Eggshells

I experience (chicken) eggshells as being weaker, more likely to end up in the bowl/pan. Used to be I could crack an egg in each hand at the same time, plop the eggs into whatever without particular care and once in a while use the shell to remove a stray bit of eggshell from what I was to cook. Now, regardless of the kind of egg, organic, not, large, small, free range, not, etc. - I usually end up with eggshell pieces in the eggs. Anyone else notice this?

Maybe it’s the bleach weakening the shells. Real chickens don’t make eggs that are all bleached out like the ones that you get in most grocery stores. You can go to some good grocery stores and the eggs aren’t all white like that.

OK, I’ll keep that in mind. I tend to get organic brown eggs, though these are coming out of agribusiness given my options where I am. Perhaps they bleach the brown ones so they look smooth and light.

I’ve been googling the phenomenon and I do see people mentioning it, but generally the explanations are all local: older hens, not enough calcium in those particular hens, xl eggs.

What I notice is a general trend, regardless of source/farmer.

Maybe it’s not the egg which is devolving. Maybe it’s the material, the substance in the bowl/pot whatever which you are cracking it on.

Then again, maybe it’s just you…the way you’r going about cracking… :mrgreen: