Eggshells

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Eggshells

Postby Moreno » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:09 am

I experience (chicken) eggshells as being weaker, more likely to end up in the bowl/pan. Used to be I could crack an egg in each hand at the same time, plop the eggs into whatever without particular care and once in a while use the shell to remove a stray bit of eggshell from what I was to cook. Now, regardless of the kind of egg, organic, not, large, small, free range, not, etc. - I usually end up with eggshell pieces in the eggs. Anyone else notice this?
Moreno
ILP Legend

Re: Eggshells

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:39 am

Maybe it's the bleach weakening the shells. Real chickens don't make eggs that are all bleached out like the ones that you get in most grocery stores. You can go to some good grocery stores and the eggs aren't all white like that.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Moreno » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:02 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:Maybe it's the bleach weakening the shells. Real chickens don't make eggs that are all bleached out like the ones that you get in most grocery stores. You can go to some good grocery stores and the eggs aren't all white like that.

OK, I'll keep that in mind. I tend to get organic brown eggs, though these are coming out of agribusiness given my options where I am. Perhaps they bleach the brown ones so they look smooth and light.

I've been googling the phenomenon and I do see people mentioning it, but generally the explanations are all local: older hens, not enough calcium in those particular hens, xl eggs.

What I notice is a general trend, regardless of source/farmer.
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed May 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Moreno wrote:I experience (chicken) eggshells as being weaker, more likely to end up in the bowl/pan. Used to be I could crack an egg in each hand at the same time, plop the eggs into whatever without particular care and once in a while use the shell to remove a stray bit of eggshell from what I was to cook. Now, regardless of the kind of egg, organic, not, large, small, free range, not, etc. - I usually end up with eggshell pieces in the eggs. Anyone else notice this?

Maybe it's not the egg which is devolving. Maybe it's the material, the substance in the bowl/pot whatever which you are cracking it on.

Then again, maybe it's just you...the way you'r going about cracking... :mrgreen:
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Return to Science, Technology, and Math