sound like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=vl9Lr8KZRBM

Who knows.

Well French is more nasal, and New York accent is a higher winy kind of sound, so I’m going with French new Yorkers. :stuck_out_tongue:

What happened to the bass from the large lungs?

So, who knows how latin “R” was pronounced?

the pronounced it just like the Samnite R.

The Neanderthalers had no speech ability. That’s why they died out or were absorbed into the human species. Because humans dominated them in warfare against them, since humans could co-ordinate their troops over distance, by screaming at each other where the immediate danger was, where fortified forces were needed, where they had resources freed up. The poor Neanderthalers had no chance. DESPITE being more intelligent than humans. They were unable to use their intelligence in socially conducive ways. They were better at psyching out pi, or the square root of ten, than humans, already pronto.

“Latrina”?

I think they were deaf, not mute. I had this discussion on a older forum, they were reduced to using close contact hunting strategies, holding spears instead of throwing them. Even throwing requires coordination, but close contact a lot. It can be pulled off in either case with grunts and whistles, modern infantry combat doesn’t require much words, but is signal intensive. If your hidden from a distance, the inability to speak a language doesn’t hurt you, as you can still make other sounds. But if your mute or deaf, your stuck on a line of sight basis.

Most Neanderthal injuries are similar to that of rodeo clowns. Don’t think they could pull off the woodland hunting methods of talking that would make spear throwing work in large groups. You can completely eliminate language, the could still vocally maneuver, but not when you eliminate sound.