Magic Powers Verification.

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Magic Powers Verification.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:27 pm

Ok so I took a test today and they gave me zero training on the subject.

So by the last part of the test I just didn't even read the questions and just chose whatever answers the voice in my head told me to pick.
Voice in my head gauranteed they'd be right.

So tomorrow we will verify.

If the last 4 questions of the test are right, I have magical powers.
If over 2 of them are wrong, then the voice in my head is a liar. We will see.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Re: Magic Powers Verification.

Postby James S Saint » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:01 pm

Such a test must be conducted at least 3 times in order to get even the tiniest bit of significant data. 8)
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:50 pm

Predict a successful verification, because it has already been shown that there is significant variation in testing in cases like this, as the number of tries is increased.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:29 am

James S Saint wrote:Such a test must be conducted at least 3 times in order to get even the tiniest bit of significant data. 8)

Nah. There is a 1/256 chance of getting all 4 questions right. So if they are all right, it obviously ain't chance.

1/4*1/4*1/4*1/4 = 1/256 chance
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby James S Saint » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:41 am

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
James S Saint wrote:Such a test must be conducted at least 3 times in order to get even the tiniest bit of significant data. 8)

Nah. There is a 1/256 chance of getting all 4 questions right. So if they are all right, it obviously ain't chance.

Sorry to be a pain, but if there is even 1/1,000,000 chance, it is meaningless (scientifically speaking).
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else

It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".

Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:46 am

James S Saint wrote:

Sorry to be a pain, but if there is even 1/1,000,000 chance, it is meaningless (scientifically speaking).

No.

It's like, if a voice in my head tells me an asteroid will hit the effiel tower 1 year from now, and one year from now it hits the effiel tower, which is like a 1/1 million chance, it is scientifically not meaningless.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby James S Saint » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:53 am

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:It's like, if a voice in my head tells me an asteroid will hit the effiel tower 1 year from now, and one year from now it hits the effiel tower, which is like a 1/1 million chance, it is scientifically not meaningless.

Well, I'll give you that. But you were not speaking of an event THAT unlikely.
Else

James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:57 am

Look, there's no way in heck I got those answers right on those test without magic powers. They were extremely esoteric questions and I didn't even bother to read them.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:58 am

Put it this way, if I got the questions right there is a 255/256 chance I have magic powers.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby MagsJ » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:59 am

In other words, Trixie.. you were trying to wing it.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:01 am

MagsJ wrote:In other words, Trixie.. you were trying to wing it.

Don't know what you mean by that. In essence i turned off my targetting computer and used the Force.

"Wing it" is an understatement, I didn't even read the questions and the answers were just a bunch of technical jargon.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby James S Saint » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:08 am

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Look, there's no way in heck I got those answers right on those test without magic powers. They were extremely esoteric questions and I didn't even bother to read them.

All that means is that you "flip a coin".

And when you merely "flip a coin", you might get it right. But to know that you got it right by more than merely statistical probability, you have to experience it beyond mere statistical probability. And once isn't enough for merely flipping a coin. Statistics requires multiple trials.
Else

James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:13 am

Don't know what you mean by that. In essence i turned off my targetting computer and used the Force.
That sounds familiar :-k lol.

"Wing it" is an understatement, I didn't even read the questions and the answers were just a bunch of technical jargon.
Did you have a vague Idea of the answers, or none at all? none being not good.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:22 am

James S Saint wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Look, there's no way in heck I got those answers right on those test without magic powers. They were extremely esoteric questions and I didn't even bother to read them.

All that means is that you "flip a coin".

And when you merely "flip a coin", you might get it right. But to know that you got it right by more than merely statistical probability, you have to experience it beyond mere statistical probability. And once isn't enough for merely flipping a coin. Statistics requires multiple trials.

Wasn't flipping a coin. Flipping a coin is 1/2 odds.
Essentially what I am doing is flipping a coin 128 times and it landing on the same side each time.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:23 am

MagsJ wrote:

That sounds familiar :-k lol.

Did you have a vague Idea of the answers, or none at all? none being not good.

Hadn't the vaguest idea of the answers, only the voice in my head was very clear which answer was the right answer, so I circled them without reading the answers.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:23 am

The test hasn't been graded yet, so we gotta wait 2 weeks for the answer to this. If they lose the test or don't grade it I'm gonna be very pissed.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby UrGod » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:25 pm

Statistical unlikeliness isn't proof of "magic".
I am your master.

“It’s half past fuck it with the caps lock on.”
-Bloodhound Gang
UrGod
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Which is tantamount to saying, there is no proof. The demonstration of magic plays out on the same physical plane as the spiritual plane, if there is some credence to that.

Why not give credence to the notion to there is more to reality then what can be verified? To not to admit to that gives equally disturbing thoughts , such as, whatever there is, only exists if it can be verified.
The probability between the pros and cons of either argument is at least as tenuous as flipping a coin.

And binary logic supercedes the laws of chance, of interpreting probability demonstrations, and trying to interpret them. The reason for that is, if probability was based more then on a flip of the coin, and probability per verification could mean an interaction between physical and hidden dimensions, then a very gifted man or an evil genius the type Descartes described, could in fact cause vast destruction. But
This is not so, evil geniuses can not cause world wide catastrophe, only the destruction of their mind and life.

'Those that God wishes to destroy, first make mad'.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:44 pm

Statistical unlikeliness isn't proof of "magic
".

Seems we have some neighhhsayers in the audience.
Last edited by Ultimate Philosophy 1001 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby UrGod » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:44 pm

Yes we must distinguish two separate principles: 1. Rational skepticism and 2. The Unknown. It is both the case, at the same time, that we should exercise rational limitation of our beliefs as well as exercise openness to possibility and the presently unknown-unverifiable.

The fact that these two separate principles are both true is confusing for most people. Most people want to establish a mutual exclusivity between them, but that isn't the case at all. In fact, ideally, the two principles would work together and support one another.

But regardless of that, believing in magic simply because something unlikely happened is stupid. But it would also be stupid to claim that "magic" (something presents unknown-unverifiable) is never the case or that extreme statistical unlikelihood doesn't at least open up a possibility for what can be called "magic".

If such a possibility occurs to you, that is a sign for further investigation, and not a sign to simply be converted into a "believer".
I am your master.

-Bloodhound Gang
UrGod
Philosopher

Postby UrGod » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Seems we have some neighhhsayers in the audience.

This is the kind of black and white thinking that is the problem, in both sides (the naive believer or the naive skeptic).
I am your master.

-Bloodhound Gang
UrGod
Philosopher

Postby UrGod » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:47 pm

Naive believers (religious people) and naive skeptics (scientists, nihilists) are much closer to each other than either are to philosophy... which is to say that both forms of naïveté are really the exact same thing, and not at all approaching truth.
I am your master.

-Bloodhound Gang
UrGod
Philosopher

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:48 pm

There was 4 questions with 4 options (16 options total). The voice in my head told me which options to choose without actually googling or reading the questions.
If they are all right, then good sense says magic is real. Anything else is naive.

It's like, 8 times out of 10 an object falls due to gravity, so we say gravity is real. And 2 out of 10 times it floats into the wind. So we say wind, is the causation, and the voices in my head are the causation.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby UrGod » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:42 am

That doesn't even remotely make sense.
I am your master.

-Bloodhound Gang
UrGod
Philosopher

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:53 am

There's no such thing as magic.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Next

Return to Science, Technology, and Math