Center of the Earth in the Geocentric Model

It’s going to take me a few posts to finish this OP, as I have to hit multiple sources, the larger scope was on the development of the concepts of creating instruments for the use of determining time and space in the ancient world, that MAY be related to Diocles’ insights. I will have to, our of concern for quality preserverance, ask Peter Kropotkin and James Saint to stay out if the discussion, it’s aimed at a more scientific minded crowd, with interests in Greek and Roman philosophy and science.

I’ll make a note when the OP is finished a few posts down, I’ll have multiple premises going in different directions, such as the building of analog gears for primitive clocks, the use of gnomons for exploration and mapping, and the discovery of the procession of the equinox.

I apologize in advance to anyone reading this post interested in the history of science appalled by the trolling, I usually make such posts on history sites. I’m going to give it a shot here, to see if the forum is mature enough to handle it. Please ignore any discussions of Affectance or debates about people engaging in homosexual intrigue with objects in their house, animals, or other humans, or spontaneous rants about conservatives.

I’m taking this quote from Diocles “On Burning Mirrors” p. 38-42

smile.amazon.com/DIOCLES-Burning … ng+mirrors

It is believed Diocles was a contemporary of Apollonius of Perga.

The dates given by Wikipedia for Apollonius is 262-190 BC

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollonius_of_Perga

However, Pytheas was a Greek explorer, who lived, again, according to Wikipedia, in 350-285 BC.

Pytheas had been dead for 100 years. Yet, he is credited with exploring the coasts of England, the Baltic, and first Westerner to enter above the Arctic Circle, using Gnomons to mark his latitude.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollonius_of_Perga

This came out in the news a week or two back, prior to me reading Diocles (still reading him).

I will explain later on what interests me regarding this, I believe it had a influence (or was influenced by) Greek science, especially some of Zenodorus’ presumptions regarding Circles.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenodor … hematician

The way the time graph was used via sections to determine a trajectory can also be used to calculate a sphere from it’s center. This would produce paradoxes we still struggle with to this day regarding Pi, as we view a circle as a perfect, abstract object, and simultaneously a real, concrete thing to be measured… despite all circular shaped objects being a irregular polygon in physical form (and thus can’t be measured by Zenodorus’ measurements from the center).

Sorry, I just finished watching a Korean series called “The Slave Hunters”, and was researching most of the characters biographies the last few days… got a little distracted with Joseon era biographies.

Ephorus

I have to make note of him as he wrote on History, navies, and inventions. His works are largely list, but is a variable in the mix that can’t be looked over.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephorus